Cards vs Skins Postgame Freakout

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #31
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Cards vs Skins Postgame Freakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
U can't rely on Reed though, I hate to say it but he's always hurt. He's an amazing player that when healthy is the best TE in football but he is made of glass. Every time I see him go down I feel like he's hurt. Tough mfer but still. Also we didn't have the best LT in football for 4 games. Remember when that happened and we all said if we go 2-2 without him we are ok? Well we did. Arizona is much better than record shows especially at home. They are loaded on both sides and it showed yesterday. Basically the last Qtr of the season is on us, we have 4 winnable games and if NY clinches the 5 seed they won't even care in week 17. I say we get in barely.
Guys like Reed and even ol' Gronk are not going to be 16 game a season guys, because of the way they approach the game. They don't hold back, which is what makes them the best tight ends in football. But, it makes them more, realistically, 10 game a season guys. So, you feel as a coaching staff, if you can squeeze out 10 solid games with these guys, maybe that equates to 10 wins. That's also why Scot McCloughan went out and got Vernon Davis, and why the Patriots picked up the murderer a few years ago.

I have to say though, Ty Nsekhe has held his own in the four games he has had to play for Silverback. I will be glad to see Trent back in the lineup, but I don't think we lost the last two games because we didn't have Trent Williams. I don't think Ty allowed a sack at all. That said, the one play he has to go out is the play Cousins got the stripped sacked, so, yeah, not having Williams or Nsekhe on that play really cost the 'skins.

The good thing is, the Redskins are used to having to win out to make the playoffs. Hopefully they're going to have everyone back and healthy enough to make the run. We will get Williams back, but I think coach Callahan needs to look at working Ty Nsekhe into that lineup, because he's been very valuable for us. Reed will help along the way, but this game serves as a wake up call that this team is going to have to fight tooth and nail if they want to get back in the playoffs this year.

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #32
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
Guys like Reed and even ol' Gronk are not going to be 16 game a season guys, because of the way they approach the game. They don't hold back, which is what makes them the best tight ends in football. But, it makes them more, realistically, 10 game a season guys. So, you feel as a coaching staff, if you can squeeze out 10 solid games with these guys, maybe that equates to 10 wins. That's also why Scot McCloughan went out and got Vernon Davis, and why the Patriots picked up the murderer a few years ago.

I have to say though, Ty Nsekhe has held his own in the four games he has had to play for Silverback. I will be glad to see Trent back in the lineup, but I don't think we lost the last two games because we didn't have Trent Williams. I don't think Ty allowed a sack at all. That said, the one play he has to go out is the play Cousins got the stripped sacked, so, yeah, not having Williams or Nsekhe on that play really cost the 'skins.

The good thing is, the Redskins are used to having to win out to make the playoffs. Hopefully they're going to have everyone back and healthy enough to make the run. We will get Williams back, but I think coach Callahan needs to look at working Ty Nsekhe into that lineup, because he's been very valuable for us. Reed will help along the way, but this game serves as a wake up call that this team is going to have to fight tooth and nail if they want to get back in the playoffs this year.
I think we will win out. Something tells me this team has the heart and fight to dig out. Tampa is really our only true concern and they play NO twice. Dallas and Carolina. Like I said though, even getting in I just don't see our defense being able to win a game against Atlanta or Detroit on the road.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #33
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think we all have to remember that we're not going the FA route anymore. The FA's that SM is going to sign are journeymen type of guys. He's going to upgrade the defense and the team basically through the draft.
We have kept a few of our own free agents...and I would say that Josh Norman is more than a journeyman. While the draft is where you make your money, I wouldn't say that SM won't sign any impact free agents.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #34
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
The red zone offense is bad..... no running game (1.2 ypc) .... a first down fade to Desean Jackson vs Peterson ???????
That fade call was just dumb. The penalty didn't help. First and goal at the 1 = FG?

This team did not look like they deserved a playoff spot.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #35
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post

Not sure anyone could have done anything for Lauvao, he really got destroyed on that play.

How long do you think Long will be out?
Sullivan did a pretty good job at center yesterday, didn't he? But I think Long's absence can hurt us.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #36
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

The Redskins defense is your prototypical bend and more often than not break defense. They'll get some stops, and they'll look decent against an average or below average offense. However, against a decent QB, with a decent O-line, a couple playmakers, and a capable play caller they are going to give up 25-30+ points. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense, and is not a recipe for success to make it to the playoffs, or make any noise if they happen to get there.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #37
FlyerSkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
The Redskins defense is your prototypical bend and more often than not break defense. They'll get some stops, and they'll look decent against an average or below average offense. However, against a decent QB, with a decent O-line, a couple playmakers, and a capable play caller they are going to give up 25-30+ points. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense, and is not a recipe for success to make it to the playoffs, or make any noise if they happen to get there.
Bend but don't break defenses only are ok if they know how to take the ball away. This defense doesn't do that.
FlyerSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #38
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
That fade call was just dumb. The penalty didn't help. First and goal at the 1 = FG?

This team did not look like they deserved a playoff spot.
I feel the same way! First off, you don't throw a fade to a little wide receiver like Desean Jackson! Secondly, Patrick Peterson is a top 3 shut down corner and will effectively defend that play 10 out of 10 times, even against a much taller receiver....that fade was the dumbest play call I ever saw!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #39
J. Falcon
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I feel the same way! First off, you don't throw a fade to a little wide receiver like Desean Jackson! Secondly, Patrick Peterson is a top 3 shut down corner and will effectively defend that play 10 out of 10 times, even against a much taller receiver....that fade was the dumbest play call I ever saw!
Second dumbest, second only to the wildcat call against the Cowboys.
J. Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #40
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSkin View Post
Bend but don't break defenses only are ok if they know how to take the ball away. This defense doesn't do that.
They were pretty good at taking the ball away early in the season and in spots, but it hasn't carried through the entire season...they are definitely below average in that category.

I didn't say bend but don't break. I said bend and "more often than not break" defense. They definitely break...which is why the offense usually has to put up 30+ points for them to have a chance.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #41
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Not being able to get off the field on 3rd and long, failing in the red zone, and the sack/fumble, which resulted into an Arizona TD, cost us yesterday.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I like when we got down to the redzone yesterday and we ran Fat Rob for 4 yards down to the 1 and then we did a QB sneak for the TD.

That happened didn't it? Because I question my memory at this point, because that's the correct sequence....but it doesn't seem real coming from this team.

Can someone verified we ran the ball and the QB sneak?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #43
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
They were pretty good at taking the ball away early in the season and in spots, but it hasn't carried through the entire season...they are definitely below average in that category.

I didn't say bend but don't break. I said bend and "more often than not break" defense. They definitely break...which is why the offense usually has to put up 30+ points for them to have a chance.
The good ole bend and break defense. Lol, that is not the type you want.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #44
MTK
\m/

For once I'd like to see us sell out on running inside the five, bring in a heavy jumbo set and just run it three times. Commit to being physical, are you really telling we can't punch it in behind Scherff and Morgan?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #45
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Breeland and Preston Smith have both regressed this year. They've both only had like 1 good game. I still have faith in Breeland, just needs to get his confidence back.

I'm worried about Smith, is he always going to be one of those guys that is just too damn lazy to do anything with his talent? Did he even play yesterday? Didn't see that he was out but don't recall even noticing him.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote