Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

In memory of our REDSKINS

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 11:40 PM   #16
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Re: In memory of our REDSKINS

Been a fan since the late 60's.
Favorite player(s) too many just to pick 1) - Sonny Jurgensen, Darrell Green, Sean Taylor, John Riggins, Dexter Manley, Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Clint Diddier, The HOGS.

Favorite Game, Super Bowl XXII and every time we beat the Cowboys....

HTTR - will still be my favorite the team
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-12-2020, 11:44 PM   #17
RedskinJake
Special Teams

the name is changing but the misery will continue until Dan Snyder sells the team
RedskinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:01 AM   #18
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
Some smatterings of how this is hitting me tonight:

-- I turn 51 in late August. My Dad gave me two choices growing up in Louisville Kentucky. Root for and watch the Washington Redskins, or don't watch football. When you're 6 years old, it's an easy choice. (And looking back -- maybe this should have been considered child abuse ... haha .. but hey ... it's one of the few things my Dad and I can truly connect over. He just turned 80.)

-- I remember being in 1st grade in 1975, and checking out a paperback book from the library only because it had a photo of Billy Kilmer in a Redskins uniform on the cover (along with some other players I couldn't have cared less about). The book wasn't for first graders, but I didn't care. I checked it out anyway.

-- I vaguely remember the QB battles between Kilmer and Theismann. I also wondered why our guys only got to wear one bar face masks, while other QB's wore 2 bar face masks. Like that douchebag Staubach. These are great matters of concern for a 7 and 8 year old.

-- Being in Louisville meant it was a rare treat to get a Redskins game on TV. Usually we got the Bengals, or Bears, or because Paul Hornung was a Louisvillian, we got Green Bay Packers games ... completley annoying. But there's a large contingent of Packers fans here. And of course, the freakin' Cowboys were always on. Man I hate them.

-- On Sundays, I would run to grab the newspaper, to get the TV listings, to see what games were being shown. When I saw the Redskins listed, it sent a jolt of happiness through me I can't describe. I'd watch half an hour of Victory at Sea, followed by NFL on CBS, before the 1:00 Skins game .... and seeing the burgundy and gold, and those iconic helmets with the Redskin on it .... man, pure rapture.

-- I remember losing to Dallas by a point, and crying, and my Mom telling me to grow up, it's just a game, and me telling her she just didn't understand, and I was 10.

-- My love of the Redskins is only surpassed by my hatred of the Cowboys.

-- Life got MUCH better in the 80's. We got on TV more, and we won a lot more.

-- Jack Kent Cooke was godlike to me. And he delivered Super Bowls. God bless that man.

We all know our recent history, and the proliferation of TV showing all the games, made my experience of joy when I got to watch the Redskins disappear. But my love of the colors, the uni's, and especially the helmet, can all be traced to those early days, when I wasn't guaranteed to see them in any given week.

I've been a fan for 45 years.

I'll have to live to age 96, to root for whatever our new name will be, to EQUAL how much I have invested emotionally in the Redskins.

So, no matter what comes, I can realistically say, I'll still be more of a Skins fan when I pass than a whatever-freakin-name-we-get-stuck-with this season.

I want to be able to root for this team ... and see Chase Young, and Montez Sweat, terrorize Philly and Dallas and Daniel flippin Jones.

I just don't know that I will care as much as I did when I was 6 years old, running to check the TV listings in the Sunday paper, in the faint hope that I got to see my Washington Redskins play on TV.

Hail to the Redskins.

Thank you for the memories. I will miss you.
Going bold by bold point:

- I like your dad
- I was born in 1983, so don't remember Staubach playing, but he played for Dallas, so he was most certainly a douchebag
- Fuck Dallas
- Never talk about another man's momma, so I'll STFU on that one
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:20 AM   #19
rocnrik
Playmaker

The Modern NFL is just Bad .. the rules suck ..the refs suck .the commissioner is horrible .so it’s all been going bad for so long that at this point nothing surprises me . I have watched every game ( either at game , tv , vcr, Dvr radio) since 1969 ! The Glory years ! The Super Bowl win against Miami was the best .. all the cowboy wins were high points ! When Joe Gibbs first left that was end of an era ..then Snyder started his run and its been very hard to be a fan .. truth is since he took over it’s been redskin football in name only and now that has been taken away ... what’s left ?? There will be no switching teams for me .. I will still watch the new team with one eye open and will not be upset if my dvr does not record or I miss a game and at some point it will cease to be a passion of mine .. HTTR !
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #20
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Favorite player of all time is Sean Taylor. Anyone who lays a hit in the pro bowl like that is a winner. I’m so sad how his life ended and would love to see what he would have become if his career hasn’t been cut short.

I was born in ‘85 so I don’t remember much about our last super bowl win. However I do remember rushing home after church to scarf down lunch so I could watch my beloved Redskins.

I remember the joy of bearing the Cowboys. Every. Time. We. Best. Those. @$$holes.

I remember how the media always said the Cowboys were a super bowl contender and talking with much $h!t to Cowboys fans at school, and later at work, when they finished a mediocre 8-8, choked in December, and lost in the first round of the playoffs (if they made it that far).

I remember Tony Romo’s botched point after attempt in the first round of the playoffs. I had never been as excited.

Basically I think I‘be just always hated the Cowboys as equally as I’ve loved the Redskins because of the the boastful Cowboys fans who live in Virginia but never even been to Texas and only like the Cowboys because of their parents liking them because of the runs in the 70’s.

Whatever the new name is, I’m still going to pull for them to kick the crap out of “America’s (mediocre) Team” each and every week! HTTR!
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #21
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Person with knowledge of the situation confirms Washington football owner Dan Snyder and the team plan to announce name change Monday morning.

Mike Jones - USA TODAY

So the end is official and coming within the hours, I want this thread to be positive.

Name your favorite Redskins of all time
Favorite moments / games / eras.

I also want to say thank you Matty and everyone here for keeping me sane through the years, in a sense I grew up a lot with the Warpath.. I'm not sure if the site name will change but if it does I SALUTE this page!!

And for one final time (can't believe I'm writing this)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

I been a Giants fan all my life , I grew up on this division and there have been a few Redskins I thought were great players , Roy Jefferson,Charlie Taylor Art Monk ,Chris Hambuger,Pat Fischer , Ken Houston, Darrell Green, and of course Joe Gibbs!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:36 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

The name may be going away but the history will always be there.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #23
gibbsrcnfan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
The Modern NFL is just Bad .. the rules suck ..the refs suck .the commissioner is horrible .so it’s all been going bad for so long that at this point nothing surprises me . I have watched every game ( either at game , tv , vcr, Dvr radio) since 1969 ! The Glory years ! The Super Bowl win against Miami was the best .. all the cowboy wins were high points ! When Joe Gibbs first left that was end of an era ..then Snyder started his run and its been very hard to be a fan .. truth is since he took over it’s been redskin football in name only and now that has been taken away ... what’s left ?? There will be no switching teams for me .. I will still watch the new team with one eye open and will not be upset if my dvr does not record or I miss a game and at some point it will cease to be a passion of mine .. HTTR !

Likewise for me ..
Old 07-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #24
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Hopefully ... look at how the history of this country is being torn down ... I can see the name being not used just Washington .. no redskins
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #25
SunnySide
Playmaker

The things Ill miss or most associate with the "redskins" .. even though Chief Zee has passed away, the Hogettes (are they still doing their thing? Dont really go to games anymore).

I loved the logo. I thought it was done with respect and honor. I will really miss that.

Football side -- the name is changing but it doesnt mean the on field history gets erased. 2nd Quarter against the Broncos is still this teams history.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #26
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Saw one of the beat writers on twitter post a tribute and the way he made it seem was the history is over and we are starting over...
Old 07-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #27
JackLord
Special Teams

A very sad time within a sad time ...

Some of my favorite players: Billy Kilmer, Larry Brown, Charlie Taylor, Pete Wysocki (RIP), Art Monk, Riggo, Stephen Davis, Darrell Green, Jack Pardee (RIP), Bobby Mitchell (never saw him play, but he is huge in our history), Sammy Baugh (ditto), Ricky Sanders, and too many others to mention.

Memories- tons. Dexter's hit on Danny White, Darrell Green's punt return/touchdown, Theismann batting down his own pass to prevent an interception, Jay Schroeder coming off the bench to beat the Giants after JT went down, etc.

And I think it was in the NFC championship against the Falcons- Darrell left the field due to injury. When he returned, the camera followed him as he trotted through the tunnel and out to the field. The crowd at RFK roared. It was like watching NFL films in real time.

Saw a fair number of games at both RFK and FedEx. I even braved the Vet twice (the legends are true and maybe understated). Also caught then at the old Giants Stadium 2x (decent fans btw) and once at that center of perdition known as Texas Stadium.

Don't know what the future brings for me and the NFL.

Hail to the Redskins!
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #28
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

My money is still on #Warriors. I don’t have a preference other than 11-5. #Redwolves is for a youth basketball team. Grow up. #HTTR

Kevin Sheehan
Old 07-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
My money is still on #Warriors. I don’t have a preference other than 11-5. #Redwolves is for a youth basketball team. Grow up. #HTTR

Kevin Sheehan
#GrumpyOldMan
Old 07-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #30
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
#GrumpyOldMan
I'm cool with Redwolves as long as they have a legit logo not some bs plain wolf on there.

I still think it'll be Warriors though