Washington Redskins (1988–1989)
Public relations
San Diego Chargers (1990–1997)
Assistant general manager
Carolina Panthers (1998)
Director of football administration
Carolina Panthers (1999–2001)
Director of player operations
Carolina Panthers (2002–2012, 2017–2020)
General manager
Washington Football Team (2021–present)
General manager

Marty Hurney (born December 20, 1955) is a general manager of the Washington Football Team. He previously served as the general manager of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL), and was also an assistant general manager under Bobby Beathard for the San Diego Chargers in the 1990s.

Early years
Hurney was born on December 20, 1955,[1] and grew up in Wheaton, Maryland.[2] He attended Good Counsel High School and Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Hurney

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/ga...picks-history/

^^ breakdown of all of his draft picks. Some tendencies - he likes to take QBs in the 3-5 round range (and misses on them). Mostly good drafts.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #17
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Marty Hurney Thread

An old Panthers retread.

Oh well. Hopefully KS stays, but if I was betting money, I think he's gone.

Rivera is getting to build the franchise his way. We have already seen improvements, so I'll be patient with the move and optimistic he has a successful plan in place.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #18
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Overwhelmingly, QBs drafted in the third round or later are "misses." I don't think you can judge his work by that nugget.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #19
jamf
Pro Bowl

More cronyism from Ron.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I'm fine with it. Of course it will be interesting to see how the dominoes fall now with Kyle Smith. Does he remain the VP of player personnel? Does he get an assistant GM title?
Yup, I think the title bump is due and should be a strong consideration with a weak GM hire.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
More cronyism from Ron.
You'd be hard pressed to find any team, or any company in general, that doesn't prioritize relationships when hiring.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Marty Hurney was fired twice by the Panthers.

Really wish we got one of the young guys from the Chargers or the Titans

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #23
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find any team, or any company in general, that doesn't prioritize relationships when hiring.
Yep. It is the norm.

I'm fine with the hire. Interested to see who this second front office hire is going to be...Mayhew, Cowden, Smith, Stokes?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #24
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Marty Hurney was fired twice by the Panthers.

Really wish we got one of the young guys from the Chargers or the Titans
Guess that means he was also hired twice...
Old 01-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #25
SunnySide
Playmaker

I dont think Ron trusts young guys ... but then he trusted 38 year old, never been an OC, to be his OC on a new team with roster limitations on offense.

Hurney has some good consistent drafts, read the knock on him is he isnt good with the cap and gives friendly contracts to homegrown guys.

Only thing I do know is the buck stops with Ron. I think clearly he is the leader and alone atop the organizational chart.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #26
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I dont think Ron trusts young guys ... but then he trusted 38 year old, never been an OC, to be his OC on a new team with roster limitations on offense.

Hurney has some good consistent drafts, read the knock on him is he isnt good with the cap and gives friendly contracts to homegrown guys.

Only thing I do know is the buck stops with Ron. I think clearly he is the leader and alone atop the organizational chart.
So we're resigning Scherff? Sweet.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #27
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Notable Hurney draft picks:

Julius Peppers
Thomas Davis
DeAngelo Williams
Ryan Kalil
Cam Newton
Luke Kuechly
Josh Norman
DJ Moore
Brian Burns
Derrick Brown
CMAC

That's a pretty good list, yeah he has some duds but all GM's do.
And he did that in how many years? 14? Kyle has done that in 3 years.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #28
SunnySide
Playmaker

If Kyle Smith doesnt draft Terry McLaurin ... Id say his draft (2019-2020) were not impressive (at this early stage of judgment).

But he did draft Terry. And he did stand on the table, put his neck out to strongly oppose drafting Dwayne Haskins when everyone else was afraid to say anything bc it was the owners pick (im editorializing).

I also think Snyder has black balled Kyle Smith to RR and RR doesnt mind having to pick someone he already knows. Just my pure fan speculation but if that article I read yesterday is half true ... Kyle Smith basically dressed down Dan Snyder in front of the entire staff right before the Dwayne Haskins pick and we all know Dan Snyder is a vindictive little bitch who demands everyone call him "Mr. Snyder" and to not look at him in his eyes.

I imagine Kyle Smith cant wait to get the hell out of here. Much like everyone else who has had the pleasure of working for Dan Snyder. You go in clean, you come out dirty as hell. At least there isnt a Bruce around to smear campaign people on their way out.

-------------------

During an interview with Redskins Nation, Smith broke down these two steals.

"We were excited that Terry was there," said Smith. "He's kind of a Swiss Army knife we call it because he has the skillset to fit in to each position at wideout. As an X, the guy can roll. I mean, he ran a 4.3 40, he can take the top of off coverage, as a slot receiver, he's got route ability, he's got instincts and toughness. As a Z, he is a point of attack guy because he blocks his butt off and then as you mentioned, the special teams value of this guy is off the charts and then another high, high character guy, one of the best character guys that we did."
1COMMENTS

Love was a player analysts and fans alike did not see the Redskins picking, but this was a player who Washington loved, and they couldn't help but write his name on the draft card.

"This kid, unbelievable," said Smith. "2017 he finished what, second in the Heisman? He was 2,000 yards rushing, eight-point something average, tremendous production, he had an unfortunate injury this year in the last game of the year with the ACL. He's (ahead of) schedule of coming back, we are going to take it slow with him but at that position, fourth round — it was a pick that — the guy was graded so high we couldn't pass him up. So we will add him to the mix and we'll take it slow and be patient with him."

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington...ove-131738497/
Old 01-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #29
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I also think Snyder has black balled Kyle Smith to RR and RR doesnt mind having to pick someone he already knows. Just my pure fan speculation but if that article I read yesterday is half true ... Kyle Smith basically dressed down Dan Snyder in front of the entire staff right before the Dwayne Haskins pick and we all know Dan Snyder is a vindictive little bitch who demands everyone call him "Mr. Snyder" and to not look at him in his eyes.
The only problem with that is Kyle was promoted a year after he disagreed with the DH pick. If anything, since DH has been released, that should give RR even more confidence in Kyle's intuition.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #30
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I see this as a good thing, Ron is thinking first and foremost about organizational structure. He's looking for someone experienced who will see the big picture, and the 2nd banana he's looking at (like a Ryan Cowden, etc.) is somebody who will oversee the scouts and put together the draft board.

Will be interesting to see who he gets to be that 2nd banana. I'm not sure a Ryan Cowden would move from his current spot in Tennessee if it's not for a lead dog type role. Maybe it's still Kyle, who knows.

But either way, Ron is realizing he needs a hierarchy in place. He needs someone who can help him make deals; negotiate on behalf of the organization for both player contracts and trades, and put together the big picture for roster building. And he needs someone to report in to that guy who will put together the draft board and do all the work required to have a strong draft. The preparation for the draft is a job where the horizon is always one year out, and it's too much work to think any differently than that. But the GM needs to be looking 3, maybe 5 years down the road. He can't be bogged down in the draft prep.

In a year where a big QB trade may be the most important decision we make, I don't want an inexperienced draft guru doing the negotiating. I look at this as another step we're taking towards becoming a grown-up organization.
I agree. I don't think Smith has the experience with non-draft matters to step up to GM right now, at least not and be immediately successful. If RR likes what he's seen and heard from him on the draft and UDFA, he'll want him mentored in the rest of the business and take over from Hurney IDC.

I can't help thinking that if RR had no faith at all in Smith to step up to GM, he'd have let him go after we lost to the Buccs. I'd say he wants him to be mentored into it.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote