Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
Warthog
The Starter

Alex Smith was hurt in a game I was at. I knew the injury was bad because of how fast they got him out of there.

It was a Compound Fracture, which means the broken bone is exposed thru the skin. Multiple surgeries, then bacteria in the wound, then sepsis - which is an extremely dangerous condition.
Finally, he beats that life-threatening condition, and starts to comeback. And how he has come back - not to the level just to be able to walk as a 34-year old, but perhaps even to come back to PLAY AGAIN IN THE NFL.

This post-season, Alex made it clear he DOESN’T want a NFL football management position, which also negated the possibility of being Dan Snyder’s football knowledgeable guru buddy.

Due to Bruce Allen’s incredibly generous (read : ridiculous) contract, he will get $21 mill in guaranteed money this season, so he doesn’t need to play a single play this season. BUT, he wants to play again! And based on the latest released video’s of him moving around in a hospital evaluation room, he MAY BE ABLE TO PLAY QB once again.

So, what should he do? Play in the NFL or play it safe for his remaining non-NFL life?
How should the Redskin’s use him? Backup and QB whisperer to Haskins, as he did for Mahomes? Many of the Chiefs say he was an inspiration as the team moved forward after Mahomes took over as QB. OR should the Redskins use Alex Smith to CHALLENGE Dwayne Haskins for the #1 QB spot? What say you all about the truly “Bionic Man”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Last edited by Warthog; 02-12-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
Warthog
The Starter

Use Alex Smith as the backup QB, as long as he qualifies medically and physically. Heck, we might as well get something for the money. He can continue to help Haskins grow and the Redskins to mature and build a winning culture.

DO NOT need or want ANOTHER QB “competition”. Haskins is our QB, for better or worse, and he needs the first-team reps that he was denied last season under Gruden and Callahan. We don’t need another season where Haskins splits the reps and game starts with someone else. In other words, Alex Smith is the backup QB, period.

Haskins needs to grow into a franchise QB or NOT, but splitting his reps and starts with another QB (like Smith) just delays us knowing how good he is and him getting to the top of his potential - whatever that is.

Flyboy.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

In the interview he did (before the superbowl?) ... sounded like some days he cant even plant and throw a ball.

hes had 17 surgeries including "limb salvage" surgery where they cut out the infected parts of his bone then graft it with other peoples donated bones and a metal.

$$$$ is the only reason he is trying to come back. Im sure he still does want to play but he has to know it seems like a 2% chance. If he retires, he may forfeit or even pay back some of that huge guaranteed money. I also read that the redskins insurance on him requires him to try and come back? Didnt fully understand it.

Im not mad about it. Skins gave him a ton of guaranted money, hes doing what any player would do. Plus he gets top notch PT and rehab. I do kinda roll my eyes when I read how courageous he is for trying to come back .. dude he has like 32.2 MILLION reasons to not retire. Courageous?

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...4-limb-salvage
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-leg-infection

Skins will cut him after 2020 when his dead cap isnt so bad.

edit - after reading my post I think I come across as being to dismissive of him with the "courageous" stuff. Yes it is courageous and took him a ton of hard work to just get to where he is today and he still has a long road ahead of him. I guess my point is, once his bones snapped and got infected .. he, like any one of us in that situation, have no choice but to be "courageous" and go through surgeries and rehab.

Options are die or follow your doctors advice. Every single one of us would also be just as courageous as Alex Smith if we had both our leg bones broken and sepsis/infection.

I feel bad for the guy, tip my hat to him.

Last edited by SunnySide; 02-12-2020 at 10:11 AM.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Man's gotta finish up and get that retirement bonus before the Redskins let him walk.

Idk about you guys, but everyone loves a courageous gritty comeback story. The only solution is let him battle Haskins for the starting job in camp.

/s

I mean really, does this end with any other route than him retiring after collecting his money from the Skins? Even assuming he gets back to full health in the next year or so, who the hell is going to bring in a late 30's guy who hasn't played football in 2-3 years and let him compete for a starting job?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Alex Smith was hurt in a game I was at. I knew the injury was bad because of how fast they got him out of there.

It was a Compound Fracture, which means the broken bone is exposed thru the skin. Multiple surgeries, then bacteria in the wound, then sepsis - which is an extremely dangerous condition.
Finally, he beats that life-threatening condition, and starts to comeback. And how he has come back - not to the level just to be able to walk as a 34-year old, but perhaps even to come back to PLAY AGAIN IN THE NFL.

This post-season, Alex made it clear he DOESN’T want a NFL football management position, which also negated the possibility of being Dan Snyder’s football knowledgeable guru buddy.

Due to Bruce Allen’s incredibly generous (read : ridiculous) contract, he will get $21 mill in guaranteed money this season, so he doesn’t need to play a single play this season. BUT, he wants to play again! And based on the latest released video’s of him moving around in a hospital evaluation room, he MAY BE ABLE TO PLAY QB once again.

So, what should he do? Play in the NFL or play it safe for his remaining non-NFL life?
How should the Redskin’s use him? Backup and QB whisperer to Haskins, as he did for Mahomes? Many of the Chiefs say he was an inspiration as the team moved forward after Mahomes took over as QB. OR should the Redskins use Alex Smith to CHALLENGE Dwayne Haskins for the #1 QB spot? What say you all about the truly “Bionic Man”?

Why do people keep saying that? Just because he got hurt? He was paid market rate for his standing in the NFL's QB class, nothing more. If Alex is healthy and wants to be a mentor to Haskins and QB#2 I am fine with that.
We don't need a competition with Haskins looking over his shoulder. Time to see if Dwayne is the long term answer or not.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

I don't think it's about money for him at all. He's just got that crazy competitive drive and he wants to push himself as far as he can. That said I find it awfully hard to believe that leg will ever be able to hold up to the rigors of playing in the NFL again. But you can't help but root for him.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I don't think it's about money for him at all. He's just got that crazy competitive drive and he wants to push himself as far as he can. That said I find it awfully hard to believe that leg will ever be able to hold up to the rigors of playing in the NFL again. But you can't help but root for him.

I agree. He’s got the huge guaranteed money no matter what. He could be just taking it easy and trying to learn to walk without a limp. But he’s pushing it very, very hard to get back on the field.

My question is this: let’s say he get’s himself “football ready” BUT his doctor says, “one big hit from a 300+ lb DE on your injury site could leave you a cripple”. What would he do then? What would you do?

I’m rooting for him but wonder if a comeback comes with a serious, hidden danger. Like any player who wonders, “can I take one more concussion?”

Flyboy.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

The injury almost killed him. Would a doctor even sign off on him playing again?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

It's key to understand the salary cap side of this because it rules out cutting him as a legit option. Alex's salary is guaranteed this year so if we cut him the cap hit would be the same as if we kept him on the roster this year.

So from a cap perspective you are incentivized to keep him. There's no financial benefit to cutting him.

As for what to do with him, I think if setting a culture is what I'm primarily looking to do, I'd let the team see how hard Alex is working to get back, and thus you give him a legit chance to work his way back and prove himself. If he can do it physically, and he can show enough to compete with Haskins and win the job, then you give him the starting job.

Whether or not that's a long shot is irrelevant. The team needs to see that you're keeping an open mind and ready to reward the best player.

And if he works his ass off but still physically unable to perform, then you shelve him again on PUP/IR.

As for whether he'd help mentor or develop Haskins, I think he'd be doing that no matter his physical condition (both Mahomes and Haskins have said he was helpful in this regard). As long as he's on the roster, and like I said he has to be because of $, then he'll be an active mentor.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I agree. He’s got the huge guaranteed money no matter what.

Not if he retires. He would most likely have to actually pay the Skins back some money.

According to the CBA, “any player who willfully fails to report, practice or play” due to poor conduct, incarceration, or voluntary retirement “may be required to forfeit signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus and/or reporting bonus.”

Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Borland ... they not only forfeited future guaranteed money but had to pay back prior already paid signing bonus money.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
Defensewins
Playmaker

I think Alex Smith is smart enough to not try and play again. NFL is no joke.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The injury almost killed him. Would a doctor even sign off on him playing again?
Important to understand though that the condition that almost killed him was sepsis - which is what happens when an infection gets into your bloodstream and spreads all throughout the body.

Once the infection is eradicated with antibiotics, there are no lingering effects from the infection. The body returns to full health. The doctor won't have a problem with his returning because of the infection, the infection and the sepsis isn't the problem. The problem is whether the leg can bounce back given all the tissue that had to be removed.

And on that point all we can do is wait and see, and let the doctors evaluate how well he's moving around this summer leading into camp. If he's moving around well and passing physical exams, then there's no reason he can't play again. All signs point to him making pretty good physical progress, I wouldn't rule it out at all.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Not if he retires. He would most likely have to actually pay the Skins back some money.

According to the CBA, “any player who willfully fails to report, practice or play” due to poor conduct, incarceration, or voluntary retirement “may be required to forfeit signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus and/or reporting bonus.”

Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Borland ... they not only forfeited future guaranteed money but had to pay back prior already paid signing bonus money.
If Alex retires I don't see how you could call it "voluntary" after he almost lost his leg and worse yet his life.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Important to understand though that the condition that almost killed him was sepsis - which is what happens when an infection gets into your bloodstream and spreads all throughout the body.

Once the infection is eradicated with antibiotics, there are no lingering effects from the infection. The body returns to full health. The doctor won't have a problem with his returning because of the infection, the infection and the sepsis isn't the problem. The problem is whether the leg can bounce back given all the tissue that had to be removed.

And on that point all we can do is wait and see, and let the doctors evaluate how well he's moving around this summer leading into camp. If he's moving around well and passing physical exams, then there's no reason he can't play again. All signs point to him making pretty good physical progress, I wouldn't rule it out at all.
Oh I know about the sepsis, almost killed my Dad too. Smith was also faced with the decision of amputation or saving the limb. Thankfully it worked out for him.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #15
Meks
Pro Bowl

I'd root for him, but really wouldn't want to see the guy complicate his life after football just because he wants to play again. Ridiculous contract is right and its a shame from every side that it worked out this way. W/ever happens happens but I doubt we see him on the field again.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote