The stadium thread 2: New stadium boogaloo

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #61
irish
Playmaker

Re: The stadium thread 2: New stadium boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I used to work part time for an event management team. Putting on races part of the expenditures was paying the jurisdiction for the necessary street closures and other need services EMT etc.
You are correct. I was talking to someone who directs a race near Hagerstown MD and they told me the police who directed traffic at intersections and other spots on the race route were getting $80 per hours. I was stunned, that's a lot of money to stand around or sit in their car. They have now rerouted the course to minimize/eliminate the need for these police and save a lot of $. Most runners think they are volunteers and that's the farthest thing from the truth.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2022, 08:14 AM   #62
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The problem with the RFK site is that's its in a neighborhood. There are no bars/restaurants around and nowhere to build any. I don't see that site having what DS wants for a new stadium.
Especially with these new stadiums - they're built as part of multi-plex arrangements with retail/event complexes that bring in revenue the other days of the year. I don't think RFK has nearly that much space.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:46 AM   #63
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Especially with these new stadiums - they're built as part of multi-plex arrangements with retail/event complexes that bring in revenue the other days of the year. I don't think RFK has nearly that much space.
It doesn't. And the neighborhood would never go for a complex like that.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #64
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

It could, IF they also captured the land from the DC armory. It is essentially a multi-use complex today for car shows, gun shows etc. That could be incorporated to a totally new stadium complex. It could rival what they have done with the Nationals Park area.

Quote:
It doesn't. And the neighborhood would never go for a complex like that.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #65
SunnySide
Playmaker

Metro -- has to be metro accessible

If they put the new stadium deep in VA and not on a Metro .. Im done.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:11 PM   #66
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
It could, IF they also captured the land from the DC armory. It is essentially a multi-use complex today for car shows, gun shows etc. That could be incorporated to a totally new stadium complex. It could rival what they have done with the Nationals Park area.
It is used for car shows and things like that but it is a military facility and I doubt the DC National Guard/US Govt is going to give up any of that land.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #67
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Mayor said they have 100 acres.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #68
JackLord
Special Teams

Quote:
The problem with the RFK site is that's its in a neighborhood. There are no bars/restaurants around and nowhere to build any. I don't see that site having what DS wants for a new stadium.
The watering holes of Capitol Hill are in staggering distance. Back in the day, we would leave RFK and celebrate at places like the Tune Inn.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:43 PM   #69
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
When's the last time you were in that area ? There is a whole slew of great place's right around there and up along Pennsylvania Ave and along Cap Hill.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:25 AM   #70
SunnySide
Playmaker

WASHINGTON — In what could be a major blow to plans for a brand-new Washington Commanders stadium in Virginia, state lawmakers are in talks to take hundreds of millions of dollars off the table in its bid to bring the team’s new complex to the Commonwealth.

Multiple sources within the Virginia Legislature tell WUSA9, talks are underway to slash the stadium financing package it plans to offer Washington Commanders owner Dan Snyder from one billion to $350 million. That’s a stunning 65% decrease in the amount of money the Commonwealth would pony up to help Snyder build his new Commanders stadium on one of three proposed Northern Virginia sites.

When asked why, one State Senator, who asked not to be identified so that he could speak freely on the issue, said “Public reaction to this project has been underwhelming. With every passing day, it’s evident the team lacks gravity.”

In addition to the challenge of selling tickets, the franchise continues to operate under the cloud of sexual harassment investigations by Congress and the NFL. And with Virginia planning to pay back whatever stadium bonds it sells using future tax revenue from a new stadium, that unnamed State Senator added “a lot of us have concerns that the team has the ability to stay viable for a decade. Or even, five years.”

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sports...0-b3e2a95d138c

Yikes ... I dont even think Snyder has the means/capital to finance a new huge stadium mini-city complex without State contribution.

Would someone even "lend" him 1B?
Old 03-31-2022, 10:39 AM   #71
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Bezos probably would.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:42 AM   #72
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
WASHINGTON — In what could be a major blow to plans for a brand-new Washington Commanders stadium in Virginia, state lawmakers are in talks to take hundreds of millions of dollars off the table in its bid to bring the team’s new complex to the Commonwealth.

Multiple sources within the Virginia Legislature tell WUSA9, talks are underway to slash the stadium financing package it plans to offer Washington Commanders owner Dan Snyder from one billion to $350 million. That’s a stunning 65% decrease in the amount of money the Commonwealth would pony up to help Snyder build his new Commanders stadium on one of three proposed Northern Virginia sites.

When asked why, one State Senator, who asked not to be identified so that he could speak freely on the issue, said “Public reaction to this project has been underwhelming. With every passing day, it’s evident the team lacks gravity.”

In addition to the challenge of selling tickets, the franchise continues to operate under the cloud of sexual harassment investigations by Congress and the NFL. And with Virginia planning to pay back whatever stadium bonds it sells using future tax revenue from a new stadium, that unnamed State Senator added “a lot of us have concerns that the team has the ability to stay viable for a decade. Or even, five years.”

Yikes ... I dont even think Snyder has the means/capital to finance a new huge stadium mini-city complex without State contribution.

honestly that is good news, i hope the Commanders continue to rot at FEDEX and no one helps DS. Then eventually when all he has is shanty town for a stadium and his biggest sponsor left is Eastern Motors, then hopefully he sells. Its the only way to get rid of him.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:55 AM   #73
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

He definitely doesn't have that capital. He had to borrow money to buy out his minority owners. I think the disconcerting thing is the state legislature doesn't see a long term viability of the team.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:11 AM   #74
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Bezos probably would.
Surprised hes not in on the Broncos. Up for sale. Bezos "made" 19B in one day last month.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #75
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
He definitely doesn't have that capital. He had to borrow money to buy out his minority owners. I think the disconcerting thing is the state legislature doesn't see a long term viability of the team.
Has the buyout of the Minority Owners been approved ,I didn't think it had gone through yet?