Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins ready to $pend?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #61
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Redskins ready to $pend?

I found this on another site it's very interesting.

NFL.com news: Redskins prepared to make run on big free agents after lockout

Quote:
The Washington Redskins, who largely sat out the free-agent market in 2010, are prepared to make a splash this year, numerous sources familiar with the team's offseason plans said Tuesday.

Facing a serious lack of talent at crucial positions, the longtime NFC East doormats have put together a list of high-end free agents they want and will be very aggressive in pursuing them as soon as the NFL lockout is lifted, according to the sources.

NFL.com senior analyst Pat Kirwan investigates the pressing issues facing each team when the lockout ends:

» AFC East: Jets, Pats search for missing title piece
» NFC East: Division rivals reload as Redskins rebuild
» AFC North: Ravens, Steelers prepare to maintain edge
» NFC North: Vikings' Rice might shift power in division
» AFC South: Trio of teams still taking aim at Colts
» NFC South: Hard choices lie ahead for top teams
» AFC West: Big decisions at pivotal positions
» NFC West: QB moves might decide division
Signing New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes reportedly is the primary objective of Redskins coach and chief decision maker Mike Shanahan. Guard Marshal Yanda, a player whom the Baltimore Ravens will vigorously fight to retain -- just as the Jets will make a concerted effort to retain Holmes -- also is coveted in Washington.

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins and brother Kris, who's oft-injured but was very effective for the Jets when healthy, also are key targets for the Redskins, and league sources would be surprised if the team didn't land both, with competition for those two players not likely to be as steep as for Holmes and Yanda.

New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield, despite being a 4-3 player to this point, also has been the subject of offseason planning by the Redskins, who operate a 3-4 defense.

The sources said the Redskins also will work hard to retain some of their own free agents, with wide receiver Santana Moss still in their plans, though it will be tricky to sign him and Holmes. Right tackle Jammal Brown, despite his checkered injury history, also remains in Washington's plans, and the team is optimistic about re-signing him.

Backup quarterback Rex Grossman will be re-signed (Shanahan remains dedicated to John Beck being his starter, team sources said); cornerback Phillip Buchanon will be pursued, given the woeful state of the team's corners; and the Redskins' staff has wavered on the merits of retaining linebacker Rocky McIntosh, who didn't fare well in 2010 evaluations and seemed ill-fitted to the team's scheme.

It all adds up to what could be a pivotal offseason for Shanahan, who already has fallen under scrutiny following clashes with top players and acute struggles on both offense and defense during his first season in Washington.

Team sources maintain that they can't foresee the Redskins keeping either quarterback Donovan McNabb or defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth. Receiving much for either in a trade will prove quite difficult given their contracts, and several team sources believe Shanahan ultimately will take anything he can for Haynesworth. The Redskins are particularly concerned that if they release Haynesworth, he will sign with the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles and reunite with his former Tennessee Titans position coach, Jim Washburn.

With trade options for McNabb limited, team sources expect Shanahan ultimately to release him. The Minnesota Vikings would be among the teams interested in the quarterback, league sources have said.

Shanahan, who has a long history of offensive wizardry, is desperate for a playmaker, which makes Holmes so attractive (contrary to reports, the Redskins haven't spent much time discussing Holmes' Jets teammate, Braylon Edwards). The Redskins also are desperate for impact offensive lineman, and if they miss out on Yanda, they likely will target two other Ravens -- Chris Chester or Jared Gaither -- since Washington's offensive line coach, Chris Foerster, has ties to those players from his time in Baltimore.

The Redskins hope young left tackle Trent Williams will continue to develop and that either Will Montgomery or veteran Kory Lichtensteiger can compete with Casey Rabach at center, with Artis Hicks at one guard spot and Brown, if re-signed, at right tackle. Yanda would greatly improve the interior of the line opposite Hicks at guard, but again, adding him is a big if.

Washington's defensive line, which lacked the personnel to switch to the 3-4 last season, needs a makeover, and the team hopes to address it with quantity and quality, sources said.

The Jenkins brothers have ties to the Washington area, and both have been standouts in a 3-4. Nose tackle is a major issue for the Redskins, and Kris Jenkins, coming off another season-ending surgery, could be a bargain on the open market. Cullen Jenkins is a versatile 3-4 lineman who can play multiple positions and is a natural fit for Washington.

Cofield, though lacking experience in the 3-4 scheme, has been a regular topic of conversation at Redskins Park, and the team believes he could be a major upgrade. San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin also has been linked to the Redskins, but sources said he hasn't been a focal point.

Shanahan has been unwavering in his support of Beck, to the dismay of some in the organization who haven't seen anything to suggest the former Raven and Miami Dolphin can be a competitive starting quarterback. With the 2010 season lost, Shanahan chose to play Grossman over Beck, and some at Redskins Park wonder why Beck, if he was indeed the future, didn't receive the call in those meaningless games.

"He is set on Beck," said a source familiar with Shanahan's thinking. "That's his guy. He isn't just saying it for the media or to blow smoke. He's serious as hell about it."

Grossman, who has almost no other free-agent options, is nearly certain to re-sign with the Redskins on a cheap, short-term deal. Washington still needs a third quarterback, with Vince Young a possibility (he hasn't been the subject of much internal discussion at this point, according to sources).

The Redskins also know that at some point in the next six to nine months, they must sign star safety LaRon Landry to a long-term deal. He's entering the final year of his rookie contract.

Also, off the field, team sources expect general manager Bruce Allen to assume at least some of the roles that just-departed team counsel David Donovan performed on a day-to-day basis, at least until owner Dan Snyder hires a full-time replacement (Shanahan has final say on personnel and is the driving force behind player acquisitions). Bob Wallace, who spent 16 years with the St. Louis Rams and previously served as their general counsel, is among the top candidates to replace Donovan's title, league sources said.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #62
diehard
The Starter

^JLC echo...
Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #63
skinsnut
Playmaker

As much as this is from JLC, who has iffy credibility....a lot of the moves look logical....however....many speculative moves that "look" legitamate must be logical.

Everyone know our needs, WR, oline, dline, etc.
The only thing missing here is ILB and CB...so that in itself gives it more credibiity...If I were to "make it up"...I'd also include solutions there.

If we are going after holmes...I bet it would be to replace Santana...they are quite similar and we arguably have 3 starters now including Santana and the rookie...it would be overkill and we won't outbid a contender for him.

Regarding Oline, Dline...I frankly don't give a crap who they bring in....based on our complete lack of quality, statistics will prove that the majority of moves possible will yield a significant improvement. So I am not concerned about that.

To be frank...2 positions scare me the most at this point, ...CB and QB
(everything else is an easy fix)
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #64
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I found this on another site it's very interesting.

NFL.com news: Redskins prepared to make run on big free agents after lockout
That the article PFT was referencing in the first place.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #65
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
A) Fans root for their teams
B) Your position roots against the Redskins
Ergo, by syllogistic logic, you are not a Redskins fan

There's logic. Or we might try:

A) Cowboys fans root against the Redskins
B) You root against the Redskins
Ergo, you are a Cowboys fan

Again, just good syllogistic logic.
I know I said I wasn't going to reply to any comments because I said my piece, but I'm going to make an exception to this one. Challenging my fanhood to the redskins doesn't fly with me. Don't say I'm not rooting for the skins. I'm rooting for them to win the superbowl. If god comes down and grants the redskins magical powers this year and we win the superbowl, I will be just as happy as any of you (probably more so), but the fact of the matter that is impossible with john beck as our qb, and don't tell me it isn't. There is a fine line between hope and delusion. This is a lost season, and we have a rare opportunity to grab a once in a generation qb, don't waste it. I'm looking out in the best interest of my team, are you?

A) Redskins fans root for their team to win as many games over a decade as possible
B) The best way to win as many games as possible over a decade is to have a franchise qb.
C) Andrew luck is the best possible candidate to be a franchise qb

Logic-get andrew luck.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #66
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I know I said I wasn't going to reply to any comments because I said my piece, but I'm going to make an exception to this one. Challenging my fanhood to the redskins doesn't fly with me. Don't say I'm not rooting for the skins. I'm rooting for them to win the superbowl. If god comes down and grants the redskins magical powers this year and we win the superbowl, I will be just as happy as any of you (probably more so), but the fact of the matter that is impossible with john beck as our qb, and don't tell me it isn't. There is a fine line between hope and delusion. This is a lost season, and we have a rare opportunity to grab a once in a generation qb, don't waste it. I'm looking out in the best interest of my team, are you?

A) Redskins fans root for their team to win as many games over a decade as possible
B) The best way to win as many games as possible over a decade is to have a franchise qb.
C) Andrew luck is the best possible candidate to be a franchise qb

Logic-get andrew luck.
You said you were logical. I gave you logic. Please embrace my logic since you are so logical.

BTW you did not offer logic in return. Not only is your formula not a syllogism, but your formula breaks down with C. Luck may (or may not) be the best candidate, but since by your own admission there are other candidates, we not not HAVE TO suck for Luck. By your own attempt at logic, the Suck for Luck campaign is revealed as illogical.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #67
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

If it was ever confirmed that we mailed in an entire season we would be epically and eternally the laughing stock of the NFL.
There would be no hiding from the jokes and scorn.
It would be a huge black eye for the Redskins that they would have to wear for the rest of eternity.
Not to mention the legality of it.
We would be basically throwing all our games.
I think Roger Goodell would mightily frown on this.
And how ironic would it be that he fined us our next years first round pick if this happened.

It would suck to try to suck for Luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #68
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Is this STILL the cowardly, underhanded, craven, sniveling....talk of ...tanking the season?
Did Vince McMahon replace Goodell???
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #69
Schneed10
A Dude

Logic dictates that tanking just to get Andrew Luck would make your team worse in the long run, not better.

No professional football player wants to lose, and if the coach purposely tanks the season then it becomes clear to the players that he thinks the group as currently constructed won't get it done. They'll become disgruntled, go to the media, bitch and moan, and many will leave. Losing on purpose would create such a divide that Shanahan would never be able regain control of the locker room. He'd have to be fired.

It's a ridiculous idea that shows very little understanding of human nature.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #70
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
You said you were logical. I gave you logic. Please embrace my logic since you are so logical.

BTW you did not offer logic in return. Not only is your formula not a syllogism, but your formula breaks down with C. Luck may (or may not) be the best candidate, but since by your own admission there are other candidates, we not not HAVE TO suck for Luck. By your own attempt at logic, the Suck for Luck campaign is revealed as illogical.
I really hope your joking on so many levels.

And I hope your happy averaging 7-9 for the next decade, having two playoff appearances where nobody respects us as contenders and we get bounced in the first round.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #71
MTK
\m/

Luck is no lottery ticket for greatness. There will be other very talented QBs coming out as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #72
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:

Thank you Spock.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #73
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:

And I hope your happy averaging 7-9 for the next decade, having two playoff appearances where nobody respects us as contenders and we get bounced in the first round.
So if we don't get Luck, we're doomed to mediocrity? Luck is our only ticket to "contenderhood"? Sorry, I don't believe that.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #74
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:

I was not joking, I was logical.

It appears that you like logic until it makes your position look bad. When logic makes your position untenable, you ditch it.
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #75
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Thank you Spock.
I remembered Spock as I wrote that.
We won more with Vinny