Advertisements
Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #77
WillH
The Starter

Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
And moving forward
I agree that in the moment there should be no question that this is the surest move they could have made to have a top 15 QB on the roster.

Keenum was the second veteran option, and would be betting on a guy with one good season. Maybe you pair him with a midround project, but what are the chances that duo would bring anything but more mediocrity?

If we wanted to draft any of the top 4 QBs we'd be in a ridiculous bidding war right now to trade up. A move that would likely cripple us for years all over again.

In the end though, AS will always be bench marked against Cousins, Keenum, and the rookies this year, if any of them out play him, everyone will in retrospect say it was the wrong move.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #78
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
I agree that in the moment there should be no question that this is the surest move they could have made to have a top 15 QB on the roster.

Keenum was the second veteran option, and would be betting on a guy with one good season. Maybe you pair him with a midround project, but what are the chances that duo would bring anything but more mediocrity?

If we wanted to draft any of the top 4 QBs we'd be in a ridiculous bidding war right now to trade up. A move that would likely cripple us for years all over again.

In the end though, AS will always be bench marked against Cousins, Keenum, and the rookies this year, if any of them out play him, everyone will in retrospect say it was the wrong move.

I think regardless, it was the only move the 'skins could've made other than to have paid Cousins twice as much as he would have taken with the Vikings - and then would've crippled any chances of filling out the rest of the roster.

In the end, I think Smith can easily play until he's 40.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #79
rickmmrr
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I think regardless, it was the only move the 'skins could've made other than to have paid Cousins twice as much as he would have taken with the Vikings - and then would've crippled any chances of filling out the rest of the roster.

In the end, I think Smith can easily play until he's 40.
Agreed. No sense complaining how the front office screwed up in the past. We have a QB that at the least is just as good as KC and at most is better than KC and the added bonus he wants to be a Redskin.
rickmmrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #80
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I wish SS were around to clarify the "Don't answer your phone" text from Bruce Allen.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.deb92dc044f9

It seems weird though that BA didn't just call Doug Williams with the news, and/or that DW wasn't able to be told even through a text.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #81
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I wish SS were around to clarify the "Don't answer your phone" text from Bruce Allen.

It seems weird though that BA didn't just call Doug Williams with the news, and/or that DW wasn't able to be told even through a text.
Who the hell knows or cares. It sounds like they all made the decision to target him together. That's what matters, that football people choose their targets. It's up to the BA and ES to get it done.

DW does not seem upset about it. Why should I be?

Old 03-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #82
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Who the hell knows or cares. It sounds like they all made the decision to target him together. That's what matters, that football people choose their targets. It's up to the BA and ES to get it done.

DW does not seem upset about it. Why should I be?

Fair enough, just seems odd to me that's all.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #83
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

Sounds like Bruce made the trade but they pawn Doug out for the press conference. Very weird.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #84
MTK
\m/

Bruce is the point person for making deals happen, I'm not sure why that's strange at all. Doesn't mean Doug or Gruden wasn't involved, as the article says:

Quote:
The Redskins internally had discussed the possibility of acquiring Smith, the first overall pick in the 2005 draft, as early as wild-card weekend in early January, with the personnel department making a list of all of the free agent quarterbacks and trade possibilities during postseason meetings. They rated Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford, Chad Henne, Josh McCown and others.

“But Alex was our main focus, so nobody else mattered,” Williams said. And with Smith having only one year remaining on his Kansas City deal, and 2017 first-round pick Patrick Mahomes II poised to be the future of the Chiefs, Washington knew “there was a possibility they could move on” from Smith, Gruden said.
This is the way I've heard it described too, a list was put together by the personnel dept, Alex was at the top of the list, and Allen made it happen.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #85
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Bruce is the point person for making deals happen, I'm not sure why that's strange at all. Doesn't mean Doug or Gruden wasn't involved, as the article says:

This is the way I've heard it described too, a list was put together by the personnel dept, Alex was at the top of the list, and Allen made it happen.
Again the only point I thought was weird was the cryptic, to me, text "don't answer your phone". But maybe they had had conversations earlier clarifying that.

Regardless, yes it sounds like the whole team staff bought in, and was kept at football level decision making so I like all that.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #86
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Just think about this, since Allen has been here, he's given away a total of 6 draft picks trying to get a QB. These are picks that don't actually include the drafted player. IDK of anyone in the NFL that would be able to get away with that. Let's hope the last one is the one that leads us to a SB.

3 RG3
2 McNabb
1 Smith
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #87
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Well the Jets took a qb in the second last year, and without him playing a regular season down traded 4 high quality picks to move up this year.

Cleveland, well it's cleveland

Minnesota traded how much to Philly for Bradford?

Other than lightning in a bottle, or sucking for Luck type seasons, attempts to get quality qb's cost draft and cap capital. Nearly every team with a bottom tier qb has made similar jumps to get "the guy"
Old 03-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #88
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

per PFF, Smith ranked 1st in big time throws, meaning throws that could be risky or that result in a TO.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #89
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
per PFF, Smith ranked 1st in big time throws, meaning throws that could be risky or that result in a TO.
Close, but not exactly....

Old 03-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #90
WillH
The Starter

So he and Brady not only have a lot of big time throws, but are also not risky with their throws.

Notice, BTW, which quadrant that the Redskins logo is in.