Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #31
GusFrerotte

Re: Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I just felt the need to point out that apparently Joey T failed to get drafted and was forced to go to Canada because he was looked at as not being "good enough" prior to the Skins picking him up from the Torronto Argonauts. He was there for 3 yrs before the Skins hired him to be the "punt returner." It took 4 yrs before he became the starting QB.

So maybe with any luck the Skins might have something in Beck that none of us have seen yet. A QB needs to be in the right place with the right situation at the right time, or Beck might be a dud. I know what your saying and I agree with you but I would like to think MS knows what he's looking for in a QB that will do well in his system. Just because Beck has not done well in other situations doesn't mean he can't do well in this one. Remember also Bret Favre was considered a dud by the Falcons and traded him away to the Packers.

I can be way off base about Beck, but he doeesn't come off likie a starter to me. I still think this is all smoke for a big move in the works.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #32
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Bring back Grossman. The INTs are aggravating but he was fairly prolific in those last five games last season.

He definitely won't win us any Super Bowls but at least he'll give the young WRs we just drafted a chance to develop.
I could totally hold my nose and live with Grossman. If he can get us to 8-8 or 9-7, I could live with that.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #33
SBXVII
Franchise Player

This is interesting...
NFL.com news: Even with Ponder in mix, Vikes appear destined to add McNabb

Vikes still interested in McNabb.

Maybe it's hellacious wishfull thinking but what if....

The Vikes still want McNabb and were willing to pick up Ponder for our coaching staff in order to trade for McNabb and possibly our next yrs 2nd round pick? or god forbid one of the drafted players we took for the Vikes combined with McNabb to trade for Ponder?

It's way out there I know. But wouldn't it be weird if both teams came up with some concocted trade idea for later when teams are able to trade. I'm not sure what we would have drafted that the Vikes would have needed or would have requested we drafted for them to trade with McNabb, but I think it's funny MS said they have a plan at the QB position.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #34
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Exactly. Shanny expressed his belief in Beck's abilities since he couldn't give up a major part of the plan. He can't come out and say that we are going for Smith, Palmer, etc, as that might tip off other teams. Beck is a nice guy I am sure, but he isn't a starter.
I mentioned this in the draft thread.....

Beck is a victim of circumstance. The very same set of circumstances that beset so many young QB's including those that teams reached for in this draft. Coming out of college his numbers were comparable to any member of the 2011 QB draft class. He was thrust into action before he was ready and it stunted his growth. The coach likes him...traded for him. It's difficult to have a difinitive opinion of a QB with only five games started as a rookie on his resume.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #35
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I am sorry, if this kid was anything special, he would not have been on 3 teams in what 5 years? I also want a young stud to hopefully be our franchise guy for over a decade like Joey T. I realize that that will be very hard to accomplish, but Beck isn't going to get us anywhere. A major trade is in the works once the lockout is over. You have two vets in Palmer and Smith that can come in and do the job. Beck is a smokescreen for what is coming. Once the lockout is cleaned up, we will be hit with news of a monster trade or the acquisition of Smith.
Yeah, what type of quality QB has to go to multiple teams before finding a home? Please, like anyone has ever done anything like that.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #36
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
This is interesting...
NFL.com news: Even with Ponder in mix, Vikes appear destined to add McNabb

Vikes still interested in McNabb.

Maybe it's hellacious wishfull thinking but what if....

The Vikes still want McNabb and were willing to pick up Ponder for our coaching staff in order to trade for McNabb and possibly our next yrs 2nd round pick? or god forbid one of the drafted players we took for the Vikes combined with McNabb to trade for Ponder?

It's way out there I know. But wouldn't it be weird if both teams came up with some concocted trade idea for later when teams are able to trade. I'm not sure what we would have drafted that the Vikes would have needed or would have requested we drafted for them to trade with McNabb, but I think it's funny MS said they have a plan at the QB position.
When it was rumored we'd be lucky to get a 4th for mcnabb I don't see any chance at all with this idea and hope we don't either. Ponder is not worth the money he's gonna be getting much less for us to also lose a 2nd pick next year on the guy.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #37
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Andrew Luck, we're on our way...
Put it this way. In our worst years under Snyder, Spurrier year 2 and Zorn year 2, the highest draft pick we ever got was 4th overall. We got 10th overall this past year despite have the 31st ranked defense in the league and the 30th ranked rushing attack. Sure spending money on free agents and stuff won't win you championships but it'll also prevent you from getting the number 1 pick.

Also look at the Cardinals. They had Derrick Anderson, John Skelton, and Max Hall as their QB's and that was still only bad enough for the 5th pick.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 05-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #38
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Yeah, what type of quality QB has to go to multiple teams before finding a home? Please, like anyone has ever done anything like that.
or Rich Gannon, QB at NFL.com
Old 05-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I'm not saying their HOF QB's but the Vikes have;
Rhett Bomar; 6-2, 225lbs, 1yr exp at 25y/o.
Minnesota Vikings: Rhett Bomar

Joe Webb; 6-4, 220lbs, 0 yrs exp at 24y/o.
Minnesota Vikings: Joe Webb

Again I'm not saying they are great but they do have 2 young QB's who have good size. I could see them wanting McNabb to help with the developement of the two they already have and the whole Ponder pick was to be used in a trade for McNabb.

I know I'm just wishfull thinking. But it would be pretty cool if it was.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #40
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
Maybe we should have drafted Delvin. Apparently this Deleware is QB U.

- FRPLG
Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #41
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
When it was rumored we'd be lucky to get a 4th for mcnabb I don't see any chance at all with this idea and hope we don't either. Ponder is not worth the money he's gonna be getting much less for us to also lose a 2nd pick next year on the guy.
Your probably right, but what if? we can get rid of McNabb, not have to worry about Beck starting, do whatever with Grossman, and Have a Rookie QB Ponder either starting or waiting in the wings learning? Most of everyone here were hoping the team would pick up a Rookie QB for the future, heck they were even willing to settle for a late draft Stanzi.

Atleast this way if it were a possibility we wouldn't have to worry about VY being our QB.

I'll agree with you I'm reaching and most likely Ponder won't be apart of any trade scenario's.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #42
bertoskins2
Special Teams

carson palmer anyone?
bertoskins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #43
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoskins2 View Post
carson palmer anyone?
Remember when we offered a 1st and a conditional third the following year that could have also become a 1st for Ochocinco and the Bengals said it wasn't enough? Yeah, we're not getting Palmer. Even if we wanted him.

- FRPLG
Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #44
diehard
The Starter

Why didn't they just draft Mallett or Stanzi if they wanted to go through the growing pains of bringing in another veteran? Sheesh.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #45
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Not just because SS but I think Vince young makes the most sense. I've been saying all along that Beck is already 30 so what future does he have? I don't know how true the rumors are but Kyle Orton has been mentioned over the weekend as a possibility