Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum


2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #91
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 15,818
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Guys I’ve heard been turning serious heads in camp: Fuller, Cosmi, Cole Turner, Dotson

Also heard praise about JD Mac, Ben St Jus, Dyami Brown
We talkin' bout practice... lol.

But Turner at TE is interesting. He is going to have to put on some weight and learn how to block. Right now there is no way he can handle NFL LB's in the run game. But with his ball skills and long arms at 6'6 he might be a real keeper. Can they develop him?? He and Logan at TE you just have two guys w/ so much size and two guys who have the ball skills. LB's and Db's won't be able to deal with in the red zone.

Then if Dotson can develop w/ Terry... w/ JD out of the backfield. And just a little something out of Samuel.

If we just had a QB that was pin point accurate I feel this offense has so much potential. The parts are really coming together.

A high flying offense will also put some people in the seats.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #92
calia
Playmaker
 
calia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodside, CA
Age: 54
Posts: 2,802
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

The offense is definitely looking up. I'm worried about the middle of our D -- safety and LB seem to be weaknesses (although we do have Kurl and Holcomb, we don't have a lot else), and we may get eaten alive by slot receivers and TEs (and QBs who get the ball to them quickly negating our pass rush). And there was FA help available for those positions (less now). I am no GM nor do I play one on tv, but this seems to be a fairly uniform view -- for everyone but our decision-makers.
__________________
"Coach, what do you think of your team's execution?"
"I'm all for it." -- Coach McKay
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #93
Chief X_Phackter
Playmaker
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 4,070
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
We talkin' bout practice... lol.

But Turner at TE is interesting. He is going to have to put on some weight and learn how to block. Right now there is no way he can handle NFL LB's in the run game. But with his ball skills and long arms at 6'6 he might be a real keeper. Can they develop him?? He and Logan at TE you just have two guys w/ so much size and two guys who have the ball skills. LB's and Db's won't be able to deal with in the red zone.

Then if Dotson can develop w/ Terry... w/ JD out of the backfield. And just a little something out of Samuel.

If we just had a QB that was pin point accurate I feel this offense has so much potential. The parts are really coming together.

A high flying offense will also put some people in the seats.
Not if the defense sucks. Wins will put people in the seats, and that will take improvement from all three phases.

On paper I think we have improved at every position group on offense with the exception of the O-line. You can't say you improved there when they lost an All pro. I think they have the potential to be just as good though, collectively.

The defense is the question mark for me, particularly the LB group. They may be sufficient, but what happens if Cole or Jamin get injured? Not looking good there.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:07 PM   #94
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 15,818
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Not if the defense sucks. Wins will put people in the seats, and that will take improvement from all three phases.

On paper I think we have improved at every position group on offense with the exception of the O-line. You can't say you improved there when they lost an All pro. I think they have the potential to be just as good though, collectively.

The defense is the question mark for me, particularly the LB group. They may be sufficient, but what happens if Cole or Jamin get injured? Not looking good there.
Well yes wins at the end of the day is most important. But a few years ago w/ Alex they were winning and no one cared. They were a boring team. I just feel w/ this franchise, if they can just outscore some people and win some games 35-31 then at least they will be fun to watch. So a high flying offense and wins would be the best. I feel Wentz and also the o-line is going to slow things down, at least out of the gate.

I don't think much of the defense and especially Del Rio. A better DC would get this group to the middle of the pack and that is where they should be.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #95
Redskins247
Impact Rookie
 
Redskins247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 743
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Well yes wins at the end of the day is most important. But a few years ago w/ Alex they were winning and no one cared. They were a boring team. I just feel w/ this franchise, if they can just outscore some people and win some games 35-31 then at least they will be fun to watch. So a high flying offense and wins would be the best. I feel Wentz and also the o-line is going to slow things down, at least out of the gate.

I don't think much of the defense and especially Del Rio. A better DC would get this group to the middle of the pack and that is where they should be.
This is how I feel as well...in my opinion this is the ONLY way they will win, as I have little to no faith in this defense...it's built on a stack of cards and the winds will blow!
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:40 AM   #96
WCommandersfan99
Impact Rookie
 
WCommandersfan99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 536
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
This is how I feel as well...in my opinion this is the ONLY way they will win, as I have little to no faith in this defense...it's built on a stack of cards and the winds will blow!
I hope the defense improves. Think they will be better really. Think the dline will be very good especially when Young comes back. Excited to have a qb who will really sling it and plays aggressively. Think the offense will be a lot funner and should score more.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #97
Chief X_Phackter
Playmaker
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 4,070
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Another Commanders TE Injured in Practice

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/ne...mas-john-bates
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #98
Brummie Brave
Camp Scrub
 
Brummie Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 45
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Another Commanders TE Injured in Practice

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/ne...mas-john-bates
Sammis Reyes also has a hamstring problem according to RR
Brummie Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:32 AM   #99
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 3,983
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

UDFA LB Tre Walker electing to retire. We already lost UDFA LB Drew White to injury...
Rivera said he was eager to evaluate the LB squad, talked about an exciting group of young guys... I don't know what they need to see to realize our paper thin we are at LB...
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #100
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 30,916
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Keim said David Mayo replaced Jamin Davis at LB yesterday. Might just be a different sets they are trying out…I mean this is embarrassing.

Also Keim has said Kam Curl has had a strong camp and mentioned the Darrick Forrest has flashed at camp as well.

Holcomb and Curl are coming up on extensions, I’d lean towards moving towards extending both
__________________
My pronouns: King/Your ruler

mitch hedberg -

“You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just gonna ask where they're going, and hook up with them later.”
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #101
EdmundDorf
The Starter
 
EdmundDorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK, South
Posts: 1,009
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
UDFA LB Tre Walker electing to retire. We already lost UDFA LB Drew White to injury...
Rivera said he was eager to evaluate the LB squad, talked about an exciting group of young guys... I don't know what they need to see to realize our paper thin we are at LB...

John Keim
@john_keim
·
1h
LB Tre Walker is back, per source. Had a change of heart; talked with Ron Rivera and might be at practice tonight. Walker had told Rivera yesterday that he wanted to retire from football. He's a UDFA from Idaho.
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #102
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 3,983
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Keim said David Mayo replaced Jamin Davis at LB yesterday. Might just be a different sets they are trying out…I mean this is embarrassing.

Also Keim has said Kam Curl has had a strong camp and mentioned the Darrick Forrest has flashed at camp as well.

Holcomb and Curl are coming up on extensions, I’d lean towards moving towards extending both
You never want to overreact to training reports... But yeah this is embarrassing to some extent:

"LB David Mayo ran with the starters today in short-yardage defense, specifically in Washington’s 5-2 defensive front alongside Cole Holcomb. It appears that Rivera and the staff have identified a role for Mayo. Rivera confirmed that there are certain “groups” where Mayo is more valuable than Davis. “That’s just kind of the way some of the defenses are set up. We have a couple defenses where we have certain elements of it where it’s what we consider our big group."

LB squad is worrying anyway. But if Jamin Davis doesn't take a big step forward this year, it's beyond alarming. We have nobody. (Oh my bad, Tre Walker unretired, so we're set).
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:35 PM   #103
Chief X_Phackter
Playmaker
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 4,070
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

I think we can all agree that the fact that nothing significant has been done to upgrade the LB group seems borderline outlandish at this point - from the outside looking in.

However, I also think that players have their own strengths and weaknesses, and it's not that alarming to me that one player who isn't necessarily a starter (David Mayo) may have more to offer in a certain package than another player who is expected to be a starter (Jamin Davis).

While I am not exactly thrilled that we haven't brought in a Veteran LB to supplement this group, I am more than willing to wait and see how this all plays out.

Bringing in Mayo for a short-yardage defense package, is not the same thing as 'David Mayo taking all first team reps, Jamin Davis working exclusively with the 2s.'

BUT, if the LB group is trash this year - heads ought to roll.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #104
WCommandersfan99
Impact Rookie
 
WCommandersfan99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 536
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Sam Mills out as dline coach. Odd timing:

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/...training-camp/
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #105
EdmundDorf
The Starter
 
EdmundDorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK, South
Posts: 1,009
Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Been reported that Mills didn't see eye to eye with the players, some pointing to lack of performancd from D line last year as a result, maybe JDR and Ron were paying particular attention during camp having listened to the players. Hopefully we can expect a significant improvement
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Commanders or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.08290 seconds with 10 queries