Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell


Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Thread Hell


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #31
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Portis and Betts could not get yardage with the 1st stringers. Rock could not do anything either with the 1st stringers or 2nd/3rd stringers. The OL was having a terrible time with the run blocking openning holes. So please stop with the 2nd/3rd stringers. If we are evaluating like some of you I would have to cut Portis, Betts and Rock.
It's hard to even debate a point with logic like that. Even if we go back to the preseason, and ignore what's happening right now; Portis reached 5000 yards for his career, faster than any running back EVER, and owns multiple Redskins rushing records. Betts rushed for 1100 yards in eight starts a couple years ago, and Rock is a solid #3 and an above average kick returner.

In order for Mason to make the squad, he would have had prove that he could be more valuable than Rock. When he was given the chance to perform Rock's primary function(returning kicks), he fumbled. He also had issues picking up the blitz. Peace, Mason. Good luck.

Why would ANY team hold on to a player that may or may not be a flash in the pan, with the caliber of proven football players in front of him, at his position? And even suggesting that Mason was doing things in preseason that Portis and Betts could not do is just plain ignorant.

And as far as picking up Alexander; while I'm not a big fan of it, the situation is basically a wash. A washed up MVP, or a never was... hmmm.
Southpaw is offline  

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #32
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

I have reason to believe Portis finds Alexander more valuable than Mason, even if only as a information resource.
SirClintonPortis is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #33
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Let's beat this dead horse some more ...

Running backs in the NFL take a tremendous beating. The typical life span of a NFL running back is less than five years. The drop off in production is exponential and rarely is regained. The point I've tried to make, and others as well, is Shaun Alexander is well past that point of being productive. This off-season, all 32 teams agreed with this point. If he had anything left, he wouldn't have been a free agent for so long. I know Zorn and Stump are buddies with Alexander and that's why they picked him up. He is nothing more than a warm body. Running back is a young man's position. Running back is one of the few positions a player can come straight out of college and make an immediate contribution to a team. The only reason we keep talking about Mason is he showed potential. To me, that's better than a warm body.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #34
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 36
Posts: 1,319
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
The only reason we keep talking about Mason is he showed potential. To me, that's better than a warm body.
Ironically, that's all Mason is to the Jets...
Southpaw is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #35
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,022
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
I have reason to believe Portis finds Alexander more valuable than Mason, even if only as a information resource.
Straight from the horse's mouth folks.

Shouldn't you be at practice or watching some film?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
Special Teams
 
Jake2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 111
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
I have reason to believe Portis finds Alexander more valuable than Mason, even if only as a information resource.
I don't think there is much if anything that SA could teach Portis at this point in his career. If anything I would say Mason would have benefitted from Portis's knowledge which could have been beneficial in the long run.
Jake2008 is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #37
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Hmm, I wonder why Portis watched film that had Alexander playing to get himself acquainted with Zorn'sWCO.
SirClintonPortis is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #38
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

If I didn't want to cause tension in the locker room I would blow smoke up his ass too. CP was already a household name before SA was League MVP.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 10-31-2008 at 03:54 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #39
Special Teams
 
Jake2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 111
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Portis is a class act. There is nothing he says here that is surprising. You would never see Portis say 'Look I am the league rushing leader and have been great for years. There is nothing SA can teach me.'
Jake2008 is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #40
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
It's hard to even debate a point with logic like that. Even if we go back to the preseason, and ignore what's happening right now; Portis reached 5000 yards for his career, faster than any running back EVER, and owns multiple Redskins rushing records. Betts rushed for 1100 yards in eight starts a couple years ago, and Rock is a solid #3 and an above average kick returner.

In order for Mason to make the squad, he would have had prove that he could be more valuable than Rock. When he was given the chance to perform Rock's primary function(returning kicks), he fumbled. He also had issues picking up the blitz. Peace, Mason. Good luck.

Why would ANY team hold on to a player that may or may not be a flash in the pan, with the caliber of proven football players in front of him, at his position? And even suggesting that Mason was doing things in preseason that Portis and Betts could not do is just plain ignorant.

And as far as picking up Alexander; while I'm not a big fan of it, the situation is basically a wash. A washed up MVP, or a never was... hmmm.
I'm not denying that Portis and Betts are not better backs then Mason. but some on here would say everything Mason has done is against 2nd/3rd stringers. I'm tired of hearing that arguement. Portis couldn't put up the yrds in the preseason with the 1st stringers. Neither could Betts. All I'm saying is our run blocking sucked and it's hard to gage a player based on what he did in preseason. Yes it's a guide for the coach's along with practice.

If SA was anywhere near being a playmaker then why did Seatle let him go. To put it in similar terms would be for us to have cut Portis when he injured his shoulder last yr. We did not cause we saw that he would be able to return and be the Portis we all know. Apparently Seatle didn't see that in SA. Neither did several teams who spoke with him over the summer. I don't doubt we picked him up solely due to the fact our coach's know him. Hell we could have brought back Riggo and got as much production from him as we did SA. Riggo not only participated in a Super Bowl he helped to win it.

Why did you mention Rocks position and Mason. I think if you put Betts back there or Portis you would have had the same results as Mason. You put someone at KR who has not played that position in a long time if he has at all and ask him to do what someone has been doing for almost 10 yrs cause he can't make it as the featured RB. Not fare. I am with you all the way on the fact he would have had to prove he was more valuable then Rock to make the team.

There's no question the three we had to start the season were the best RB's. I'm questioning the fact that when one goes down the team picks up a washed up RB who will need to learn the play calls (cause they are not the same as Seatles) and learn the supposed Gibbs running scheme which SA would not be familiar with that Zorn said he was keeping. I dissagree. I doubt the team was simply looking for a warm body. I think they obviously needed a 3rd back in case Portis went down. They obviously went with SA cause of his past record. I'm simply saying I would have picked a never was that knows the play calls and knows the running scheme vs a has been that has to take time to ..as some of you say "get in football shape", learn the play calls, and learn a whole new running scheme. but I will admit it's not fare to judge him on his 2 games either.

Oh and lastly...you mentioned or someone did Mason's fumble while while being used as a KR. I guess that's a good enough reason to let him go. Cut him for fumbling in a position he's not used to. What would you do with Betts who had a fumble in preseason while doing the position he was hired to do?
SBXVII is offline  
Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #41
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

The answer lies within the title: "To get acquainted with Zorn's WCO" I guess he should have watch films of WR's?

With Mason now we might get to see if he really can play in the NFL if he gets any or enough carrys. The reason I said enough carrys is because one big run or one for a loss will tell us nothing.
firstdown is offline  
Old 11-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #42
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
Let's beat this dead horse some more ...

Running backs in the NFL take a tremendous beating. The typical life span of a NFL running back is less than five years. The drop off in production is exponential and rarely is regained. The point I've tried to make, and others as well, is Shaun Alexander is well past that point of being productive. This off-season, all 32 teams agreed with this point. If he had anything left, he wouldn't have been a free agent for so long. I know Zorn and Stump are buddies with Alexander and that's why they picked him up. He is nothing more than a warm body. Running back is a young man's position. Running back is one of the few positions a player can come straight out of college and make an immediate contribution to a team. The only reason we keep talking about Mason is he showed potential. To me, that's better than a warm body.
Well put!!
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #43
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
Let's beat this dead horse some more ...

Running backs in the NFL take a tremendous beating. The typical life span of a NFL running back is less than five years. The drop off in production is exponential and rarely is regained. The point I've tried to make, and others as well, is Shaun Alexander is well past that point of being productive. This off-season, all 32 teams agreed with this point. If he had anything left, he wouldn't have been a free agent for so long. I know Zorn and Stump are buddies with Alexander and that's why they picked him up. He is nothing more than a warm body. Running back is a young man's position. Running back is one of the few positions a player can come straight out of college and make an immediate contribution to a team. The only reason we keep talking about Mason is he showed potential. To me, that's better than a warm body.

You are one smart mother fucker. You must have a PHD or some shit. I applaud your contribution to this site through that one post.

For years we were pissed about signing overaged, has been, FA's and we were pissed because we were giving up draft picks at the same time. We do the right thing for one offseason and all of a sudden the signing of 1 over aged veteran is now accecptable.

I would have thought by now that we realized that a team is built on the draft and youth, not by some "has been" who is looking for a paycheck.

All of those who thought that signing SA was a good idea have disappointed me, bcause I thought that we had realized that this sort of a thing is not always best for the team.

I understand that most will argue that we did not pay much for him, but I disagree; giving up a roster spot for a unproductive player was an expense that a winning organization should not tolerate or resort to.

Thanks for your time.
KLHJ2 is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #44
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

enough of this crap. neither one of these guys would get more then 5 carries. so it could have been me they signed, and it really wouldn't make that much of a difference
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #45
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

SirClintonPortis, you said....." I have reason to believe Portis finds Alexander more valuable than Mason, even if only as a information resource."

I totally agree. There is nothing Mason could have provided for Portis.

Matty, you brought forth a hyperlink to where Portis is mentioning how he watched SA in the West Coast.

I still would like to know what SA provided for Portis? This is not your traditional West Coast running scheme. Zorn kept Gibbs running game. So tell me when did SA play in Gibbs running scheme and how will he be able to provide any information to Portis as to how he should run in it any better then he already is? If anything Portis is more valuable to SA at this point and Mason. I would rather have a young up and coming RB to learn from Portis then an old has been that will be looking for retirement around the same time our current RB are looking for retirement.

About the only thing Portis could have learned from SA about Zorn's offense is the pass plays to the RB. I'll bet more that Portis was simply being nice. 'cause I bet he looks at films of all the other RB's to see if they are doing anything that could help him. No different then business men/women look at each other to see what the new trends are and to see if they can employ it.
SBXVII is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.40901 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25