Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How to spend our money?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
skinster
Impact Rookie

How to spend our money?

The last salary cap in 2009 was 128 mil. Assuming it will go up (and it will go up) two years later in 2011 (I'm being very conservative by saying it will be around 130 mil. Not that I expect it will be at that number, but for the purpose of this thread we need a number and I'd prefer to be conservative), how do yo want the redskins to spend their money? Assuming McNabb, Haynesworth, portis, and dockery are cut/traded. We have 25 players under known contracts (according to the warpath numbers) that add up to 75 mil. We also have Atogwe, Trent Williams, Torain, Riley, Keiland Williams, Banks, and Beck under contract, but what their numbers are in 2011 are unlisted. Atogwe's contract averages about 5 mil a year over 5 years. I assume at 31 years old that is backloaded, so I'm saying he makes no more than 4 mil this year. Williams has a 6 year 60 mil contract. I'm going to say is pretty even but money was cleared this year to spend for us, so I'm going to put his number at 8.5 mil. Torain, williams, Beck, Banks, and Riley I'm going to say make 4 mil between them (I think I'm being generous there).

So If your keeping track that is 32 players we have under contract for 91.5 mil (38.5 mil left to spend on 21 players). We drafted 12 players. My best guess is that we will keep 8 of them, and it will cost about 8 million (once again I believe I'm being generous. With the new rookie wage scale, Kerrigan should be making less, but I'm going to say he makes 4 mil in his first year, and all the other contracts/signing bonuses of players cut average out to another 4 mil.

So now there is 30.5 mil left to spend on 13 players. This is really the meat and bones of this thread. How to spend 30.5 mil (or however much money you want to say we have to spend) on 13 players ( or however many players you say we have to spend on).

I say we spend big money on Cullen Jenkins, a WR (probably Moss, but hopefully Jones), an O-lineman, and an inside linebacker (hopefully...there isn't much of a market, but with rocky gone and Fletch being so old, we need a good young ILB). I say we spend 5.5 mil this year on Jenkins, 5 mil on Moss (but like I said hopefully 5 mil on Jones), 4 mil on Ryan Harris (no idea how much his contract will be, that is my best guess for his first year's salary), and 6 mil on Rudd (the successor to fletcher) we have 10 mil left to spend on 9 players.
I'd say we spend 2 mil on Grossman (he only got 470k last year), 1.5 mil on buchanon (I think our front 7 is more of a priority than our secondary, and we already signed Otagwe), 1.5 mil on Mike Williams (who supposedly was doing very good before his injury), 1.5 mil on Stephen Heyer and 1.5 mil on Will Montgomery.
That is 2 mil we have left to spend on 4 players. I don't know who those players will be, but I assume one will be an undrafted Fullback, one will be an undrafted qb, One will be a corner, and I think Malcolm Kelly and Roydell Williams will get cut freeing up about 1.2 mil for us to get OLB depth (hopefully someone who can play OLB and ILB...I don't trust Riley or young) and a blocking TE.

Unfortunately cutting Rabach will save only 1.55 mil to the cap, and cutting Hicks will only save 150k, so I think they are here to stay for another year. The value we'd get at those two positions for the combined amount of 1.7 mil wouldn't be an upgrade.

What do you guys think will happen with the money we have to spend?

For the record, I want Jenkins, Jones, Harris, and Rudd. Jones, Harris, and Rudd are young and will be with our team for some time, which is my main priority with this free agency. I want Jenkins because I feel he will help the culture of our team with veteran leadership as well as help give pointers to players on how to run the 3-4 effectively. At 31, I don't expect him to stay around too long, but his temporary impact I feel will stick with the team after he is gone or not as effective. I think this season is a wash, and I just hope to build for the future.

To clarify things I think Doughty, Sellers, Wilson, Blades, Paulsen, Holliday, Oldenberg, and Westbrook will only be only be resigned if they agree to the vet min with no bonus.

Rocky, Brown and Los will be gone. Los and Rocky for sure, Brown might not get a good offer and might come crawling back if we can't land harris.

God I hope there are a few people out there that analyze this shit as much as I do. I'd love some in depth responses/critiques on my post.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Re: How to spend our money?

we won't spend 2 mil on Grossman. We are the only place that will even consider him and we are his only chance to start again in the NFL.

I think we will resign Brown. Los is gone. Rocky may be back.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Here's about as in depth as I'll get on this, our areas of need I hope to see addressed:

OL
DL
LB
WR
Old 07-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Here's about as in depth as I'll get on this, our areas of need I hope to see addressed:

OL
DL
LB
WR
Lol so my James Jones, Ryan Harris, Cullen Jenkins, Barrett Rudd wants line up with you pretty well.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
we won't spend 2 mil on Grossman. We are the only place that will even consider him and we are his only chance to start again in the NFL.

I think they'll try to juggle Brown and Harris. If they can't get Ryan then they'll run to sign Brown. Personally I would rather have Brown. Much more durable. Harris has been hurt for the last two years. I also think they'll sign Jenkins and Franklin. Depending on how the situation in Tampa sorts out they'll also try to sign Joesph. Finally I would expect them to go after one of the more expensive corners. Nnadami seems to be the most likely target with Johnathan Joesph as a fallback option.

So to review.

OT - Brown or Harris
OG - Davin Joesph
NT - A. Franklin
DE - C. Jenkins
CB - Nadami or Joesph

Followed by a couple of other role players. Paul Posluszny might also be another target but he seems intent on staying in Buffalo.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
SOUL-SKINS
Impact Rookie

Quote:

OL
DL
LB
WR
For some reason i see our own WR's panning out this year. (thats if we resign Moss....and we will) I really have a great feeling about Hankerson and Aldrick Robinson. Terrence Austin when giving the chance to play really impressed me. Then of course there is AA. Kelly is a wild card. I hope he can stay heathly. That being said i wont be too upset if we DO NOT address the WR position.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Let's try to steal Posluszny from the Bills. I think this would be a great investment for the team (experienced 3-4 ILB and the Fletcher's heir to lead the defense).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL-SKINS View Post
For some reason i see our own WR's panning out this year. (thats if we resign Moss....and we will) I really have a great feeling about Hankerson and Aldrick Robinson. Terrence Austin when giving the chance to play really impressed me. Then or coure there is AA. Kelly is a wild card. I hope he can stay heathly. That being said i wont be too upset if we DO NOT address the WR position.
I'll be happy if we just keep Moss, and that's as far as I would go with addressing the receivers. If we choose to let Moss sign elsewhere though, we would need to bring in a vet.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
SOUL-SKINS
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Let's try to steal Posluszny from the Bills. I think this would be a great investment for the team (experienced 3-4 ILB and the Fletcher's heir to lead the defense).
Money talks...........but the Bills would really have to be stupid to let him slip away...SO THERES A CHANCE!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The Bills would be absolutely dumb to let one of their leaders and truly solid players go.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
SOUL-SKINS
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I'll be happy if we just keep Moss, and that's as far as I would go with addressing the receivers. If we choose to let Moss sign elsewhere though, we would need to bring in a vet.
Agreed.........
Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post

I think 2 mil on Grossman is reasonable. His agent knows we need a qb, knows we want him to start, and will hold out until 2 mil is ponied up. Some other team should be willing to give him 1 mil to be a backup, he isn't that bad.

I say we sign Ryan Harris over brown because he was drafted by Shanny, and Brown has question marks with his health and age. Last year he split time with Heyer, which is not an encouraging sign.

I doubt Rocky will be back because he did poorly in our 3-4 defense and he will want a larger contract. Someone like the giants, Jags, Titans, Bucs, etc... who run a 4-3 would probably be willing to offer him more than us. Keep in mind of the increased salary floor. Teams will be forced to spend.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Same here. I don't think we should be breaking the bank on a FA wideout when we have a number of young receivers that could develop and we have a questionable QB situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL-SKINS View Post
Money talks...........but the Bills would really have to be stupid to let him slip away...SO THERES A CHANCE!!!!
Can you imagine a LB group of Rak, Kerrigan, Fletch and Posluszny? But yeah, the Bills would be insane to let him go. So fire up Redskins One!!
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I think they'll try to juggle Brown and Harris. If they can't get Ryan then they'll run to sign Brown. Personally I would rather have Brown. Much more durable. Harris has been hurt for the last two years. I also think they'll sign Jenkins and Franklin. Depending on how the situation in Tampa sorts out they'll also try to sign Joesph. Finally I would expect them to go after one of the more expensive corners. Nnadami seems to be the most likely target with Johnathan Joesph as a fallback option.

So to review.

OT - Brown or Harris
OG - Davin Joesph
NT - A. Franklin
DE - C. Jenkins
CB - Nadami or Joesph

Followed by a couple of other role players. Paul Posluszny might also be another target but he seems intent on staying in Buffalo.
I don't think we have the money to sign all these guys. I think You have to drop one (or three if Nnamdi is signed).
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

So to review.

OT - Brown or Harris
OG - Davin Joesph
NT - A. Franklin
DE - C. Jenkins
CB - Nadami or Joesph

Take him out and sign Burnett LB for the chargers.

Pos is injury prone, I don't think he'll pan out here. Plus I think that if he leaves buffalo, he'll go to a 4-3 defense, he just seems more comfortable in the 43 than the 34.