Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins don't plan on third straight franchise tag for Kirk Cousins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #46
MTK
\m/

Re: Redskins don't plan on third straight franchise tag for Kirk Cousins

The Redskins defense has ranked 21st, 28th, and 28th the last 3 years with Kirk as QB. Is that enough of a case to show the right pieces weren’t here?

If we can’t improve that side of the ball Smith will be a .500 type of QB like Kirk.

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #47
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The Redskins defense has ranked 21st, 28th, and 28th the last 3 years with Kirk as QB. Is that enough of a case to show the right pieces weren’t here?

If we can’t improve that side of the ball Smith will be a .500 type of QB like Kirk.
That's why I said that the red zone offense scoring will be a big difference with Smith vs Cousins. We were in the red zone a lot and Cousins, and the offense, often failed to convert and worse, sometimes at critical points, turned it over. Alex Smith hasn't shown a propensity to do that.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #48
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

That's also because we couldn't run the ball

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #49
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
......wonder what the open market would be for him???
I don't think he'll get 30 million AAV, but that might be because he doesn't need 30 mil AAV. Something comparable to Jimmy G should be fine. If he does get some insane deal (won't rule that out) it's because his agent played teams like fiddles against each other, but really that will only hurt Kirk in the end because he needs a good team around him to be the best player he can be.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #50
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I don't think he'll get 30 million AAV, but that might be because he doesn't need 30 mil AAV. Something comparable to Jimmy G should be fine. If he does get some insane deal (won't rule that out) it's because his agent played teams like fiddles against each other, but really that will only hurt Kirk in the end because he needs a good team around him to be the best player he can be.

?? You don't think Arron Rodgers will get an Offer of 30 million a year from Greenbay even after they said they will wait to see what happens with Cousins?Why would Arron Rodgers sign for JG money???
Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #51
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
?? You don't think Arron Rodgers will get an Offer of 30 million a year from Greenbay even after they said they will wait to see what happens with Cousins?Why would Arron Rodgers sign for JG money???
I thought you were talking about Kirk, whoops lol.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #52
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Unless we win the Super Bowl, three years from now we'll have a pesky faction on here second guessing every move the Skins made with Kirk, making the case that if we stuck with him we woulda had a chance. And they'll ignore the fact that Kirk was not going to sign with us long term.

Some people just like to live in the past. I'm ready to march forward with Smith.

You think Snyder will give Gruden three years to get to the Super Bowl?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #53
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
You think Snyder will give Gruden three years to get to the Super Bowl?
As long as we are playoff contenders yes.

If we back slide to losing seasons then no.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #54
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
That's why I said that the red zone offense scoring will be a big difference with Smith vs Cousins. We were in the red zone a lot and Cousins, and the offense, often failed to convert and worse, sometimes at critical points, turned it over. Alex Smith hasn't shown a propensity to do that.

He should definitely be an upgrade in the RZ
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #55
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
As long as we are playoff contenders yes.

If we back slide to losing seasons then no.
I'm thinking he has had four years already and even if you make the playoffs if you don't win I think he's gone in two.For him to stay it's at Least the NFC Championship game in the next two years.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm thinking he has had four years already and even if you make the playoffs if you don't win I think he's gone in two.For him to stay it's at Least the NFC Championship game in the next two years.
Maybe. I don't think Snyder is as impulsive with coaches as he is portrayed. In fact much like Jones and Garrett I think Snyder likes having a coach who isn't going to be as combative with him as Shanahan or Marty were. If that coach can produce a consistent team in terms of wins, I think Snyder keeps him.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #57
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Maybe. I don't think Snyder is as impulsive with coaches as he is portrayed. In fact much like Jones and Garrett I think Snyder likes having a coach who isn't going to be as combative with him as Shanahan or Marty were. If that coach can produce a consistent team in terms of wins, I think Snyder keeps him.
If you're right then the Skins and their fans have a couple of great years ahead of them.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #58
metalskins
The Starter

I swear, every thread I click on talks about Kirk Cousins. Will be so glad when he finally inks a deal with someone else officially. I know, I know, that won't be the end of Kirk Cousins talk.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #59
#56fanatic
The Starter

I am a big Kirk fan and honestly hate losing a guy in his prime with 7+ more years of pretty good football left in the tank. I saw a couple posts regarding RZ offense and how it bogged down under Kirk. Lets not forget that our biggest RZ option was out the majority of the year (Reed), and quite honestly we couldn't run the ball for a yard if we had to. when a D knows you can't move them off the ball - the fear of a run game is out the window. So, combine those two factors I think that speaks a lot for most of the RZ offense.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #60
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I swear, every thread I click on talks about Kirk Cousins. Will be so glad when he finally inks a deal with someone else officially. I know, I know, that won't be the end of Kirk Cousins talk.
I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss the RG III trade and the impact it is having on the Skins as they prepare for the draft.