Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's revisit the 2018 draft (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64836)

MTK 05-05-2021 09:56 AM

Let's revisit the 2018 draft

As they say, you can't really grade a draft until 3 years in. So let's look at the 2018 draft and see what we really got out of it.

rd 1 Daron Payne
rd 2 Derrius Guice
rd 3 Geron Christian
rd 4 Troy Apke
rd 5 Tim Settle
rd 6 Shaun Dion Hamilton
rd 7 Greg Stroman
rd 7 Trey Quinn

Wow what a dump of a draft eh?

Obviously Payne is a stud, grade A pick.

We know the story with Guice, first class POS human.

Christian has been a disappointment and could be looking at his time here coming to an end this summer.

Apke can't play safety, good special teamer though.

Settle has been a nice backup, could develop into more.

SDH, Stroman, Quinn, BLAH.

Overall I'd give this draft a C- and it's only a passing grade because of Payne.

Defensewins 05-05-2021 10:08 AM

Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

I like Settle. He is a solid run stopper and depth.

punch it in 05-05-2021 10:15 AM

Terrible besides Payne and Settle. Just awful. Guice pick was high risk high reward. Obviously we got the shit end of the stick there. The rest is just absolute garbage.

simbosargos75 05-05-2021 10:19 AM

My first reaction when I saw the thread title was "Do we have to"?

Payne and a bunch of trash. Other than Settle and he's nothing special.

FrenchSkin 05-05-2021 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=Defensewins;1283240]I like Settle. He is a solid run stopper and depth.[/QUOTE]Yeah Settle is underrated, very good rotational DT, would have way more playing time on many teams not having spent 2 first rounds on interior linemen.

Anyway, main thing we can learn from 2018 draft is... Beyond the first round, we have absolutely no clue which players are going to pan out and which won't, thus we have no idea if a draft is good or not...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk

GridIron26 05-05-2021 11:07 AM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1283248]Yeah Settle is underrated, very good rotational DT, would have way more playing time on many teams not having spent 2 first rounds on interior linemen.

Anyway, main thing we can learn from 2018 draft is... Beyond the first round, we have absolutely no clue which players are going to pan out and which won't, thus we have no idea if a draft is good or not...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk[/quote]

Agreed with both points.. I really hope we can find a way to extend or resign Settle somehow, I imagine Settle will want to join a team where he will have a chance to compete for a starter spot. If we decide to let Payne or Allen walk next year then we must resign Settle.

SunnySide 05-05-2021 11:14 AM

I wanted Derwin James over Payne, real surprised he passed on him but there must have been something bc he dropped.

Guice - I wasnt on the Guice train but was super happy we didnt take him with our 1st. Makes me wonder if we passed Derwin for some unknown character reason .. why did we draft Guice with known red flags.

Christain - reach on a project player much like Charles,. didnt like it.

Apke - reach on a project player w blazing combine stats, as a 4th i didnt haet it but it was a reach

MTK 05-05-2021 11:19 AM

It was a typical Bruce led draft. Mostly misses, no idea on what his rationale was. Liked to gamble on injuries and character.

Chico23231 05-05-2021 12:08 PM

Payne could break out into the elite category this coming season. Love that pick and he’s paid off.

Settle has been a surprise. He’s been great rotation depth and would like to keep him.

It’s gonna be tough to keep both, Settle could be a guy who could get plucked with a big contract offer if he continues to perform. Lotta folks still sleeping on Settle

Chico23231 05-05-2021 12:10 PM

Lol…I crushed the Apke pick when it happened. Apke is gone

BaltimoreSkins 05-05-2021 12:24 PM

Think C- is fair grade Most of those players are probably going to have typical careers for their draft spot. Settle hitting above average for a 4th while Guice was below.

Schneed10 05-05-2021 04:05 PM

I think we're not just underrating Tim Settle, but seriously underrating Tim Settle. He's a starting caliber player, just buried on the depth chart behind two first rounders from Alabama, and a when-healthy 2nd only to Aaron Donald interior pass rusher.

You could make an argument that the best thing for the team is to trade Allen or Payne now and let Settle play. I don't think you lose much.

Back to the topic - because Settle is so good the draft can't be viewed as anything less than a B-. They say if you get two starters out of a draft, you've done well. We got Payne and I count Settle as a starting caliber player.

But they deserve to be dinged seriously for Guice because he dropped for character reasons, and it turned out to be completely true. 2nd round is high for a RB in the first place, and if he's got character concerns then it's even harder to make a profit on the selection.

The Christian pick is annoying too because the guy was clearly never strong enough. You can teach technique. It's a lot harder to move the needle on strength and speed, and impossible to move it on size.

I'll go B-. Settle is a genuine gem, he saves what could have been a D.

CrazyCanuck 05-05-2021 04:09 PM

Since we're discussing past drafts...

[URL="https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/kyle-shanahan-says-washington-planned-drafting-russell-wilson-2012"]Kyle Shanahan says Washington planned on drafting Russell Wilson[/URL]

SkinsGuru 05-05-2021 04:33 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1283271]I think we're not just underrating Tim Settle, but seriously underrating Tim Settle. He's a starting caliber player, just buried on the depth chart behind two first rounders from Alabama, and a when-healthy 2nd only to Aaron Donald interior pass rusher.

[B]You could make an argument that the best thing for the team is to trade Allen or Payne now and let Settle play. I don't think you lose much.[/B]

I'll go B-. Settle is a genuine gem, he saves what could have been a D.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more with the bolded part. Package Payne and Scherff and go get Rogers, or sell em individually for some high draft picks. Use an abundance of strength at one position (saves money and gets picks) to solve issues in areas of weakness.

mooby 05-05-2021 05:03 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1283259]Payne could break out into the elite category this coming season. Love that pick and he’s paid off.

Settle has been a surprise. He’s been great rotation depth and would like to keep him.

It’s gonna be tough to keep both, Settle could be a guy who could get plucked with a big contract offer if he continues to perform. Lotta folks still sleeping on Settle[/quote]

This is the way. I agree.

Defensewins 05-05-2021 08:48 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1283271]I think we're not just underrating Tim Settle, but seriously underrating Tim Settle. He's a starting caliber player, just buried on the depth chart behind two first rounders from Alabama, and a when-healthy 2nd only to Aaron Donald interior pass rusher.

You could make an argument that the best thing for the team is to trade Allen or Payne now and let Settle play. I don't think you lose much.

Back to the topic - because Settle is so good the draft can't be viewed as anything less than a B-. They say if you get two starters out of a draft, you've done well. We got Payne and I count Settle as a starting caliber player.

[B]But they deserve to be dinged seriously for Guice because he dropped for character reasons, and it turned out to be completely true. 2nd round is high for a RB in the first place, and if he's got character concerns then it's even harder to make a profit on the selection.[/B]

The Christian pick is annoying too because the guy was clearly never strong enough. You can teach technique. It's a lot harder to move the needle on strength and speed, and impossible to move it on size.

I'll go B-. Settle is a genuine gem, he saves what could have been a D.[/quote]

Guice also hyperextended his knee at LSU and never had surgery which might also be why he dropped. I think other teams were scared away by that knee, that he later tore the ACL with us in his ever first preseason game against New England.
Bruce Allen loved injured players (RB Bryce Love & OG Arie Kouandijo) and he thought he was getting a deal.
I am glad BA is gone.

Defensewins 05-05-2021 10:01 PM

This guy is hilarious. Give him time, he really gets going. He really like the WFT. He even talks about Settle.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580[/URL]

Chico23231 05-05-2021 10:36 PM

[quote=Defensewins;1283290]This guy is hilarious. Give him time, he really gets going. He really like the WFT. He even talks about Settle.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580[/URL][/quote]

“Let me tell you something cowboy nation… Tim Settle, a rotational player had just as many sacks as our entire starting d tackles combined”

Settle is a baller

Pervis_Griffith 05-06-2021 01:44 PM

[quote=Defensewins;1283290]This guy is hilarious. Give him time, he really gets going. He really like the WFT. He even talks about Settle.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580[/URL][/quote]

Guess wot? That dude IS hilarious.

And guess wot? -- he's right. The Washington Football Team is gonna go straight at 'em, becuz guess wot? They ain't got no D-Linemen. Becuz guess wot? They are top heavy in their roster construction.

And guess wot?

lolol That was funny. But insightful too. Dude knows what he's talking about.

Cowboys did try to address some of that in their draft. We'll see how they did.

punch it in 05-06-2021 07:33 PM

Let's revisit the 2018 draft

[QUOTE=Schneed10;1283271]I think we're not just underrating Tim Settle, but seriously underrating Tim Settle. He's a starting caliber player, just buried on the depth chart behind two first rounders from Alabama, and a when-healthy 2nd only to Aaron Donald interior pass rusher.

But they deserve to be dinged seriously for Guice because he dropped for character reasons, and it turned out to be completely true. 2nd round is high for a RB in the first place, and if he's got character concerns then it's even harder to make a profit on the selection.

I'll go B-. Settle is a genuine gem, he saves what could have been a D.[/QUOTE]

Second only to Aaron Donald? That might be stretching it. Top 10-15 for sure and if you factor in his age probably more appealing. I certainly agree that him being buried behind Allen and Payne overshadows his abilities. It is hard to find a top 15 anything that isn’t a starter. If Settle leaves at one point because of money I sure hope GM’s around the league hold him in as high regard as you do.
Unless I read this wrong and you are talking about Matty I? I would say the same thing about him i guess.

sdskinsfan2001 05-06-2021 07:40 PM

[quote=punch it in;1283358]Second only to Aaron Donald? That might be stretching it. Top 10-15 for sure and if you factor in his age probably more appealing. I certainly agree that him being buried behind Allen and Payne overshadows his abilities. It is hard to find a top 15 anything that isn’t a starter. If Settle leaves at one point because of money I sure hope GM’s around the league hold him in as high regard as you do.
Unless I read this wrong and you are talking about Matty I? I would say the same thing about him i guess.[/quote]

I would hate to trade Payne or Allen, but if we could trade one and re-up the other, and re-up Settle, that would be ok by me.

My preference would be to keep Allen and Payne. I'd re-up Allen now and FT tag Payne the 1st year after his contract expires. And re-up Settle. Then we have a couple more years with all 3. That's a lot of money for the next couple years, but worth it for the strength of our team. Then in a few years you will have flexibility to do as needed.

If we can keep 2 out of 3 for the foreseeable future, that is a win for the team.

Then you have to draft well again for a replacement.

FrenchSkin 05-07-2021 04:43 AM

[quote=punch it in;1283358][B]Second only to Aaron Donald[/B]? That might be stretching it. Top 10-15 for sure and if you factor in his age probably more appealing. I certainly agree that him being buried behind Allen and Payne overshadows his abilities. It is hard to find a top 15 anything that isn’t a starter. If Settle leaves at one point because of money I sure hope GM’s around the league hold him in as high regard as you do.
Unless I read this wrong and you are talking about Matty I? I would say the same thing about him i guess.[/quote]

Schneed was referring to either Payne or Allen ;-)

EdmundDorf 05-07-2021 05:25 AM

On a strictly per snap basis, Schneed is right. In terms of Sacks/QB Hits per snap Settle is way up there in the league rankings. But he only plays 33% of the snaps, which probably keeps him fresh to get better results when he is in the game. What he would look like if he had to play 75-80% of snaps is more difficult to foresee.

Looking solely at 2020

G Snaps T AT Sacks TFL QB Hits FF
Payne 16 84.3% 27 27 3 7 8 3

Settle 16 33.3% 12 6 5 5 7 0

punch it in 05-07-2021 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1283370]Schneed was referring to either Payne or Allen ;-)[/QUOTE]

Yes in reference to the two guys from Alabama obviously, but than says “and a guy who when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald” - that is either referring to Settle or Matty I. Hence the “and a guy who....”

FrenchSkin 05-07-2021 06:24 AM

[QUOTE=punch it in;1283373]Yes in reference to the two guys from Alabama obviously, but than says “and a guy who when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald” - that is either referring to Settle or Matty I. Hence the “and a guy who....”[/QUOTE]Oh yeah sorry that Matty I then, because he was listing the guys Settle was behind of !

punch it in 05-07-2021 06:27 AM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1283374]Oh yeah sorry that Matty I then, because he was listing the guys Settle was behind of !

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Right. But it even could be read like Settle is a guy who is burried behind two guys from Bama AND when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald.
Anyway whether Matty I or Settle- neither is the second best interior pass rusher in the league. Matty I is really good. Not second though.

FrenchSkin 05-07-2021 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=punch it in;1283375]Right. But it even could be read like Settle is a guy who is burried behind two guys from Bama AND when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald.
Anyway whether Matty I or Settle- neither is the second best interior pass rusher in the league. Matty I is really good. Not second though.[/QUOTE]Well yeah guess you're right. Think the overall point simply was Settle gets way more playing time on any other team.

punch it in 05-07-2021 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1283376]Well yeah guess you're right. Think the overall point simply was Settle gets way more playing time on any other team.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yes he does. We are definitely rich at DT. Good problem to have.

skinsfan69 05-07-2021 08:10 AM

Looking back on the Guice pick, how do you not do your homework? Drafting someone w/ that low of character in the 2nd round is inexcusable. The current regime would have never touched that guy.

Not a real good looking back. You got one starter out of that draft.

Monkeydad 05-07-2021 09:21 AM

Hamilton played well for a 6th-rounder.

Apke in the 4th is a massive failure.

And as just stated, Guice tanks this whole draft. Seems like the previous front office had a thing for low character guys. Guice, Dunbar, they did grab Reuben Foster BEFORE charges were dropped...

MTK 05-07-2021 09:38 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1283383]Looking back on the Guice pick, how do you not do your homework? Drafting someone w/ that low of character in the 2nd round is inexcusable. The current regime would have never touched that guy.

Not a real good looking back. You got one starter out of that draft.[/quote]

They had to have known some of the story with Guice and were probably hoping LSU was going to keep it covered up.

simbosargos75 05-07-2021 10:14 AM

Guess what?

That was entertaining.

AnonEmouse 05-07-2021 12:21 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1283392]Hamilton played well for a 6th-rounder.

Apke in the 4th is a massive failure.

And as just stated, Guice tanks this whole draft. Seems like the previous front office had a thing for low character guys. Guice, Dunbar, they did grab Reuben Foster BEFORE charges were dropped...[/quote]

Given Snyder's reported predilections, he probably wanted some like minded friends to hang out with...

skinsfan69 05-11-2021 08:58 AM

At one point we Foster, Guice and AP on the team. A child abuser, a women abuser and rapist.

MTK 05-11-2021 09:00 AM

[quote=Scalper;1283555]You mean DAN led draft.[/quote]

He may have had some input, but I think it was Bruce when it came to actually calling the shots in the war room.