Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Rome on the Portis/Bailey Deal

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-27-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Rome on the Portis/Bailey Deal

On Rome is Burning tonight, Rome was all over the Broncos for trading Portis away. Two 1500 yard seasons and a potential 2000 yard season in the future and you can't pay him? On NFL total access they said about the same: shut down corner is nice but a guy touching the ball 20-30 times a game at 5.5 yards a carry is nicer!
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2004, 02:15 AM   #2
offiss

Well how bout champ for mike anderson he's rushed for 1500, is he an elite back? I don't believe you can judge a back in a conventional sense running in the bronco system, it's like trying to judge a hitter playing for the rockies they are star's in colorado but also-ran's everywhere else.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:37 AM   #3
Shane
Special Teams

Do people think about the possibility that the Broncos are good at evaluating running back talent?

But if you want more evidence of the extraordinary rare talent of Clinton Portis:

From Dave Krieger in Rocky Mountain News:

"But back to Shanahan's argument that he can get 1,500 yards out of anyone he sticks back there. The year Anderson ran for 1,487 yards, the Broncos had a scary passing game, ranked third in the league. Last year, the Broncos' passing game scared only their own fans. Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey are at or very near the end of the line. Rod Smith remains an excellent player, but he, too, is getting on.

The passing game was ranked 22nd in the league last season. The running game, with Portis, was second. Portis was the offense.

It's not his total yards so much as the average - 5.5 yards per carry - that tells you Portis is one of a kind. Of the top 20 rushers in NFL history, only two averaged 5 yards a carry - Brown (5.2) and Sanders (5.0)."
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Mortenson said on ESPN, that everything should be offical by the end of the working day Friday, hey thats today.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #5
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm curious to see if a #2 is in the works. Shanihan seems upset with Porits, maybe Cerrato will smell that and withdraw the 2nd. I'd be ok with a 3rd next year, I just think we need to fill a hole this year!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

As much as I hate to throw away next year's picks, I'd much rather give them a #2 or #3 next year than a pick this year.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Also keep in mind Portis ran for over 1500 yards last year despite missing 3 games. He definitely has 2000 yard potential.

Portis is clearly not a "system" back. Everyone knew coming out of college he had this sort of potential, but since he doesn't have that prototypical size of 6-0, 220 that every team wants he slipped down. The Broncos loss will be our gain.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:29 AM   #8
CrazyLikeAFox87
Camp Scrub

Portis/Bailey

I agree that if we are going to trade away a pick, it should be next year's. There's a lot of talent still going to be available high in the 2nd.

I'm looking forward to seeing Portis as a Redskin though.
CrazyLikeAFox87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Some seem to think that The Denver Post first reported the #2and it may not necessarily be true. We'll see.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:06 PM   #10
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
As much as I hate to throw away next year's picks, I'd much rather give them a #2 or #3 next year than a pick this year.
Sadly, the rule of thumb for GM's in trades is a second round this year is a first round next year. If a team wants a player in a specific round enough, they'll mortgage the future to get him.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:58 PM   #11
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

They may make the deal today but I thought they couldn't officially announce it until March 3rd. Of course I'm sure some annonymous source will set the record straight. I just want to know something for sure. The suspence is killing me!!!!!!!!
azskinsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:49 PM   #12
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Thumbs down

i really do'nt care what jim rome thinks because he is a big horse's ass in my view.i put him right down there with the original fatboys peter king and lenny p,which is one step lower than crocodile piss. i do'nt understand how the broncos can trade away a potential 2000 yard rusher like portis away,no matter who they are getting.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #13
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

OOOHHH common johnnyredskins, how can you not like rome?? The guy is freaking halarious. Oh well, since it comes from you, I wont take it perosonally, lol.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:25 PM   #14
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Thumbs up

i think he just rubbed me wrong way when i saw jim everett go after his ass a few years back.if it makes you feel better my friend,i'll give him a second look because you like him. hey,coming from a skinfan in a new york state of mind,how can i refuse?(lol)
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:42 PM   #15
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I must say I really don't like Jim Rome. I very rarely agree with him on issues, I've noticed I'm not the conventional sports fan either. I'm a bit crazy, that's why most of you want me to go away 8)
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote