Whats up with the D-Line?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
whistler
Special Teams

Re: Whats up with the D-Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I just pointed this out in another thread, but here goes again. We are not as strong against the run as we think. We are actually in the bottom third of the league when it comes to yards per carry - only nine teams give up more than us. We are up there in total yards, but teams dont run alot on us. Why - because they know how easy it is to pass on us. The only team that really attacked us on the ground was the Rams and they shredded us for 170 yards.
This post is correct, the run defense is not that good by the front 3 or 5 as it is. They get blocked and stay blocked. Also, there is absolutely no pass rush or pressure, that's why opposing qbs have an extremely high passer rating against the skin's defense. It not all the dbs fault, however some fault does lie with the dbs not being asked to cover tighter, longer. The pass rush is terrible, watch a game, the opposing qbs usually have more that 3 seconds regularly in obvious passing situations. NO PASS RUSH.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #32
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I just pointed this out in another thread, but here goes again. We are not as strong against the run as we think. We are actually in the bottom third of the league when it comes to yards per carry - only nine teams give up more than us. We are up there in total yards, but teams dont run alot on us. Why - because they know how easy it is to pass on us. The only team that really attacked us on the ground was the Rams and they shredded us for 170 yards.
A scary thought.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
those numbers don't tell the whole story, just like this one doesn't, either:

redskins a top 10 rushing defense w 89 rushing yards allowed per game.
True enough but at the same time we have to realize that our offense is either making teams play catch up or nipping at their heels. On top of that our pass defenses is swiss cheese and it's just been too for a lot of our opponents rack up passing yards.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #34
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Nothing is wrong with the Redskins d-line. They are rock solid against the run.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
No they are not. They are in the bottom third of the league in yards per carry. Teams just dont run the ball on us because of our inabiility to cover anybodys pass game. When they do run they are successful. Stats dont lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Our defensive line is absolutely not getting any kind of pressure on the qb. The stat that they have been strong against the run is a bit deceiving. Thanks in large part to RGIII, and the offense scoring mad point early. Thus having opposing offenses going to the pass to try to get back in games. Our defense is horrid, and truly a disgrace to be considered an NFL caliber defense. I put the blame on Hasslett. I feel that there is too much talent on the d-line for it to not to be doing better. I looks to me to be a technique and scheme thing. Hasslett has to go after this year, and we need an upgrade at the db position.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #37
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
No they are not. They are bottom ten in yards allowed per rush. I'd wager that if people didn't throw so much on us, that number might even be higher................We gotta shore that up to make a run in the NFCE. Lesean McCoy and Bradshaw are both going to cream us if we don't...
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #38
RGIII

I know Chris Baker is penned as a reserve NT but, I say work him at DE too. Guys' size don't always determine if they will have success at any position.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
No they are not. They are bottom ten in yards allowed per rush. I'd wager that if people didn't throw so much on us, that number might even be higher................We gotta shore that up to make a run in the NFCE. Lesean McCoy and Bradshaw are both going to cream us if we don't...
I think you have some fair points but still think we are better if they have to run due to weather. Just playing with the stats, we are tied with Houston for 4th least rush attempts against our defense. And 19th in yards per attempt. As is our nature, though, we have a tendency to be a stiff defense, then give up one or two long runs. The longest being 53 (6th longest in the league).

Ultimately, while ATL might get one or two big plays it won't be a scoring fest for them if the game is more run oriented.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #40
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I hate beating a dead horse, but the real evaluation of the defense is comparing it to what Mike and Bruce inherited, and simply put this defense is garbage in comparison. Just garbage. I don't give two shits about one run defense stat. What matters are points scored, and the pre-Shanahan defense rarely gave up more than 20 points a game.
Also, the argument defense is giving up points because we have a high scoring offense is beyond absurd. C'mon guys let's not circulate nonsense that sounds like we're grade school kids on the internet here. The pre Shanahan defense spent a lot of time on the field (more than it does today to be sure) and still gave up fewer points. This defense gives up points because it's a lousy defense. Period.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #41
Defensewins
Playmaker

Stats can be misleading and I think it is a bit inaccurate to look at only 4 weeks of stats and think you have a complete picture. You are only as good or bad as the teams you play.
The #1 defense though only 4 games the Texans have played Miami, Jacksonville, Denver and Tennessee (with out Locker). There a no "super" playoff team on that list except possibly Denver, but they have been having growing pains at times with Manning. Certainly no sure Superbowl bound teams on that list.

Yes, our defense is not very good right now. The injury to DE Adam Carriker did more damage to our line and line rotation than we thought it would. The suspension of Tanard Jackson was huge, we really needed his skills.

I really do not like the way we are using Kedric Golston. He really does not provide anything on our 3-4 scheme. No strong pass rush, no strong run stopper. You never ever see him making a difference and knocking an O-lineman back on his heels or making a sack or big hit. I have nothing against the guy other than when he plays he grabs onto an offensive lineman and does nothing else. It is time to move on. I would like to give some of the others Worthington, Chris Baker, Dominique Hamilton or Chigbo Anunoboy some more playing time and see what we have. We have seen 7 years of Kedric Goldsten and he is not going to be anything more than what he is now, a mediocre career backup.
The only other change I would like to see besides adding two great safety's and great Cb this next off season, is finding a real defensive play caller other than Hasslett. Play calling and in game adjustments are his weakness. Just like Golston, we have given Hasslett plenty of time to see what he offers and frankly it is not enough. We need more from our defensive coordinator.

Last edited by Defensewins; 10-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I hate beating a dead horse, but the real evaluation of the defense is comparing it to what Mike and Bruce inherited, and simply put this defense is garbage in comparison. Just garbage. I don't give two shits about one run defense stat. What matters are points scored, and the pre-Shanahan defense rarely gave up more than 20 points a game.
Also, the argument defense is giving up points because we have a high scoring offense is beyond absurd. C'mon guys let's not circulate nonsense that sounds like we're grade school kids on the internet here. The pre Shanahan defense spent a lot of time on the field (more than it does today to be sure) and still gave up fewer points. This defense gives up points because it's a lousy defense. Period.
I tend to believe that our defense looks worse than it previously did in large part because in the past offenses didn't have to try so hard to keep up with our own.

But more importantly, I don't think it's too fair to make the comparison because you had a lot of older/2nd tier guys when Shanahan came on that had to be moved out to make room for future players who could grow with the team. We wouldn't be too well served right now with H.B. Blades, Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Anthony Montgomery, Renaldo Wynn
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #43
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

All four of our games have been track meets. With two of them making the other teams offense come back from being down 14 + points. Our defense is bad at times giving up big plays BUT they have also scored two TDs and have been creating turnovers. We will see tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #44
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
3-4 lineman aren't going to put up pretty stats. Just look at the results against the run and that's all you need to tell you they're doing their job.
This is what makes JJ Watts so special.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #45
skins89moss
Playmaker

Our defense took a big hit losing AC and Rak in the same game. I think we are not getting a lot of pressure on the QB because teams are getting the ball out quicker against out defense. Our run defense will be tested today by the Falcons and they will use alot of PA to set up the passing game. Our LB's and secondary better be discipline in their coverage assignments because Matt Ryan is very good with his ball fake on PA. I think getting pressure on the QB is much easier when you get a lead or when its 3rd and long. I was hoping to see Brandon Merriweather at SS to see if he would make a impact on our defense. Ryan Kerrigan is a Beast fellas so glad we drafted him. I think he is better than Orakpo. We need Chris Wilson and Rob J. to continue to improve every week.