Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

D.J. Swearinger released

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the release of DJ Swearinger?
Yes 29 67.44%
No 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: D.J. Swearinger released

O well, wasn't his deal up soon anyway? Dude is a solid Player but it's easy to see y he's always getting cut

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

99.9% of all jobs, you get fired the 1st time you pull that shit. He forced Grudens hand on this one. He played well this year, but that's not the kind of "leadership" winning teams have. Does create another hole that needs to be plugged next year.

Forget trading up for QB, we need to trade down for more picks.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #18
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
O well, wasn't his deal up soon anyway? Dude is a solid Player but it's easy to see y he's always getting cut

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yep he seems like a guy who always thinks he's better than the system. If I understand correctly, he was cut in Houston for walking out of a meeting about special teams / refusing to provide kickoff support because he claimed that he was a 2nd round pick and shouldn't be doing stuff like that. Also, his dog bit a team mate, and he allegedly had to steal his own car from a body shop. Sounds like a wonderful, intelligent human being.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #19
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Yep he seems like a guy who always thinks he's better than the system. If I understand correctly, he was cut in Houston for walking out of a meeting about special teams / refusing to provide kickoff support because he claimed that he was a 2nd round pick and shouldn't be doing stuff like that. Also, his dog bit a team mate, and he allegedly had to steal his own car from a body shop. Sounds like a wonderful, intelligent human being.
This is now the second time in his career that the former second-round pick from South Carolina has been released by a team despite playing well. The Texans, who originally drafted Swearinger, released him in 2015 following multiple incidents. Swearinger walked out of a special teams meeting because he reportedly viewed himself as too important to contribute on kick coverage due to being a second-round pick. Additionally, there were incidents in which his dog bit Jadeveon Clowney, and he allegedly stole his own truck from a body shop parking lot.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #20
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5superbowls3wins View Post
Agreed. DJ is not the problem. DJ helped this defense. Manusky needs to be canned. You have 4-5 starters speaking up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What it comes down to is basic insubordination. Jay met with DJ several times and told him that he was fine with his frustration and his complaining, but he asked him to keep it IN HOUSE. Even after this last time when he went bitching on twitter, etc., Jay and him had a sit down again, and Jay believed that they had reached an understanding.

You have to get rid of a guy like DJ for that behavior because if the other players see that DJ stands to face no discipline, what keeps them from doing the same thing, and / or eventually refusing to listen to instructions, etc.. Does it take turning into a situation like Portis had with Jim Zorn where he told him to "GTFO of my face" during a game?

Like someone else said, 99.9% percent of the time if you do what he did at any other job, you get fired.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
Tennskinsfan
Camp Scrub

I have mixed feelings in the aftermath of this cut. He has talked way more then he should have and Not that most of his statements weren’t justified. But the fact that it happened now leads me to believe these Jay and/or Bruce will still be there next year. And that scares me.

Atleast if Jay stays I hope that he takes this as a wake up call. The players aren’t suppose to be his friends. He’s their boss. We need leadership in the coaching staff that can demand respect instead asking for it.
Tennskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #22
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
100% agree. Making a move like this, regardless of if it is the right thing or wrong thing, indicates that most likely Jay and Bruce are both here next year.
yup ...
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Wow I was expecting him to be benched for a game at the most. Big props to the team for doing this. Didn’t think they had the balls.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #24
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Keim the voice of reason:

NASHVILLE -- Thoughts and observations after the Washington Redskins 25-16 loss to the Tennessee Titans:

1. The Redskins don't place enough emphasis on culture and create a situation in which a player feels comfortable ripping a defensive coordinator after a loss. Whether D.J. Swearinger is right or wrong is irrelevant here. You simply don’t see this happening with good organizations. Players grumble everywhere; players criticize play-calling, etc. It’s part of the game; how many of you sometimes complain about your boss? Same deal. But you’re not going to do so in a group email, tagging your boss on it so he sees it as well.

2. I also found it telling that Jonathan Allen tweeted support of Greg Manusky’s game plan a couple hours after Swearinger’s comments. I’ve said this before, but I’m not sure winning and losing matters more to anyone than to Allen. And he has a strong belief in how you go about your work. Swearinger works hard, too. Without a doubt. But they have different approaches when it comes to airing any grievances. To me it shows a tug of war inside that locker room when it comes to leadership. While it might feel good for some fans to hear Swearinger’s comments because perhaps they agree with him or they're frustrated with the season, that doesn’t mean it’s good for the organization. Swearinger is a passionate guy and some really like him; he’s not for everyone but I’m pretty sure he knows that as well. And doesn’t worry about it. This isn’t some media-generated controversy; Swearinger kept wanting to come back to this topic during his post-game presser. If someone had said to him, “Merry Christmas,” I’m quite sure his reply would have been something like, “Greg Manusky should receive coal and here’s why …” But with more flair.

3. One thing I will say: Whether you agree with Swearinger or not, he signed his name to the quotes. You don’t always see that; in fact you rarely do. These are the “an anonymous player” quotes that often get into stories this time of the year. But Swearinger owned it and gave his name. I’ve talked to a few people in the game since Saturday who felt that was dumb and an example of why he’s on his fourth team – and could be on his fifth next season. Teams don’t like airing dirty laundry in public. It’s a bad look. But Swearinger put his name on the quote and that’s rare.

4. Coach Jay Gruden said he’ll meet with Swearinger on Monday and determine if any discipline is warranted. (NOTE: For those who say the media loves this stuff, please know that I have not had a Chrismas Eve off in YEARS; now working or at least having to monitor this situation. Others have it worse with their jobs, I know. I'm respectful and appreciative for what they do. I love what I do. I also love spending time with my family. But this is about those who think drama is all we love have to realize how many extra hours it means in terms of work. Heck, there was one Christmas Eve where I sat in a pew waiting for mass to begin and was texting people about the Kyle Shanahan spat with Donovan McNabb’s agent. Fun times.) The hard part is that the Redskins are late in doing anything to players. If there’s one word I hear all the time associated with this team it’s this: accountability. More is needed and, if this same staff is here moving forward, they must figure out a way to have more. Actually, it’s easy. The front office needs to help as well if Gruden doesn’t want to be the judge and jury.

5. But the Redskins also sign guys with a history of behaving a certain way – and then see them do the same things here. No one should be surprised. It’s why, when constructing a roster, it’s about more than talent. And when you have something special in the locker room you know it because they police themselves. Players here have confronted others and it hasn’t mattered. That’s not good culture folks.

6. Now, does Swearinger have a point? Sure. I’ve talked to others – non-players mostly – who aren’t thrilled with the defense. I’m not going to tell you all the players except Swearinger like Manusky; I do know a lot like him – I’m talking as a coordinator. But I’ve also heard other people in the game wonder why they do play so much man with a corner such as Josh Norman, who is better in zone. Teams mix it up all the time so the Redskins do, too. But I can see Manusky being in trouble. If something happens, that would mean a fourth defensive coordinator under Jay Gruden. There’s not a good track record in picking one so if he gets that chance he’d better damn well sure get it right. If Todd Bowles is free, give him a call. (By the way, I’m a fan of Wade Phillips but his defense is 16th in yards and 17th in points this season. They were 19th and 12th last season, respectively. He would have been the better hire several years ago, but we need to stop thinking he’d have been a miracle worker here. Rankings certainly don’t reveal all, but good offenses move at will vs. them.).

7. If I’m the Redskins, the guy I want to build around on defense is Jonathan Allen. He works the way they want; cares about winning more than anyone and understands the importance of culture. He’s also a good player. I’ve said this before but when you talk to him you feel like he’s a 10-year veteran. You can bet he knew exactly what he was doing when he tweeted, “Greg manuski called a great game.” I believe both Swearinger and Allen want to win. Swearinger works hard without a doubt and is passionate.

8. Give the Redskins’ offensive line a lot of credit for what they did Saturday, especially inside with guards Kyle Fuller and Luke Bowanko. Fuller in particular blocked with a lot of muscle; I have not re-watched the game in its entirety yet but I did see him at times driving his man out of the way. Makes me wonder why he wasn’t playing sooner. But Gruden said it after the game: This is how they envisioned playing this season, with a powerful run game. He’s not just saying it; it’s something I talked to him about in the summer – and it’s what the organization envisioned during the offseason. They felt they had the right talent to make it work, too. Injuries robbed them of doing this at a higher level all season.

9. I also can’t imagine where their season would have gone had they not signed Adrian Peterson; there was reluctance to even bring him in for a workout up until Jamaal Charles and Orleans Darkwa didn’t pan out. But Peterson’s determination Saturday gave Washington a chance. I’d absolutely bring him back, especially with Derrius Guice coming off a bad knee injury and infections. I’d make sure I’m covered just in case Guice doesn’t return the same or has lingering issues. Peterson showed he can be more than an insurance policy, but I don’t know if other teams will line up to sign a 34-year-old back in the offseason (he turns that age in March). And if Guice is healthy he can’t be a part-time back. But find out and make sure. But Peterson’s impact was big this season; his work ethic and approach are good for a young back to be around. Guice spent most of the season in Pensacola, Florida or Louisiana. If he can spend time around Peterson in the offseason it would be beneficial.

10. Now that the Redskins have been eliminated from the playoffs, they must look at what changes must be made. We’ve already discussed Manusky, so what about Gruden? I have yet to hear any real smoke regarding him being in trouble. That’s based on conversations I’ve had, which is all I can go by. Now, owner Dan Snyder can keep things to himself -- and unless you're hearing it from him you just don't know for sure. But the feeling I’ve gotten is that he’ll return. Injuries have decimated this offense; that’s not an excuse for what’s gone on, but it is reality. Look at the offensive roster and pretend this is August; what record would you predict? So if they want to justify bringing Gruden back, they can. If I had to bet now, I’d say Bruce Allen returns as well. Is that definite? Don’t know; just a sense. But the Redskins can’t operate like everything is OK; it’s not. They don’t have a winning organization for a reason. I’d look at everything, from the front office structure to the medical staff and everything in between. That is, if you want to build a championship team. Otherwise, status quo!

Plus 1: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Appreciate everyone reading all year and the passion that you bring. Makes what I do more relevant.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

But this same team signed Foster 3 weeks ago.....

5superbowls3wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

Repeatedly calling out your superiors is never a good idea in any profession

Old 12-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #27
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I applaud the Redskins for doing this. Good for them. You can't continue to do what he is doing and continue to keep your job. He is basically ripping his bosses to the media and the public. Imagine if DJ did this and he was on the Patriots. He would have been gone the first time he did it. See ya and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I am not sure he would mouth off with the Patriots. The coaching staff is far more competent and the team more disciplined. As for keeping things in house. Maybe that was tried and the same shit kept happening. Do you just grin and bear it or do you try to make them accountable?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #28
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

D.J. Swearinger released

If they get rid of ONE person it needs to be Bruce Allen. If they don’t then we know Snyder isn’t sincere on fixing the organization. Look a Bruce’s record and decisions since coming here. That’s all you need to do.

It’s hard to blame Gruden when for two years the entire starting offense has been injured. You can’t blame that on him.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #29
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Fans outraged....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usa...cized-team/amp

Old 12-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #30
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Dale Earnhardt:

The optics on all this is crazy. Claimed Reuben. Kept Mason. Released DJ..... on Christmas Eve??!?!? **