Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #46
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 18,370
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Our team was playing great defense over the first eight games. Our offense could barely move the ball. To make the argument that we were 6-2 because of check down Alex is blatantly false. That bum was below average throughout the season.



We wasn't going to the playoffs because our defense fell apart. We sucked and you know it.
Part of the teams great defense was solid competent mistake free qb play. Thats a fact and that was Alex Smith

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #47
DYoungJelly
The Starter
 
DYoungJelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Clintwood, VA
Posts: 2,217
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Our team was playing great defense over the first eight games. Our offense could barely move the ball. To make the argument that we were 6-2 because of check down Alex is blatantly false. That bum was below average throughout the season.



We wasn't going to the playoffs because our defense fell apart. We sucked and you know it.
The defense was a little over hyped near the beginning of the year because of the record.

The Tampa, Atlanta, and NO games really exposed them.

It's probably more accurate to say they were really good against run first teams who lacked a dynamic passing attack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm tired of these monkey fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 07-05-2019 at 09:42 AM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #48
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 94,212
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

I thought the QB's job was to win games, something Smith has done quite a bit of (96-71-1).
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #49
sdskinsfan2001
Franchise Player
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,655
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

What is the point to be so angry and mad about Alex? He is injured, he won't be playing this year, and likely not ever again (at least here).

If I spent so much time angry at past stuff this team or its players did that I did not like, my head would explode.

Let it go and move on. We even got a potential young franchise QB out of it.
__________________
Soon to be sdredwolvesfan2001 aka artist formerly known as sdskinsfan2001
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 AM   #50
Warthog
The Starter
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 1,109
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

I seriously doubt if Alex Smith will ever play another game in the NFL. This year he recovers and coaches up Dwayne Haskins. Next season Dwayne will be the starter one way or another, which means Alex - if he fully recovers will be the backup or third string QB. There is little incentive for Alex to further risk his health playing in the NFL - he gets paid regardless. Thank you Bruce, for this ridiculous contract for a QB who was 35.
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #51
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 5,425
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I seriously doubt if Alex Smith will ever play another game in the NFL. This year he recovers and coaches up Dwayne Haskins. Next season Dwayne will be the starter one way or another, which means Alex - if he fully recovers will be the backup or third string QB. There is little incentive for Alex to further risk his health playing in the NFL - he gets paid regardless. Thank you Bruce, for this ridiculous contract for a QB who was 35.
You hit the nail on the head. To me, it was never about Alex but it was always about the shocking huge contract the Skins offered him just when we were about to benefit from the huge cap relief gained by Cousins leaving.

We needed a veteran QB as a stopgap until we could draft and develop a promising young QB to take over the reins but that stopgap QB didn't need to be Alex Smith and the contract with whomever we signed should have been reasonable.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:33 AM   #52
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 3,616
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
You hit the nail on the head. To me, it was never about Alex but it was always about the shocking huge contract the Skins offered him just when we were about to benefit from the huge cap relief gained by Cousins leaving.

We needed a veteran QB as a stopgap until we could draft and develop a promising young QB to take over the reins but that stopgap QB didn't need to be Alex Smith and the contract with whomever we signed should have been reasonable.
And there are QBs older than Smith in the league who are starters....namely Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady.....so I would think Alex's age is insignificant.....
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #53
Ruhskins
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20,145
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
And there are QBs older than Smith in the league who are starters....namely Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady.....so I would think Alex's age is insignificant.....
And QBs are always going to be overpaid, hence why an above average QB like Cousins, who puts up gaudy but sometimes insignificant numbers, gets a fully guaranteed contract.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"If you have to debate which of your 3 QBs is your best, you don't have a QB. Say it with me now... it... doesn't... matter." Schneed
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #54
Warthog
The Starter
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 1,109
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I think the guys complaining about Alex's contract haven't kept up on the escalating QB salaries. His contract was not excessive for even someone who was average and Alex is above average.
I think ppl are upset because Alex should have been a stopgap contract until we drafted a franchise QB. Now we have Haskins as that potential franchise QB and we'll have Alex Smith as the most highly paid backup QB in the NFL.

We paid Alex so much because Bruce Allen panicked after mismanaging the Cousins deal. He had no backup plan to Cousins if he went elsewhere. So he looked at Smith's record and hired him based on those wins - which were because he played for very good teams. Even if Alex had stayed healthy last year, teams were getting the measure of him and we wouldn't have won many more games after a good start.
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #55
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 94,212
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Smith probably wouldn't have agreed to a "stopgap contract". Nobody could have predicted he would suffer a catastrophic injury. It sucks for both sides. No use in crying about it now.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #56
sdskinsfan2001
Franchise Player
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,655
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

On a positive note, he got to take that contraption off of his leg. Big step. Keep getting better dude.
__________________
Soon to be sdredwolvesfan2001 aka artist formerly known as sdskinsfan2001
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #57
Warthog
The Starter
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 1,109
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Smith probably wouldn't have agreed to a "stopgap contract". Nobody could have predicted he would suffer a catastrophic injury. It sucks for both sides. No use in crying about it now.
Alex hasn't been an injury-prone QB. He may have not agreed to a 1-2 year deal, why should he? But Bruce signed a 35-year old QB for a 5-year contract, based on his wins, which he got by playing a "no mistakes" brand of football for very good teams.

Allen should have sucked it up with a one-year QB until we could draft for a franchise QB. I'm not blaming Alex smith, he got the most that he could and unfortunately got hurt. I'm blaming Bruce Allen for making a dumb personnel move that will cost the 'skins lots of cap money.
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #58
Ruhskins
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20,145
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Alex hasn't been an injury-prone QB. He may have not agreed to a 1-2 year deal, why should he? But Bruce signed a 35-year old QB for a 5-year contract, based on his wins, which he got by playing a "no mistakes" brand of football for very good teams.

Allen should have sucked it up with a one-year QB until we could draft for a franchise QB. I'm not blaming Alex smith, he got the most that he could and unfortunately got hurt. I'm blaming Bruce Allen for making a dumb personnel move that will cost the 'skins lots of cap money.
Unless you have the foresight of knowing that he was going to have a season/potentially career ending injury, I don't get about the complaints about Smith's contract. People would have gone ape shit here, if they'd sign Keenum last year as a stop gap. QBs are always overpaid, and even a stopgap QB would have cost money.

Also, the team was winning with Alex's "no mistakes" brand of football. Not the way people liked it, but they were winning. And things would have been a hell of a lot better, had Alex stayed healthy.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"If you have to debate which of your 3 QBs is your best, you don't have a QB. Say it with me now... it... doesn't... matter." Schneed
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #59
Warthog
The Starter
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 1,109
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Unless you have the foresight of knowing that he was going to have a season/potentially career ending injury, I don't get about the complaints about Smith's contract. People would have gone ape shit here, if they'd sign Keenum last year as a stop gap. QBs are always overpaid, and even a stopgap QB would have cost money.

Also, the team was winning with Alex's "no mistakes" brand of football. Not the way people liked it, but they were winning. And things would have been a hell of a lot better, had Alex stayed healthy.
The Redskins were winning with Smith in very close games last year - games which could have gone either way based on just one or two plays. I think our opponents were starting get the measure of Smith - what he could do well and also what he could NOT do and were changing their defenses based on his style of play. The defenses were really starting to shut him down. IF he had stayed healthy last season, I don't think we would have won many more games.

Alex Smith's style of play can help a very good team win games. But those very good teams let him go because his upside is so very limited. If he was a real franchise QB, his former teams wouldn't have dumped him. Bruce Allen mismanaged Kirk Cousins (who we should have let go) and then paid a top salary on a long contract to an aging QB who is decent but not the future QB of this team.

If smith hadn't been hurt, which no one could predict, I think we would have seen why other teams dumped him. He's going to be a cap black hole and will never play a regular-season game for the Redskins.
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,942
Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Unless you have the foresight of knowing that he was going to have a season/potentially career ending injury, I don't get about the complaints about Smith's contract. People would have gone ape shit here, if they'd sign Keenum last year as a stop gap. QBs are always overpaid, and even a stopgap QB would have cost money.

Also, the team was winning with Alex's "no mistakes" brand of football. Not the way people liked it, but they were winning. And things would have been a hell of a lot better, had Alex stayed healthy.
My complaint:

1.Very average QB coming off career year with an offensive guru.
2. Was 33 turning 34 in May when we got him
3. Too long of a contract
4. Decision maker was Bruce Allen, an extensive history of poor handling of the QB position

In terms of Alex season, AP was the MVP, Smith was a benefactor of his success. Plus they were peaking as an offense. Smith was having another garbage game when he got hurt.
__________________
Happy Thanksgiving!
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.45020 seconds with 12 queries