Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Trying to keep the name change in a different thread..

Let's discuss this huge off season come up.

Ron is 14-20 over his first 2 seasons as HC. (I count that playoff game)

With a bottom 5 passing game over that span, we all know QB is top priority.

What will they do? Draft or make a splash for a veteran like Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson etc.

I don't see JDR leaving , that being said LB is top priority for the defense.

A guy like Bobby Wagner would be a perfect fit..

https://overthecap.com/calculator/wa...football-team/

60M to spend this O/S. Lets make it count!

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: 2022 off season thread part 1

My priority list:

QB
LB
C
S
RB (McKissic)
G
K
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Qb
lb
s
rb
g
t
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Priorities for me

Qbrgmlbs
Old 01-10-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
My priority list:

QB
LB
C
S
RB (McKissic)
G
K
LB x2. New starter at MLB and better depth than no name other team rejects. This is on the basis we move Davis to OLB. And presuming Collins isn't resigned as OLB/Hybrid.
You saying replace Roullier, or draft for better depth? If depth, I'd put G higher than C.
K - Slye hasn't missed a FG and had 1 XP blocked (I don't blame him for that). I would bring in competition, but I see nothing to complain about with his performance.

Me, I'd say QB, LB (x2), FS, CB, RB (agreed I'd secure McKissic as option 1) G, C.

I think with the returning OL we'd have a solid base, though I agree with letter Scherff go this year if we can't get him to sign a reasonable deal. My concern remains with having no top calibre MLB and FS. I still hold we need to build the defence through the middle to get consistency. We need a Lewis/Reed or Wagner/Thomas type combo to solidify the D. Aside from QB (and we know that this draft doesn't offer much prospect) there are not as many glaring holes on O as there are on D.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

QB, a DC that can scheme with our personnel, LB
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

No team has ever started 10 QB's over a 4 season span, we did it this yr..

There is no doubt this team is starved for a QB.

Terry had 1000 yards with noodle arm TH out there.

I will say, Matt Stafford has not been as advertised this yr, glad we didn't pay that price
Old 01-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
No team has ever started 10 QB's over a 4 season span, we did it this yr..

There is no doubt this team is starved for a QB.

Terry had 1000 yards with noodle arm TH out there.

I will say, Matt Stafford has not been as advertised this yr, glad we didn't pay that price
The complete lack of any consistency at QB has been truly amazing. I don't get those that rag on Scott Turner. 14 wins the last 2 years with very average/mediocre QB play. I'd love to see this offense with a legit QB.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

This off-season is about one thing

QB 1

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The complete lack of any consistency at QB has been truly amazing. I don't get those that rag on Scott Turner. 14 wins the last 2 years with very average/mediocre QB play. I'd love to see this offense with a legit QB.
Avg is high praise for the last 2 years..

Kirk Cousins would have 30 TDs with the weapons we have..

The TH era ends in a win but man he was awful yesterday.

Should have had 2 picks and a fumble.

The fact that we had a 1000 yard WR and RB is insane
Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Also we officially have the 11th pick
Old 01-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

For those that do not have The Athletic

from David Aldridge

Get a quarterback. The rest is window dressing.

Ron Rivera’s not going to last as head coach here otherwise.

He’s a good man, and a good leader. But he needs help. Positional flex isn’t enough. Getting Curtis Samuel and/or Logan Thomas back on the field next season won’t be enough. This organization needs an impact upgrade at the most important position in sports. A new name or a new stadium deal, or whatever other shiny toy the Washington Football Team is ready to shake at you in the next couple of months, isn’t going to cover that up.

Washington can convince itself it has a top-10 defense in the building, and maybe a rebound from a big step backwards this season is possible in 2022. (No, I don’t think you replace Jack Del Rio. He’s not the problem.) At any rate, there are too many picks and dollars invested in the core group for a radical reset on D. Hope that Chase Young recovers, and Jamin Davis improves exponentially, and that a veteran middle linebacker is out there in free agency.

But even if the WFT’s defense bounces back, it won’t matter if Washington doesn’t solve its decades-long dilemma at quarterback.

You know what will go a long way toward convincing Terry McLaurin to stick around and sign a long-term extension, rather than playing his rookie deal out next season and becoming a free agent in 2023? A real quarterback to get him the rock, after three years of open mic night.

It’s been almost 21 years since Brad Johnson, the last great quarterback who played here, left town. Twenty-one years! (Yes, Robert Griffin III was beyond dynamic in his rookie season and was named to the 2013 Pro Bowl, but the fact his right ACL and LCL were shredded soon after, along with his career, kind of made the honor moot. I will agree to disagree with those who think Kirk Cousins was, or is, “great.”)

It will, assuredly, not be easy, or cheap. But: Enough with reclamation projects. No more once-weres (Jeff George, Mark Brunell, Donovan McNabb). No more mid- to late-first maybes (Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, Dwayne Haskins).

If Mitch Trubisky was someone to build around, Chicago would still be building around him, instead of Justin Fields.

If Jimmy Garoppolo, who was the starting quarterback when the 49ers were in the Super Bowl two years ago, was that guy, why did the Niners trade four picks to Miami last year to move up in the draft and take Trey Lance?

If Rivera and the front office come to believe that one of Kenny Pickett or Matt Corral or Malik Willis or Carson Strong or Desmond Ridder has superstardom in his immediate future, then by all means, take him with Washington’s No. 11 pick. Or, trade the pick and move back a few spots in the first round, grabbing another pick in the process, and hopefully get one of them later in the draft.

But if not — what is Rivera ready to do to upgrade? The WFT will have more than $60 million in cap room this offseason. If it isn’t willing to pay to keep an All-Pro guard in Brandon Scherff from leaving via free agency, OK. I don’t get the logic of letting your best offensive lineman, and one of your top four or five players on the roster, skip town for nothing in return, but, fine.

Then let it all ride for a legit franchise quarterback.

OK, Aaron Rodgers isn’t coming here, and even if he wanted to, the price for him would be prohibitively expensive.

But, if Washington needed to, say, trade multiple firsts, including this year’s, and one of its defensive linemen for Russell Wilson? Do it.

If Washington could trade a little less for someone like Miami’s Tua Tagovailoa — who will, presumably, be available if the Dolphins go for Houston’s Deshaun Watson via trade — take the chance.

I advocated that Washington get Watson last offseason, before the multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him came to light. We know this organization never misses an opportunity to step on its own … message. But even it can’t seriously consider bringing in someone like Watson now, with the organization still under congressional inquiry for its own abhorrent behavior toward so many of its female now-former employees.

What am I saying: Of course it can. But, it shouldn’t.

Seattle’s saying it won’t trade Wilson. But that’s today. If the 33-year-0ld Wilson makes it clear he wants out, Washington should be ready to pounce. A “coach-centric” organization needs its coach to lead the way, to convince both Wilson and his superstar wife, the entertainer and Grammy winner Ciara Wilson, why coming here would work for both of them.

There has to be a real plan, with real data: We will do this at wide receiver and on the interior offensive line. But, also: We will do this to help you grow Why Not You Productions, which she and her husband own.

Does that sound like recruiting? Damn right it is. If Rivera wants all the juice, that’s what is now on his plate: fix the problem the previous six coaches here weren’t able to solve.

Wilson has been injured this season and less effective the last couple of years, but I’d bet on a rebound in ’22 every day and twice on Sundays, Mondays and the occasional Thursday night.

The Giants and Eagles, reportedly, both have considerable interest in Wilson. Which means: You can either bring Wilson here and give him the keys to your franchise for the next few years, or you can potentially play against him in your division, twice a year, for the next few years. Given Washington’s division record this season, playing against a real quarterback like Dallas’ Dak Prescott, I know which curtain I’d pick. (And, yes: If Philly were to get Wilson, Washington should definitely try to get Jalen Hurts.)

A word, now on Taylor Heinicke. Saying Heinicke has proven he’s a really good backup quarterback is not an insult. It’s a huge, positive data point.

A year ago, he was on his sister’s couch and taking classes at Old Dominion. Since then, he’s proved he’s durable enough to get through an NFL season — which we didn’t know a year ago. He’s proved he can make enough plays with his arm and legs to win real games — which we didn’t know a year ago. He’s given Washington clarity at a very important position. That’s not nothing; it’s a lot.

But he also showed his ceiling is limited. Which limits Scott Turner’s play calling. Which limits McLaurin’s targets and completions. Which makes the WFT’s margin for error, week in and week out, very small. A game manager may feel more comfortable and less risky to Rivera, but it’s not the best way to consistently win in a pass-mad league.

You can’t keep counting on 10-plus play drives, converting multiple third downs and being able to run the ball down opponents’ throats. Nor can you hope to always win 21-17 or 24-20. So much can go wrong in close games: penalties, injuries, blown assignments. This team isn’t talented enough to play that way yet. You know what helps a defense most? Being up 28-7 in the fourth quarter, after its quarterback has thrown for three bills and four TDs.

Rivera didn’t want to mortgage the future last offseason for a quarterback. Another guy who coached around here once said, famously, “The future is now,” traded every pick he could possibly think of trading, and made a Super Bowl, and the playoffs four other times, in seven years. And so, the future is now, again.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #13
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Colt McCoy is available.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #14
SunnySide
Playmaker

Lots of work to do, big spots and depth.

36 players under contract for next year.

Notable pending FAs:

Scherff
McKissic
Lucas
Humphries
Carter
Sims
Larsen
Ricky Seals Jones
Settle
McCain
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #15
jamf
Pro Bowl

I don't have high praise for anyone except McLaurin.

Every WR not named Terry is trash.
All the other WRs average 1 reception a game. You can get JR college guys to do that.

This is a passing/QB league, we need another WR.
If the curse of fragile #10 is over (RG,Richardson,Samuels) then we have 3 competent WRs.

Turner is trash for running short yardage plays out of shotgun.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote