For all non-insiders

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1832520

for all you non-insiders, here is a little scouting report on the NFC east
Bergman14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Bergman14
Special Teams

by the way, thank god the Giants didnt keep Kerry Collins, they are going to be in a lot of trouble. i heard Palmer is throwing better in the training camps. When he isnt hitting the bottle Collins is a really great QB, i either cant remember the exact details why they didnt resign him or I just dont get it.
Bergman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Nice job Bergman14, I like the idea of Dallas running zero cover on Coles, Gardner and Cooley/Royal/Kozlowski. Touchdown, Washington Redskins!
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

I agree about the zero coverage, but it's awful gutsy and I don't think we'll see it as much this year.

One more month and football is back!!!!
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

am I the only one who saw just the cowboy evaluation on the link?
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
skinznut
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
That's all I saw too because I'm not an insider. It said if I wanted to read the rest of it I could subscribe now.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #7
MonkManiac
Special Teams

Here's the full text:

Thursday, July 1, 2004
Coughlin must win over veteran group

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scouts, Inc.

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys Bill Parcells likes to have a big back who can key a strong running game. However, he had to employ more of a running back-by-committee approach in his first season with the Dallas. The Cowboys drafted Julius Jones but there are still some questions about his ability to pound the ball inside. Parcells also believes in big, physical offensive lines. But Dallas enters the 2004 season with left tackle with Flozell Adams as the only reliable starter.

The situation between Parcells and WR Antonio Bryant bears watching. Bryant doesn't like being a No. 3 receiver and has been very vocal about it. But the Cowboys needs Bryant to give them a legitimate three-receiver attack. If the situation deteriorates and Parcells cuts Bryant, the passing game will suffer.
Dallas' secondary is also a concern. The Cowboys play a lot of "zero" coverage schemes where the corners get no safety help over the top. It places tremendous pressure on the corners and while Terrance Newman played well as a rookie last year, projected starting RDC Pete Hunter is relatively untested.

New York Giants
Eli Manning is the future of the organization, but most quarterbacks need a year to adjust to the NFL. The media pressure in New York is also extremely intense. Manning will likely not be ready to start at the beginning of the regular season. While the Giants seemingly addressed this concern by signing Kurt Warner, the former MVP didn't play well during mini-camps. Warner could struggle playing behind a very-suspect offensive line. His durability is also reason for concern.

The Giants are a veteran team that believed in Kerry Collins and adjusting to Manning or Warner may not be easy. In addition, new head coach Tom Coughlin has taken over a team that has experienced success in the past. Getting the older players to believe in his system during training camp will be critical to the team's success.
The offensive line can't protect the quarterback and the defensive line can't put consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks. T LDE Michael Strahan is the only legitimate star on either line.

Philadelphia Eagles
Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson employs an aggressive blitz-happy scheme that requires cornerbacks to play tight man-to-man coverage. It worked well when the Eagles had Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor. Now the starting corners are Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard. While both are athletic, they are not physical shutdown corners and will struggle against big receivers.

Philadelphia lacks a dominant playmaker at linebacker, which places tremendous pressure on the defensive line, making matters worse. The defense may need to scale back on the blitzing and play more traditional schemes in the back seven. But the Eagles will need the front four to provide consistent pressure.

Washington Redskins
The Redskins lured hall of fame coach Joe Gibbs back to the game. However, owner Daniel Snyder and VP of football Vinnie Cerratto have a history of meddling with coaches. It has caused numerous problems in the past and a team with high expectations could underachieve if it happens in Gibbs' first season back.

Washington doesn't have the personnel along the defensive line to pressure opposing quarterbacks. This could force defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to blitz OLB's Lavar Arrington and Marcus Washington. Frequently blitzing will force the secondary to play more man-to-man schemes.
MonkManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

So what was so "insider" about that? That's a total rip off from ESPN. It's all just speculation.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:54 PM   #9
saden1
MVP

Who is writing their web-apps? Jeezz....they need to do a better job securing their pages.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

thanks monk. there sure was a bit more analysis of the cowpies and little giants than the skins and the igles. oh yeah, the other day I actually met a civil igles fan who gave props to the skins and thinks they have a solid chance to do damage the next few years.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:30 PM   #11
Riggo44
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
No what's up with that?? :confused-
Old 07-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #12
That Guy
Living Legend

a civil igles fan???? man i'm so confused...

i forgot about them losing their corners, i wonder how our passing games gonna go when we play them...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #13
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Did anyone else read the survey that was done on Eagles fanbase? Apparently 70% have had sex in the shower, the other 30% haven't been to jail yet.

Come on, it's Friday what do you want? OK, I'll log off.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:30 PM   #14
Big C
Mr. Brightside

thanks for not making me ask u to leave
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

does anyone with insider know if they say anything about Taylor or Cooley in their impact rookies reports?