Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Derrius Guice’s ACL tear is latest example of the injury bug devouring the Redskins. Again. And again.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #46
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Derrius Guice’s ACL tear is latest example of the injury bug devouring the Redskins. Again. And again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
People talk about the pussification of football with the rule changes, but damn the fans are just as guilty if not more with wanting to put players in bubble wrap in camp and preseason games lol

It’s football, it’s a rough game equivalent to going through a car crash on a weekly basis. Watching games sometimes I’m amazed there aren’t actually more injuries

Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but let’s not rip the league for trying to make it safer while also complaining when players get hurt. Would it have been any better if Guice got hurt in week 1 of the regular season? It sucks either way
Very good points. Injuries happen and in some cases there isn't a particular reason or person to blame.

Honestly, one thing the league could do is to increase beyond the current 53 player roster. Owners don't want to do this, because it means more salaries for them to have to pay. But I think more players could help with wear and tear of players, especially during preseason.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #47
jamf
Pro Bowl

Re: Derrius Guice’s ACL tear is latest example of the injury bug devouring the Redskins. Again. And again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
People talk about the pussification of football with the rule changes, but damn the fans are just as guilty if not more with wanting to put players in bubble wrap in camp and preseason games lol

It’s football, it’s a rough game equivalent to going through a car crash on a weekly basis. Watching games sometimes I’m amazed there aren’t actually more injuries

Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but let’s not rip the league for trying to make it safer while also complaining when players get hurt. Would it have been any better if Guice got hurt in week 1 of the regular season? It sucks either way
Absolutely!

I think a soft training camp exposes the players to more injuries.
Players need to get accustomed to hitting and being hit.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #48
Schneed10
A Dude

Agree with Matty. You have to practice to play well, and you've got to have depth to withstand the inevitable injuries. Might as well practice hard so that the ones who do make it out without injuries are trained properly and ready to go.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #49
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

When are people going to start thinking this is more than just bad luck? Players getting injured seemed to go through the roof when Gruden took over.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #50
calia
Playmaker

I'd be curious to know whether in the analysis of teams that have lots of injuries what you can learn when one looks at trends over years. So, for example, if we saw that team A was year-after-year at the bottom of the list in terms of lost players to injuries, I'd want to see if there's anything that they are doing (or not doing) that would seem to be the cause. This assumes, of course, that there are longer term trends, and I have no idea if it is true. But it would be interesting to know.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #51
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
When are people going to start thinking this is more than just bad luck? Players getting injured seemed to go through the roof when Gruden took over.
But how do you attribute Guice’s injury to anything done under Gruden when Guice has spent all of three months with the Redskins? Doesn’t pass the sniff test.

We were among the very hardest hit with injuries last year but others were too - SF, NYG, and the Colts were all decimated too. We had bad luck but nothing you’d consider a statistical anomaly to the point where you can question Gruden’s processes. Doesn’t make sense.

I do think maybe we need a tougher culture. But no amount of toughness can prevent an ACL. That shit just happens.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #52
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I'd be curious to know whether in the analysis of teams that have lots of injuries what you can learn when one looks at trends over years. So, for example, if we saw that team A was year-after-year at the bottom of the list in terms of lost players to injuries, I'd want to see if there's anything that they are doing (or not doing) that would seem to be the cause. This assumes, of course, that there are longer term trends, and I have no idea if it is true. But it would be interesting to know.
I would bet money Dan did just that before spending close to a mil upgrading all the recovery facilities.

He gets a lot of flak and deserves a lot but he is shrewd with the check book.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #53
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Put some blame on Bruce Allen. He is constantly getting guys with injury histories.
Thompson and Reed are elite players but they fell in the draft because of injuries. CT broke his back and tore an ACL. Reed had several concussions in college.

Same goes for free agents like Gallette and Taylor.
Both were so broken down last year they shouldn’t count against IR.
The same goes for DHall.

Nicholson, Fuller, and Moreau all slipped in the draft because of injuries.
Nicholson unfortunately has bad shoulders at the safety position which is unfortunate.
Fuller was limited his rookie season while recovering from ACL surgery but was outstanding last year in the slot.
Moreau was limited last year but we all expect him to play well but who knows if he can hold up. At least corners don’t take the beating RB and TE take.

Nicholson will probably only survive 6 games.
I got Reed in there for 8.
CT will play 16 but daddy gruden is going to keep bubble wrap on him by limiting his touches to under 15 a game.

The best ability is availability!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #54
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I would bet money Dan did just that before spending close to a mil upgrading all the recovery facilities.

He gets a lot of flak and deserves a lot but he is shrewd with the check book.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Interesting thought. Hopefully, we’ll see some results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #55
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Put some blame on Bruce Allen. He is constantly getting guys with injury histories.
Thompson and Reed are elite players but they fell in the draft because of injuries. CT broke his back and tore an ACL. Reed had several concussions in college.

The same goes for DHall.

Nicholson unfortunately has bad shoulders at the safety position which is unfortunate.
Fuller was limited his rookie season while recovering from ACL surgery but was outstanding last year in the slot.
Moreau was limited last year but we all expect him to play well but who knows if he can hold up. At least corners don’t take the beating RB and TE take.

CT will play 16 but daddy gruden is going to keep bubble wrap on him by limiting his touches to under 15 a game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but last year all Nicholson sustained were 2 concussions. Don't see why he'd be deemed injury prone yet...
Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #56
Giantone
Gamebreaker

My response is to the point of injuries and I agree with everyone here that there has been a major uptick in them over the last few years ,for many teams. While you're never going to stop injuries in the NFL, it is the nature of the beast I believe and this is"only my opinion" that much of these were(are) brought on by the collective bargaining agreement and the playing surface's now.
Yes there were injuries in the "older days" but not like this. Hitting was always what you did ,to me I don't think the players hit enough, when I played the more you hit the more you got use to it and to me the new rubber fields look great but just plain suck.Do I have any proof of any of this ,no.
I never thought the sport should be a year round thing ,many players just don't get enough time off to recuperate. That's why these guys use to have 7 pre season games ....more time to get into game shape. I still believe these teams aren't ready when the season starts ,they still need at least another 3/4 weeks before they have it down. Again just my take ,thanks.

Last edited by Giantone; 08-15-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #57
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post

The same goes for DHall.

I completely agree. This front office does draft talented players that have slipped in the draft because of injury concerns or are injured during draft. Could this practice lead to a roster with more injury prone players? There are more than you listed.
A few more that come to mind:
LB Shaun Dion Hamilton
RB Keith Marshall
Arie Kouandjio
There are more, I cannot remember them all.
Then we paid a lot of money on FA WR Paul Richardson, a player that has missed a lot due to injuries.
We resigned G Shaun Lauvao who has missed a lot of time to injury
We resigned TE Jordan Reed to a big contract knowing he has a reoccurring concussion problem.
Our FO made these moves knowing our teams injury problems and that these players have a history. Maybe time to rethink this bargain shopping.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #58
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But how do you attribute Guice’s injury to anything done under Gruden when Guice has spent all of three months with the Redskins? Doesn’t pass the sniff test.

We were among the very hardest hit with injuries last year but others were too - SF, NYG, and the Colts were all decimated too. We had bad luck but nothing you’d consider a statistical anomaly to the point where you can question Gruden’s processes. Doesn’t make sense.

I do think maybe we need a tougher culture. But no amount of toughness can prevent an ACL. That shit just happens.
Guice's injury isn't a good example, but poor training methods can add to risk of injury in a hell of a lot less than 3 months. Not being properly warmed up and stretched can add to injury risk. Too many times in the last couple years I have watched 2 to 3 times as many Redskins limp off the field during a game compared to their opponents. As mentioned above it could be more on Allen acquiring players with injury histories.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #59
sandtrapjack
The Starter

It just seems to me that there has been an increase in injuries across the league ever since the most recent CBA was ratified. There were some radical changes to OTA and practice scheduled that reduced the total number of practices & OTAs, reduced the total number of practices with pads, reduce the total number of practices with contact etc etc. But no changes to preseason or regular season pace of play. Players are not as physically and mentally prepared for 'game day' as they were before the last CBA was ratified. And I think the increase in pre-season injuries can be directly correlated to that.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #60
MTK
\m/

Are there any numbers showing that injuries have actually increased?