Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

I wish we hired Gregg Williams as our coach.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Counter-Tre
Special Teams

I wish we hired Gregg Williams as our coach.

I know it's not healthy or productive to look back but I must confess, I loved that dead-eyed bastard. Seeing him kick ass with the Saints is filling me with regret and a lot of "what-ifs". Okay, I'm ready for my flaming.
Counter-Tre is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: I wish we hired Gregg Williams as our coach.

To me he was coming a bit too much of what we've hated about Blache so far.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I don't. Our organization would have been more poisonous than it is now. Grilliams and Snyder couldn't co-exist. Both of them have egos the size of Texas, it would have been a nightmare.

That and I think his act wears thin with players pretty quickly. He's very up and down (top 5 and bottom 5 defenses here, terrible in Jax, good in NO) which seems to signal something is going on deeper than the surface.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I don't. Our organization would have been more poisonous than it is now. Grilliams and Snyder couldn't co-exist. Both of them have egos the size of Texas, it would have been a nightmare.

That and I think his act wears thin with players pretty quickly. He's very up and down (top 5 and bottom 5 defenses here, terrible in Jax, good in NO) which seems to signal something is going on deeper than the surface.
Which more or less sums up the anti-Gregg Williams argument.

It would have been a good idea if we were coming off an NFC Championship game berth with Gibbs, but the way that season ended, we needed a fresh start. Unfortunately, we got this.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Hell no! He wouldn't be a good coach for anybody, he will always be just a d cord.. I still want gruden or shanahan next yr
Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Mechanix544
The Starter

Williams moved WAY too much to a prevent defense way too early in games for my taste. He is aggressive to an extent, but the bend but dont break D is just not to my liking. I hate when defenses "sit" on leads.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Hell no! He wouldn't be a good coach for anybody, he will always be just a d cord.. I still want gruden or shanahan next yr
Why is everyone so high on Gruden? The guy couldn't even settle on a QB with Tampa Bay. Shanahan without Elway did nothing, that why he was fired. I'll throw a name for you of someone that will become hot by the end of the college season. Jim "captain comeback" Harbaugh, yes the old Bears, Colts QB and current Stanford coach. I bet they will upset USC when they play later this year.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I wish I had won a million dollars...so what's the point of this?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Yeah and George Michael eluded to that in his interview about Snyder. Never would have worked.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Why is everyone so high on Gruden? The guy couldn't even settle on a QB with Tampa Bay. Shanahan without Elway did nothing, that why he was fired. I'll throw a name for you of someone that will become hot by the end of the college season. Jim "captain comeback" Harbaugh, yes the old Bears, Colts QB and current Stanford coach. I bet they will upset USC when they play later this year.
And he was Josh Johnson's coach at San Diego...it's funny you bring up Jim Harbaugh though. I was just talking to someone associated with Stanford football about him the other day. It's expected he'll move on soon, but probably stay in college football
Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
atomicnixon
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter-Tre View Post
I know it's not healthy or productive to look back but I must confess, I loved that dead-eyed bastard. Seeing him kick ass with the Saints is filling me with regret and a lot of "what-ifs". Okay, I'm ready for my flaming.
It's not just you, I feel the same way. I'm glad he's having so much success after falling flat in Jacksonville. Too bad we have to play the Saints this year; that ought to be interesting. lol.
atomicnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicnixon View Post
It's not just you, I feel the same way. I'm glad he's having so much success after falling flat in Jacksonville. Too bad we have to play the Saints this year; that ought to be interesting. lol.
No disrespect to G-Williams, but hasn't this been the first game the defense has done very well. I think in the other games, the offense has just basically outscored the opponent.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And he was Josh Johnson's coach at San Diego...it's funny you bring up Jim Harbaugh though. I was just talking to someone associated with Stanford football about him the other day. It's expected he'll move on soon, but probably stay in college football
I think he could make a smooth transition to the NFL without a hitch, having been a player, etc.. This guy is smart and can coach, he could change his mind and go to the pro's eventually.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Why is it that Williams, possessing such an allegedly gigantic ego and contentious personality, has been able to thrive under/alongside so many personalities and within several organizations in the league? I mean c'mon this idea that NFL coaches are nice guys who must find a way to cow-toe to their owner carries no water...

...the fact is it's lil Danny who has only been able to get along w/ two coaches his entire tenure as owner: Joe Gibbs (who gets along w/ everyone, period) and Zorn, one of the seemingly most mild-mannered, ho-hum types you can find on the sideline. Not sure how much longer Snyder and Zorn we'll be buds but that's another story. Bottom line is it's Snyder who has all the issues when it comes to people, Vinny doesn't help either as his lack of personality is becoming rather infamous.

Williams has a stronger track-record than anyone on our staff, period. Throw him under the bus for the one year stop in Jax if you like, ignoring that the defense wasn't entirely turned over to him and he didn't get to recruit talent. When given control as he basically had w/ the Skins and definitely has now w/ the Saints he works wonders w/ typically not elite talent. That said, and it's certainly obvious by now I'm a big fan and totally believed he deserved the HC job here, I'm very happy he landed where he did. I think he'll acquire a SB ring within a year or two and that wouldn't likely have happened coaching in D.C.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
Defensewins
Playmaker

The Jets vs Saints game was pleasure to watch. Both defenses are aggressive and play well. Unlike the bend but don't break/play not to lose/pussy style of defense we play. Williams had his CB's up tight on the WR and you could actually see the safety's. They we not playing 20 yards off the line scrimmage.

The Giants vs Saints game following the Saints bye week will be potential playoff preview. Should be a good game of two really good defenses.
Greg Williams is a respected coach in the NFL and is a better coach than Blache PERIOD.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote