Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Predicting the final 53

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Predicting the final 53

Here's my prediction for the final 53. Not a lot of surprises, but a couple difficult decisions.

Offense - 26
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, Taylor Heinicke, Kyle Allen
RB Antonio Gibson, J.D. McKissic, Jaret Patterson, Peyton Barber
WR Terry McLaurin, Dyami Brown, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Curtis Samuel, Cam Sims, Adam Humphries, DeAndre Carter
TE Logan Thomas, John Bates, Sammis Reyes
OL Charles Leno Jr., Cornelius Lucas, Wes Schweitzer, Ereck Flowers, Chase Roullier, Brandon Scherff, Sam Cosmi, Saahdiq Charles, Tyler Larsen

Defense - 24
DE Chase Young, Montez Sweat, James Smith-Williams, Shaka Toney
DT Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Daron Payne, Tim Settle
LB Jamin Davis, Cole Holcomb, Khaleke Hudson, Jon Bostic, David Mayo
DB Kendall Fuller, Jimmy Moreland, Landon Collins, Kamren Curl, Bobby McCain, William Jackson III, Benjamin St-Juste, Torry McTyer, Deshazor Everett, Jeremy Reaves, Troy Apke

ST - 3
Dustin Hopkins, Tress Way, Camaron Cheeseman
Returning kicks/punts - DeAndre Carter, Jaret Patterson

A couple notes:
OL - We are finally rid of the Wes Martin experiment. Larsen wins the backup Center job. I feel like the OL is full of starting caliber players.

WR - I wanted to keep Milne, but there's just no room. Carter wins the last WR spot due to his return abilities.

TE - I chose Sammis over Ricky based solely on potential. It's a toss-up to me.

DB - I struggled with the decision between Apke and Johnson. It is obvious to me that the coaches feel more comfortable with Apke than Johnson in the secondary. Johnson is a solid ST player, but it appears (at least in the eyes of the coaches) that Apke offers more overall. Hopefully he doesn't actually see the field much as a Corner - but you could probably say that about both of them.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Number44
Special Teams

Re: Predicting the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Here's my prediction for the final 53. Not a lot of surprises, but a couple difficult decisions.

Offense - 26
WR Terry McLaurin, Dyami Brown, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Curtis Samuel, Cam Sims, Adam Humphries, DeAndre Carter
OL Charles Leno Jr., Cornelius Lucas, Wes Schweitzer, Ereck Flowers, Chase Roullier, Brandon Scherff, Sam Cosmi, Saahdiq Charles, Tyler Larsen

Defense - 24
DB Kendall Fuller, Jimmy Moreland, Landon Collins, Kamren Curl, Bobby McCain, William Jackson III, Benjamin St-Juste, Torry McTyer, Deshazor Everett, Jeremy Reaves, Troy Apke

ST - 3

A couple notes:
OL - We are finally rid of the Wes Martin experiment. Larsen wins the backup Center job. I feel like the OL is full of starting caliber players.

WR - I wanted to keep Milne, but there's just no room. Carter wins the last WR spot due to his return abilities.

DB - I struggled with the decision between Apke and Johnson. It is obvious to me that the coaches feel more comfortable with Apke than Johnson in the secondary. Johnson is a solid ST player, but it appears (at least in the eyes of the coaches) that Apke offers more overall. Hopefully he doesn't actually see the field much as a Corner - but you could probably say that about both of them.

I read somewhere that RR wanted to keep 10 OL. Perhaps he was counting Cheeseman, since long-snapper is technically an OL.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

If that is the case, I would probably add K Ismael due to his ability to play guard and center, and remove a DB... probably would be Jeremy Reaves
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Heard Ron give Wes Martin some praise but have never heard him mention ismael, I think they will both being going to the practice squad though.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Hot take here: I think Jaret Patterson has played his way onto a roster spot.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #6
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post

Offense - 26

Defense - 24

ST - 3

A couple notes:

I have the same Offense/Defense/ST break down (26/24/3), with some slight differences.
Mainly I think there's no way we keep Apke over impressive rookie Darrick Forrest.
Maybe David Bada makes the team and Reaves doesn't though ?

I keep the exact same Olinemen as you, because I think Schweitzer, Lucas and Charles are quality backups with a lot of versatility and the rest of the back ups were horrible in PS. I also have Larsen over Ismael not because of a huge talent difference, but because you need one ready to go back up center, and I'm not sure Ismael is.

QB: Fitz, Heinicke, Allen
RB: Gibson, Barber, McKissick, Patterson
OL: Leno, Flowers, Roullier, Scherff, Cosmi, Charles, Schweitzer, Lucas, Larsen
TE: Thomas, Bates, Reyes
WR: McLaurin, Samuel, Brown, Humphries, Cam Sims, AGG, Carter

DL: Young, Payne, Allen, Sweat, William-Smith, Ioannidis, Settle, Toney (+Bada by cutting Reaves?)
LB: Holcomb, Davis, Bostic, Hudson, Mayo (god... we have no depth there, maybe Jared Norris makes the team over Mayo... who knows, who cares...)
DB: WJ3, Fuller, Collins, Curl, Moreland, St Juste, McTyer, McCain, Forrest, Everett, Reaves (might get cut if Bada makes the team?)

P Way
K Hopkins...?
LS Cheeseman

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 08-30-2021 at 02:46 AM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:42 AM   #7
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Side note, a surprise could be Darryl Roberts making the team... maybe over Reaves ?
Old 08-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
SunnySide
Playmaker

TE suddenly scares me. We have no one behind Thomas. If he gets injured ... can Turner and this offense operate without him? Surprised RR and staff went with 2 rookies to back up Thomas.

Disappointed if we carry Reaves and Apke. Pick one, I dont think either are NFL 53 man roster worthy.

3rd corner being a rookie ... not ideal.

LB group looks weak. Rookie plus below avg JAGs.

We have 17M or so in cap space. I would like to see us add a vet CB and LB if the right player gets cut. KJ Wright is also still out there. If he can being the right leadership and mindstate, without being like "this is what we did in Seattle" .. I think KJ Wright would complete this D. He'd tie the room together.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

EVERYONE is complaining about the LB room.

They need to be cleaning up on other team's cuts at LB. What we have is not good enough. Any injury to a starter and we're fucked.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
EVERYONE is complaining about the LB room.

They need to be cleaning up on other team's cuts at LB. What we have is not good enough. Any injury to a starter and we're fucked.
It’s early but my problem is just Bostic. He’s done.

Davis is gonna take a second to get that position

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #11
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
TE suddenly scares me. We have no one behind Thomas. If he gets injured ... can Turner and this offense operate without him? Surprised RR and staff went with 2 rookies to back up Thomas.

Disappointed if we carry Reaves and Apke. Pick one, I dont think either are NFL 53 man roster worthy.

We have 17M or so in cap space. I would like to see us add a vet CB and LB if the right player gets cut. KJ Wright is also still out there. If he can being the right leadership and mindstate, without being like "this is what we did in Seattle" .. I think KJ Wright would complete this D. He'd tie the room together.
If Logan goes down, you can pick up someone like RSJ off free agency.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #12
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
If Logan goes down, you can pick up someone like RSJ off free agency.
... and get RSJ type production.

Turner seems to rely heavily on TE.

Im scared to see this offense without Thomas.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:46 PM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
... and get RSJ type production.

Turner seems to rely heavily on TE.

Im scared to see this offense without Thomas.
I would have been scared to see last year's offense without Thomas. I think our wideout group is better than last year's, so losing Logan for a few games would not be terrible. Although, I must admit that I'd feel better about the wideout group if Curtis Samuel's health wasn't such a big question mark.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #14
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I am fine with our TE's, Logan is the premiere, but Bates and Reyes seemed serviceable at least. Ricky Seals Jones would step in if needed. That said, anytime you have a top 5-10 player at their position, you aren't likely to be the same offense if they go down. That is as true of CY as it is Logan.

I was looking at KJ Wright info yesterday, and I just think he wants too much and also too much of the "this isn't Seattle" mind you mentioned. I would not be upset if they brought him in but I could also see it tipping the locker room the wrong way.

LB's are the weakest group unless Davis really gets it.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am fine with our TE's, Logan is the premiere, but Bates and Reyes seemed serviceable at least. Ricky Seals Jones would step in if needed. That said, anytime you have a top 5-10 player at their position, you aren't likely to be the same offense if they go down. That is as true of CY as it is Logan.

I was looking at KJ Wright info yesterday, and I just think he wants too much and also too much of the "this isn't Seattle" mind you mentioned. I would not be upset if they brought him in but I could also see it tipping the locker room the wrong way.

LB's are the weakest group unless Davis really gets it.
Or Wright wants to sign with a team that is SB contender. Things have been really quiet with him ever since the offseason so who knows why he still hasn't been signed.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote