Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is paying Jason Taylor $8.5M the best use of salary cap dollars?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Is paying Jason Taylor $8.5M the best use of salary cap dollars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Can we even trust Vinny to draft a starting RT at #13? Who knows what Vinny, with his "Best Available Player" philosophy, might do?
Unless you just absolutely distrust the FO, which is certainly a lot of people on this board, everything I have heard reported was that the lines were the area that they need to concentrate on. Vinny's comments on 980 Friday were that last years picks need to step up so he's not going with WR/TE. Along with getting a solid DT in Haynesworth, and the DB's are set, why would we not get an OL guy? Not much reason to think we would do otherwise that I can see.

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
jsarno
Franchise Player

If we can afford it, why not? It's only one year, and the one reason that sticks out to me that makes it more OK (cause I am not 100% onboard with it) is that he already knows the system, and he performed a lot better in the latter part of the season. Of course injuries took their toll on him, and now that he's a year older, that is a serious risk, but he does have a great work ethic. So, again, as long as we can afford it, sure.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
All of the 1st rounders have been "no-brainers", meaning you can't give him credit for anything.
I don't think people realize how many teams use the best available player philosophy (Packers, Ravens, Colts, just to name three off the bat)

Anyway, we'll take an OT at #13 I'd imagine, but if the best OTs are gone by 13 we'll go LB. We're not taking William Beatty, for example, at 13
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
Eknox
Impact Rookie

he's definatley not worth 8.5 actually he should owe us 8.5 after last year..They are sayig that we made atwo year commitment , when are we going to ge the 1st year?..
Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eknox View Post
he's definatley not worth 8.5 actually he should owe us 8.5 after last year..They are sayig that we made atwo year commitment , when are we going to ge the 1st year?..
Lol. The man played through a severe knee sprain and came back after a life threatening injury.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
Lol. The man played through a severe knee sprain and came back after a life threatening injury.
touche'
Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #22
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

It's hard to say if Jason Taylor is worth $8.5 million dollars, in regards to NFL contracts, it's all monopoly money anyway. He did play through a life threatening injury. I will have to give him a pass and see what he does this year healthy. With the acquisition of Albert Haynesworth, I think Taylor will have a big year. I'm an optimist.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #23
44ever

Not only is he worth 8.5 but when he comes out in 09 and has a monster season. We will be asking him for another 2 years. Watch and see.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
gmoe
Camp Scrub

C'mon guys. Jason is two years removed from being the defensive mvp and still did a good job in Miami in his last year out of position. He had an awkward injury that he played through all year that really held him back. So now everyone is just dismissing him as old slow and weak? I find that very hard to believe. He didn't pan out to be what we dreamed of last year but give him a chance this year. If he doesn't do well next season then fine, he's out of here, no strings attached. But if he does well it's going to be funny to see what we might do to try and keep him. JT is a great player and didn't become old and feeble within one year of the Redskins.

Demetric Evans > Talk about a lack of a pass rush!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
C'mon guys. Jason is two years removed from being the defensive mvp and still did a good job in Miami in his last year out of position. He had an awkward injury that he played through all year that really held him back. So now everyone is just dismissing him as old slow and weak? I find that very hard to believe. He didn't pan out to be what we dreamed of last year but give him a chance this year. If he doesn't do well next season then fine, he's out of here, no strings attached. But if he does well it's going to be funny to see what we might do to try and keep him. JT is a great player and didn't become old and feeble within one year of the Redskins.

Demetric Evans > Talk about a lack of a pass rush!
Good first post gmoe. I agree
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #26
ChickenMonkey
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Good first post gmoe. I agree
Cant say that Im willing to chance Taylor having another bad year! Hes already 30+...Put him out there for a trade during the draft,
and if we can cut him...The offensive line needs more of an upgrade..Add Willis at RT right away, as well as OLB(Angello Crowell Or Kevin Burnett) Draft a DE in add OL, & OLB help in the later rounds
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #27
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Not only is he worth 8.5 but when he comes out in 09 and has a monster season. We will be asking him for another 2 years. Watch and see.
LOVE to watch and see that...but we'd overpay for him for those two years. Just like Bruce Smith. Love to see him stick around, he's a GREAT guy and he has an outstanding work ethic...he's good for the team and the community.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
I can easily see this happening if 2010 is uncapped. Haynesworth changes everything for our defense. The guy makes everyone around him better. I think Taylor will be worth every penny we spend on him in 2009, although i'd like to talk to him about an extension now to free up some cap space.

If we could cut his cap number in half this year, it would give us space to go after a starting caliber LB, FS, or a WR like Devery Henderson in free agency.
I say FS and WR would be nice to address because in FA because theyre both fairly cheap and theres some good players out there (compared to OL and DL) and they are positions where we could use some help. I'm 90% sure Landry will be moved to SS this year and itd be nice to give kareem Moore some competition for the starting FS spot. By all appearances, ARE will be gone in 2010, moss needs to move to the #2 or slot position sometime soon, and if we dont upgrade the position soon, it means we're counting on Kelly and Thomas to BOTH turn out to be good. I think Thomas can be a star but Kelly may only end up being more of a #3/posession WR.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.

Last edited by BigHairedAristocrat; 03-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #29
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
LOVE to watch and see that...but we'd overpay for him for those two years. Just like Bruce Smith. Love to see him stick around, he's a GREAT guy and he has an outstanding work ethic...he's good for the team and the community.
Let me rephrase my first post. He's worth the 8.5 but not the picks we lost for him.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #30
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I can easily see this happening if 2010 is uncapped. Haynesworth changes everything for our defense. The guy makes everyone around him better. I think Taylor will be worth every penny we spend on him in 2009, although i'd like to talk to him about an extension now to free up some cap space.

If we could cut his cap number in half this year, it would give us space to go after a starting caliber LB, FS, or a WR like Devery Henderson in free agency.
I say FS and WR would be nice to address because in FA because theyre both fairly cheap and theres some good players out there (compared to OL and DL) and they are positions where we could use some help. I'm 90% sure Landry will be moved to SS this year and itd be nice to give kareem Moore some competition for the starting FS spot. By all appearances, ARE will be gone in 2010, moss needs to move to the #2 or slot position sometime soon, and if we dont upgrade the position soon, it means we're counting on Kelly and Thomas to BOTH turn out to be good. I think Thomas can be a star but Kelly may only end up being more of a #3/posession WR.
Agreed BHA. But the question is does JT see himself playing past 2010?
Closed Thread