Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What’s your plan for the Quarterback position?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

What’s your plan for the Quarterback position?

I’m making an attempt to get over this season’s hangover...it’s been awhile since I’ve had this feeling of simply not giving a f$ck. Moving forward.

How you plan for the QB position for this year is how you view the plan for the near future of the franchise. Are you a “start Colt and flame out?” Or go get a free agent QB Vet and push for the playoffs? You a trade up and go get the best QB in the draft? Or you prefer waiting on a QB later in the draft, not reaching?

While salary cap will impact the decision, we could make several cuts to make room...now this would severely limit other moves and give us a lot of dead money which counts against the cap. I personally hate carrying dead cap hits.

What ever you decide, you need to form an opinion with Colt first. To me, Colt isn’t a starter and he will get injured like he always does. But he is extremely cheap and would position us for more of a “tank season.” I personally have a problem with tanking...head says yes, heart says fuck that noise. I’m not with tanking.

I’m not a big fan of the QB coming out...But there a lot of different choices and style. I’ll back them if we get one, but moving up in the first is an absolute non starter with me.

Teddy Bridgewater...this would be my choice. I’d make a push for sign him as a prove it deal and tell he must compete, but will have the first opportunity to lead. Bridgewater has the most talent of the Vets and still the most unproven potential imo. I think he is primed to lead...tannehill, dalton, Flacco, keenum, and others...we clearly know who they are, and their price isn’t worth it. Bridgewater maybe motivated to take less in order to get a big contract down the line, but he needs that starting job to do it. The problem is someone may want to give teddy a huge contract right now...no way I’d do that or get into a contract bidding position.

If Miami and Cincinnati both keep their starting QB, that is terrible news for Bridgewater and awesome for us...that’s really what to watch when it comes to the free agent market. Flacco to Broncos was great news.

I’d pair Teddy with a 3rd round qb pick because we need a young qb to develop regardless.

What is your QB plan? Are you drafting the future now?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
kct1975
The Starter

Re: What’s your plan for the Quarterback position?

Most likely I am in the minority here, but I am one of the few people who here that actually thinks that Colt McCoy is a decent quarterback. When Colt McCoy was in Cleveland, he actually did fairly well behind an awful Offense Line, before he was seriously injured. And in the few stints that Colt McCoy has had an opportunity to play in Washington, he has been decent. I do agree, however, that he does seem to get injured easily.

The 2019 season is going to be a complete and total Hot Mess Dumpster Fire
Mostly because of the Redskins Management of Dan Synder and Bruce Allen. So it really doesn't matter to who is playing at quarterback.

Personally I would be fine with going into the 2019 season having Colt McCoy as the starter and possibly having Josh Johnson backing him up. Mark Sanchez, however, is a complete and total waste of time, and should be cut. With the Salery Cap situation that the Redskins have gotten themselves into, I personally wouldn't throw amymore money at the quarterback position. So I'd be fine with going into the 2019 season with only 2 healthy veteran quarterbacks.

If the Redskins are able to draft a decent quarterback in the later round, like a Brett Rypien, I'd be fine with that.

If, however, the Redskins do decide to sign another veteran quarterback to a fairly low amount, I'd be Okay with that too. I just don't see any reason to throw a bunch of money at the quarterback position, especially with the cap problems due to the Alex Smith injury.

I am aware that I may get several negative comments to my post due to my respect for Colt McCoy, but since it was asked to express our opinions, those are my thoughts.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Tannehill wont be in Miami , they are rebuilding from scratch..

Teddy would be a solid signing, Tyrod Taylor as well.

My opinion is not a popular one but I say draft a QB in the 1st rd and roll with him after week 2 or 3 (Like CLE did). Unless Josh Johnson is winning games early on.

Daniel Jones or Kyler Murray would be my top choices, Drew Lock a 3rd.

Our defense is pretty solid, we do need Safety but I think Landon Collins is an option after Zach BRown gets cut.

Our first 3 picks needs to be

QB
G
WR.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Should have mentioned, who you like at QB in the draft...if your down with drafting one.

Id prefer Haskins at QB. Jones and Lock would be a reach in the first...not down with that.

K Murray...gonna have to put him in the right scheme imo. Maybe the new OC would have that scheme...im open to picking him at 15.

He Gets Us
Old 02-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I would roll with Colt or JJ as starter. With Alex Smith's contract even a bottom level veteran starter who now command $10 mil+ just is not affordable. I would say use two picks on a QB, one early round and a mid rounder. I could not say who as I didn't watch a lot of college football this past year, and even if I did I have never been good at evaluating QBs. Let the rookies sit and learn while JJ and or Colt lead the Redskins to 3-13 and a nice high draft pick. If one of the rookies look like the QB of the future trade that high pick down for multiple picks.

Last edited by Buffalo Bob; 02-22-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I would roll with Colt or JJ as starter. With Alex Smith's contract even a bottom level veteran starter who now command $10 mil+ just is not affordable. I would say use two picks on a QB, one early round and a mid rounder. I could not say who as I didn't watch a lot of college football this past year, and even if I did I have never been good at evaluating QBs. Let the rookies sit and learn while JJ and or Colt lead the Redskins to 3-13 and a nice high draft pick. If one off the rookies look like the QB of the future trade that high pick down for multiple picks.
I hate to be that guy, but if we have double digits losses we will be in position to draft several great QB talents. Like 3 guys who are much better than the top QB prospect this year. So why draft 2 this year?

He Gets Us
Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The only option is Colt McCoy, he knows the system better than any FA or draftee. Drafting a QB this year is a must, I would only draft a QB in the 1st if it’s Murray, Lock or Jones and that’s even iffy.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I hate to be that guy, but if we have double digits losses we will be in position to draft several great QB talents. Like 3 guys who are much better than the top QB prospect this year. So why draft 2 this year?
Kind of like shooting short range with a shotgun loaded with buckshot over a snub nosed .38. You are more likely to hit something. If the two guys this year look like duds that 3-13 will afford you a do over the following year. The QB position is the hardest to evaluate, history proves that. Often a projected good draft for QBs goes bust and a projected poor one turns out a handful of franchise QBs. The 2016 class was projected as weak, but out of the top 5 QBs picked 3 are franchise QBs that made Pro Bowls. Even the best at the draft fail picking QBs. Bill Walsh considered a QB genius, who selected Joe Montana in the 3rd round also has a first round pick of Jim Druckenmiller on his resume. Montana was considered the GOAT until recently surpassed by Tom Brady and Drunckenmiller probably has one of the worst career passer ratings of all time for anyone who threw at least 50 passes.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Kind of like shooting short range with a shotgun loaded with buckshot over a snub nosed .38. You are more likely to hit something. If the two guys this year look like duds that 3-13 will afford you a do over the following year. The QB position is the hardest to evaluate, history proves that. Often a projected good draft for QBs goes bust and a projected poor one turns out a handful of franchise QBs. The 2016 class was projected as weak, but out of the top 5 QBs picked 3 are franchise QBs that made Pro Bowls. Even the best at the draft fail picking QBs. Bill Walsh considered a QB genius, who selected Joe Montana in the 3rd round also has a first round pick of Jim Druckenmiller on his resume. Montana was considered the GOAT until recently surpassed by Tom Brady and Drunckenmiller probably has one of the worst career passer ratings of all time for anyone who threw at least 50 passes.
ok get it...still I wouldn't tho.

Back to Colt...I rather have Colt than pay a Dalton, Keenum, Tannehill. Simply too much money for similar output. But Colt is extremely injury prone...that's a big problem (I guess I don't need to state to Skins fans, injuries are a big problem)

He Gets Us
Old 02-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

I don't think I want to do anything that will screw up our ability to build the team in a stable fashion for the long term. Trading for Joe Flacco might have done that because of the cap consequences - glad it didn't happen.

I'd like to see cap space remain available to retain our crucial players like Scherff when the time comes. So that rules out spending what it would take to get a Tannehill, Foles, etc.

I don't mind dipping into the bottom of the QB scrap heap in free agency because the supply outstrips the demand this year. We might be able to get a Teddy B or Tyrod Taylor for just a few mil, who knows.

But those guys should only be considered insurance for Colt, who like KCT I believe can be a decent player if he can just stay healthy.

I strongly consider drafting a QB with the first rounder. Whether Alex comes back or not, he's getting older and we need a future. I'm not convinced that Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, and Kyler Murray can't be very good in this league. I'm not convinced that they will either. But I'm at least sniffing around hard on them and thinking about it.

No trade up, but stay at 15 and if I can get one of them, possibly do it.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I don't think I want to do anything that will screw up our ability to build the team in a stable fashion for the long term. Trading for Joe Flacco might have done that because of the cap consequences - glad it didn't happen.

I'd like to see cap space remain available to retain our crucial players like Scherff when the time comes. So that rules out spending what it would take to get a Tannehill, Foles, etc.

I don't mind dipping into the bottom of the QB scrap heap in free agency because the supply outstrips the demand this year. We might be able to get a Teddy B or Tyrod Taylor for just a few mil, who knows.

But those guys should only be considered insurance for Colt, who like KCT I believe can be a decent player if he can just stay healthy.

I strongly consider drafting a QB with the first rounder. Whether Alex comes back or not, he's getting older and we need a future. I'm not convinced that Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, and Kyler Murray can't be very good in this league. I'm not convinced that they will either. But I'm at least sniffing around hard on them and thinking about it.

No trade up, but stay at 15 and if I can get one of them, possibly do it.
To get Murray they will have to trade up, the demand for him will get even higher after the combine. One of the other 3 mentioned should be there at 15.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
GridIron26
Playmaker

I like this thread.

First of all, if I were GM, I would sit down with Gruden to go over all possible options. Based on what we have learned about Gruden's belief in Colt McCoy, I think we would be content with Colt McCoy as starter, and maybe Josh Johnson only if Gruden believes he is best back-up option for Redskins. If not, then we will go after whoever Gruden wants to be the back-up QB. I think it's pointless for us to go after any free agent QB to be our starter because he is likely not going to be our future QB. Instead, we should focus on resigning (and extending) our key players and strengthening the team for future.

If Gruden and our scouts really like a QB from the draft, then we should draft him if we get the opportunity. If we draft a rookie in 1st round, let it be open competition between Colt and the rookie. Whoever wins the competition gets to lead the team for the season.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Some of you guys have WAY too much faith in Colt Mccoy, he can never ever stay healthy because he's fragile as fuck and he isn't any good to begin with. Saying CM is the QB1 for 2019 might as well say we are tanking 3-13.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #14
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Some of you guys have WAY too much faith in Colt Mccoy, he can never ever stay healthy because he's fragile as fuck and he isn't any good to begin with. Saying CM is the QB1 for 2019 might as well say we are tanking 3-13.
I don't think (and never believed) Colt can carry Redskins to Super Bowl. I chose Colt only because of the position Redskins is in - there isn't much Redskins can do about it except to trade up to draft Murray or Haskins, and that is not ideal strategy. I really believe there is no point for us to sign a free agent QB to be starter for Redskins because he is not likely going to be our future QB.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The concern with Colt is definitely injury history so you have to backstop him with other options, which exactly what all of us are saying.

He did some good things when he came in for Alex against the Texans, almost brought us back from a big hole. Then had a 3-INT stinker against Dallas the next week. Then got hurt.

I don't agree that he can't play decent football - I do agree that you can't count on him for 16 games, hence the need for a backup plan.

But if 3-13 this year means we preserve the long term cap flexibility, then I'll live with it. My main point is I don't want to see us do anything that compromises our cap flexibility because in that case you wouldn't be able to find a coach on earth that would want this job.