Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Maryland Terps Basketball (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=60304)

over the mountain 12-22-2014 12:50 PM

Maryland Terps Basketball

In case you havent noticed, Terps bball is back.

Turgeon has had an unexpectedly rocky road the past 3 seasons and has been something of an enigma to fans. He seemingly brought in highly touted freshmen classes that never seemed to materialize on the scoreboard.

Many "star" players left early and disappointed: see Terrell Stoglin, Seth Allen, Shaquille Cleare.

There were rumors that this was make or break time for Turgeon.

He came into this season armed with the 8th ranked in-coming class including McDonald's all-american point guard Melo Trimble.

How the hell does Turgeon land a mcdonalds all american when we struggle to make the NITs?

The last McDonalds all-american that came to the terps was Mike Jones under gary williams watch and he was servicable in his later years.

Trimble is more than serviceable. Trimble is the real deal in all aspects.

Jake Layman - he is a better version of nik caner-medley. at 6'9" he can D up, he can stroke the 3 or put it on the floor and get to the hoop and finish. He also brings heart and energy to the floor and NBA scouts to the seats.

Dez Wells - a great transfer grab by Turgeon from (xavier? seton hall?). He is the main scorer on this team and will allow Trimble to get rest while he becomes the primary ball handler. Dez has been injured for teh past 4 weeks and trimble's minutes are over 30. Once Dez comes back, trimble can be used a little less.

This team has all the parts to be dominant. I havent even mentioned the european 7 footer, close to 7 ft Dodd, this dude named Smocklyzk who is 6'9" and is a slightly less talented version of layman. there is this guy Nickens or something that just spots up and is automatic from the 3.

This team is just insane. Everybody has a role to play and everyone plays it to perfection.

[url=http://www.umterps.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&CONTENT_ID=1024404]14 Team Cume - Maryland Terrapins Athletics - University of Maryland Terps Official Athletic Site[/url]

^^ current stats

[url=http://www.umterps.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=29700&SPID=120728&SPSID=716397]Men's Basketball - News - Maryland Terrapins Athletics - University of Maryland Terps Official Athletic Site[/url]

^^ terps home page

over the mountain 12-29-2014 03:38 PM

Re: Your 2014-2015 Maryland Terps Basketball

[url=http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595431]Oakland Golden Grizzlies vs. Maryland Terrapins - Recap - December 27, 2014 - ESPN[/url]

terps are now ranked #15 by espn.

Missed the game against oakland the other night but here are the highlights.

terps with a huge game tomorrow night at 5 pm as they take on the Michigan Spartans and open up Big10 play.

im pumped for tomorrows game. huge test.

Hog1 12-29-2014 03:59 PM

maybe they could....school the Skins on this winning thing?

over the mountain 12-30-2014 02:45 PM

[quote=Hog1;1102145]maybe they could....school the Skins on this winning thing?[/quote]

yup .. patience and having a head guy picking out his own players to fit his scheme seems to be working for the terps.

unpopular moves alienating seth allen (top 100 recruit) by bringing in a mc'ds all american PG but the difference is unbelievable.

i think top 100 recruit Cleare transferred as well bc turgeon was bring in big guys to compete for playing time.

big game tonight.

5 pm.

dee vee are it.

BaltimoreSkins 12-31-2014 09:30 AM

Big win on the road in a tough place to play

over the mountain 01-02-2015 12:12 PM

good teams find ways to win bad games.

everyone looked off.

in college bball, when ever a good player has an off and non-aggressive game .. i think they smoked before the game.

at certain points, i didnt think the terps would come back. down 4 with 30 some seconds to go? crazy

another big one this sat at noon. minnesota?

over the mountain 01-07-2015 12:35 PM

big game tonight against the fighting Illini ...

id like to see wells, trimbo and layman have a smooth game. the past 2 games, things have seemed off. layman has disappeared at times. during wells absence, he really stepped up. i know wells is a senior and our 1st look on offense but layman needs to be more assertive.

over the mountain 01-08-2015 12:34 PM

deflating loss.

i question turgeon's coaching in this one.

Layman got 2 fouls 2 min into game. he sat Layman the entire 1st half. despite our offense being off and laymans replacement smoltyk (0-6 fg) looking off.

for large parts of the 1st half he had pack as the primary ball handler. at times he had trimbo, wells and layman on the bench. who is going to handle the ball and run a set?

he needs to get wells the ball in motion and space by running high screens or curls for wells to come off of. a lot like williams designed for dixon.

it seemed like the terps and turgeon took this game for granted and he was trying to rest guys.

we had the superior talent. .. when your down in the 2nd half = press the inferior opponent and make them make mistakes. turn up the pressure.

no low post sets or looks. we didnt really run any set plays. just a bunch of rotating up top 4-5 feet beyond the 3 pt line.

turgeon was horrible last night.

over the mountain 01-09-2015 05:30 PM

another big game this sat at 2:30.

[url=http://espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400595456]Maryland Terrapins vs. Purdue Boilermakers - Preview - January 10, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

Coach Mark Turgeon believes Maryland's first Big Ten defeat might serve as a needed wake-up call.

The No. 11 Terrapins could face another serious challenge Saturday as they try to bounce back against a Purdue team looking for its first 3-0 league home start in four seasons.
Turgeon knew this week's two-game road swing would be difficult but it seemed Maryland (14-2, 2-1) had caught a break when Illinois announced leading scorer Rayvonte Rice would miss some time with a hand injury. However, Illini guard Malcolm Hill stepped up to hit half of his 18 shots and finished with 28 points to help hand the cold-shooting Terrapins a 64-57 loss Wednesday.
With a record that tied the school's best start and riding a seven-game winning streak, Maryland shot worse than 40.0 percent for the second time in three games, finishing at 36.5 despite going 9 of 21 from 3-point range.
"We've been listening to everybody telling us how good we are," Turgeon said. "You don't ever like to lose, but maybe we needed this."
Talented Maryland freshman guard Melo Trimble (16.3 points per game) had a team-high 17 points but dependable seniors Dez Wells (13.9 ppg), Richaud Pack (8.3) and Evan Smotrycz (4.9) combined for 10 on 3-of-21 shooting.
"I love my seniors, but they just didn't have a good night," Turgeon said. "They were pressing."
[B]The Terps could get a boost after announcing 6-foot-9 Ivan Bender was added to the roster this week and will be eligible to play right away. A native of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bender averaged 14.3 points and 9.0 rebounds for KK Split in the Junior Euroleague.
"We are excited to have Ivan join our program," Turgeon said. "He is a terrific young man who will be a great addition to our team."[/B]

--------------------------------------

the terps are adding another talented european big man?

terps do very well with foreign talent.

the 7 foot rookie chekovky looks lost and late against good teams. he looked better early on when we played inferior talent. good move by turgeon to get him minutes early in the season for experience then limit his mins against the reg schedule.

need the terps to step up saturday.

over the mountain 01-12-2015 11:57 AM

good win vs Perdue. 3-1 to start the big 10 on the road is pretty awesome.

the terps still look out of sync but are managing to win with defense and just plain ugliness.

cant wait to see them play on all cylinders. the best is yet to come.

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595456]Maryland Terrapins vs. Purdue Boilermakers - Recap - January 10, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

Chico23231 01-14-2015 09:36 AM

Im just gonna drop this in here, but its awesome to see Coach L in Miami showing why he is a top coach in the country. Great to see Coach K throw off the jacket from the stress with the Hurricanes whipping their ass in Cameron. Talk to me when your team goes into Cameron and wins.

over the mountain 01-14-2015 11:30 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1104743]Im just gonna drop this in here, but its awesome to see Coach L in Miami showing why he is a top coach in the country. Great to see Coach K throw off the jacket from the stress with the Hurricanes whipping their ass in Cameron. [B]Talk to me when your team goes into Cameron and wins[/B].[/quote]

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400587917]Miami (FL) Hurricanes vs. Duke Blue Devils - Recap - January 13, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

i went to the highlights hoping to see coach k throw a hissy fit but they didnt include it. (I hate duke but respect coach k a ton)

but why was the last comment necessary chico? seems a lil sensitive to me. its okay that miami isnt ranked but the terps are no. 12 in the country. just bc the terps are ranked high and your hurricanes arent doesnt mean the they arent an okay or decent team. it doesnt mean people dont like them. just bc one program is a lot better than the other doesnt mean it has to be an "us v them" mentality.

its just that the top 15 national ranking is really hard to make. out of 137 programs, there is a lot of competition.

but good for miami. keep trying my friend.

--------------------------------

preview for tonights game, tip off at 7 pm.

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400595463]Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs. Maryland Terrapins - Preview - January 14, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

i didnt know eddie jordan coached rutgers now.

go terps.

Chico23231 01-14-2015 11:47 AM

not directed at you, just a general statement...I recall the Terps going into Cameron and winning a couple times back in the day.

Maryland is having a good year, just wish it was in the ACC.

over the mountain 01-14-2015 12:16 PM

im digging this big 10 thing.

new teams, seems a lot scrappier of a game.

terps just havent played well against ACC competition for a while now.

i would have liked to see how this current team would have played against ACC.

i heard Wells and turgeon were happy to see Seth Allen and Faust leave bc they were distractions in the locker room trying to be class clowns.

Seth would be laughing in the locker room after a lose saying "i got my 16 and 7". Faust would say "I got my 5 and 2 in 12 mins of play".

i like faust and will give him some benefit of the doubt about not being happy with his mins being cut .. but eff seth allen.

over the mountain 01-16-2015 04:52 PM

I will continue to talk to myself about the Terps.

I know ive said it for about every game so far this year and, lets admit it, there is nothing big about playing rutgers or illinois but .. this time i mean it.

HUGE game tomorrow.

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400595469]Michigan St Spartans vs. Maryland Terrapins - Preview - January 17, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

michigan state? i thought we played wisconsin tomorrow?

anyways, spartans are still a huge test.

tip off at 4 pm apparently ... if you trust ESPN.

Chico23231 01-18-2015 07:37 PM

[url=http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12188612/jim-larranaga-miami-hurricanes-reaches-dying-former-hurricanes-player]Jim Larranaga of Miami Hurricanes reaches out to dying former Hurricanes player - ESPN[/url]

Coach L showing y he is class act. Sux he left mason, but glad he has turned that program around

over the mountain 01-23-2015 11:05 AM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595478]Maryland Terrapins vs. Indiana Hoosiers - Recap - January 22, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

Hoosiers hit 15-22 for 3s. fifteen of twenty-two. unheard of. terps were holding opponents to under 30% before last night.

Terps continue to play inconsistent. I am wondering if it isnt so much inconsistency as much as they are just a good not great team at this point.

Wells is odd to me. He has all the looks of an elite scorer and baller but will routinely not finish plays. He does a great job driving the lane but will miss the floater or driving the lane to collapse the D but then throw the kick-out pass out of bounds ... he has the athleticism to get himself into good positions but doesnt have the talent to finish as much as he should.

Hoosier fans certainly enjoyed the terps loss more than the hoosiers win. If the terps beat them at college park, I dont want to hear any uppity hoosier fans talking about gamemanship or act like youve been there crap.

over the mountain 01-26-2015 11:15 AM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595485]Northwestern Wildcats vs. Maryland Terrapins - Recap - January 25, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

this terp team is just a notch below being a great team. they are what they are at this point. turgeon is not getting the most out of his guys, so frustrating.

where is Dodd? where is our interior D? guys are getting beat off the dribble then there is no one to meet them in the paint.

down by 11 with 4 mins to play, they showed a lot of pride fighting back for the win.

thank goodness turgeon finally put pressure on an inferior opponent to wake his team up. if he had gone to full court press or even a half court trap against Illini we would have won that game.

teams are starting to light it up on the perimeter.

defending high screens - our bigs do a great job jumping out on switchs. i think we run into problems when 2 gaurds have to switch bc of a screen. it seems a guard will take a lazy and wide outside route of the screener leaving the shooter with plenty of room bc the other defender already has switched back to his guy .. but the other terp is not back on his manyet bc he is taking the long route .... take the inside route on screens, force refs to make a call. nickels was horrible last night on perimeter D.

wells made a big time play last night. thank goodness he was able to finish the play.

over the mountain 01-29-2015 12:32 PM

terps v ohio state at 7 tonight on ESPN.

i think ohio state is just outside the 25. they have a very good record for being unranked.

really hope the terps dont fall behind early. it makes watching the rest of the game nerve racking.

over the mountain 01-30-2015 09:47 AM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595490]Maryland Terrapins vs. Ohio State Buckeyes - Recap - January 29, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

ive seen this movie about 8 times now. Terps play an inferior opponent, come out slow and missing decent looks, inferior team makes a few buckets and builds lead, terps make some runs but never finish the job, inferior team pulls away in 2nd half.

turgeon didnt run any pressure D. He needs to speed his players up, get some defensive intensity going and get his players back into the game. His players are not motivated. they come out flat.

He cant wait until he is down before calling full court and half court presses. if we start slow, he needs to call them to get guys going by calling pressure D in the 1st half.

with a few mins left in a blow out, absolutely no need for that terp practice squad player running onto the court and 2 hand pushing that buckeye player in his face. Yes, players were chest bumping and jawing and it was a disappointing game .. i expect he gets suspended for the year.

silver lining - the team has talent and all the pieces, they still have a lot of time to gel and get things right. You want to peak nearing the tourney, not necessarily now.

Chico23231 02-02-2015 09:50 AM

What a choke job by UVA vs Duke Saturday night. blew an 8 point lead last 3 minutes of the game

over the mountain 02-04-2015 11:28 AM

terps v penn state at 8 pm on the big ten network.

over the mountain 02-05-2015 10:47 AM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595501]Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Maryland Terrapins - Recap - February 04, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

terps squeek by lowly Penn State at home 64-58.

in games past, the terps would get good looks but they just wouldnt fall. tonight they were actually falling for the most part, they played with energy and focus .. and they still just barely got by a poor team.

fringe 25 team. no low post presence. Dodd is non-existent and just has horrible luck. Cheovsky didnt even log a min last night. Layman was playing the 4 ....

over the mountain 02-09-2015 11:26 AM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595508]Maryland Terrapins vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Recap - February 08, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

groundhog day.

inferior opponent builds a double digit lead in the first 10 mins, terps play behind, turgeon calls for press D in 2nd half when it is too late which helps cuts lead but terps dont close gap.

turgeon needs to play his two 7 footers, regardless.

Dodd played a few mins, i dont even think chevosky played a minute.

this team is horrible at half court offense. i just dont get it. beginning of the season they were driving and kicking to open 3 pointers or dishing to big men in the post.

turgeon needs to call timeouts sooner bc "letting the players play though it" means the deficit goes from 8 to 18.

turgeon needs to call press defense A LOT MORE. why cant he see that his team plays flat and they cant produce on half court sets .... so press with your superior athleticism, create havoc, create fast play, get all players involved, wear out the opposing team and use our depth.

if he takes dodd out after the opening tip and uses layman or smotryz as our center i will turn the TV off. our strength entering this season was size and depth. rotate the two 7 footers. layman cant defend in the low block, why are we using our players out of place?
playing set basketball is not working for us.

mind boggling coaching right now. he doesnt trust the centers, but you cant just go small for 38 mins.

over the mountain 02-11-2015 05:01 PM

what another disappointing loss.

terps come out slow, miss shots, turn ball over, hoosiers build double digit lead in first 10 mins and coasts to a relatively easy victory.

terps v hoosiers, tonight at 9 pm
------------------------------------

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595513]Indiana Hoosiers vs. Maryland Terrapins - Recap - February 11, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

so glad I was wrong. terps played pretty well overall. they made some shots early, actaully got shot attempts off and didnt turn the ball over or commit an offensive foul .. Dodd played more tha just the first min andhe responded with low post D that the terps have been sorely lacking. he still cant be productive on the offensive end in the paint though.

melo was back to being melo.

a really fun game to watch. terps probably should have lost though with yogi just missing a go-ahead 3.

terps are 6-0 in games decided by 6 pts or less. expect the law of averages to bring that down.

over the mountain 02-20-2015 11:35 AM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595527]Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. Maryland Terrapins - Recap - February 19, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

The terps pulled away a little bit at the end and the huskers made 3 3 pointers in the last min or so to make the score seem a little closer. the terps were down for a little bit in the 2nd half.

every big 10 team seems to play hard against the terps. these teams seem to make more 3s and get bounces.

our centers were non-existent again. Dodd, graham just fumble the ball down low too often to be reliable looks.

this team will not go far in the tourney without a paint presence.

we lose wells next year which will suck.

trimble-nickens-wiley-layman-dodd-chevosky next year.

we have no recruits coming in next year in the top 100. we do have an offer to undeclared 6'10" center Stone who is ranked no. 7 overall. looks like it is btw us and Wisconsin and he is from wisconsin and wisconsin in a top 5 team right now.

over the mountain 02-26-2015 12:23 PM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595535]Wisconsin Badgers vs. Maryland Terrapins - Recap - February 24, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

the terps played well in the win.

court storming was kinda unjustified but its been a long time since we had this kinda of national recognition.

if you are a fringe terps fan and stopped paying attention over the past bad years, give these kids a watch.

over the mountain 03-10-2015 11:54 AM

i give up.

no one cares to talk about top 10 ranked Terps or the Manny v money fight.

Ruhskins 03-10-2015 12:32 PM

[quote=over the mountain;1108777]i give up.

no one cares to talk about top 10 ranked Terps or the Manny v money fight.[/quote]

I will I will! (Talk about Terps).

over the mountain 03-10-2015 04:52 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1108788]I will I will! (Talk about Terps).[/quote]

it should be a really exciting month with the big 10 tourney then march madness. it feels like forever since i was excited about terps bball. it was so frustrating watching the terrell stooglin or nick fausts of the world just folding like lawn chairs.

side note - i think terrell stoglin scored 100 points or something ridiculous in a chinese league game a few weeks ago.

Ruhskins 03-11-2015 01:43 AM

[quote=over the mountain;1108838]it should be a really exciting month with the big 10 tourney then march madness. it feels like forever since i was excited about terps bball. it was so frustrating watching the terrell stooglin or nick fausts of the world just folding like lawn chairs.

side note - i think terrell stoglin scored 100 points or something ridiculous in a chinese league game a few weeks ago.[/quote]

Change of conference seems to have given the Terps a boost. I just hope we have some favorable early match ups in the tourney.

over the mountain 03-11-2015 03:47 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1108912]Change of conference seems to have given the Terps a boost. I just hope we have some favorable early match ups in the tourney.[/quote]

its NW or indy as our first game. i hope we get to play indy and repay them for that loss.

over the mountain 03-13-2015 03:40 PM

[url=http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400784918]Indiana Hoosiers vs. Maryland Terrapins - Preview - March 13, 2015 - ESPN[/url]

Big game tonight.

terps v hoosiers at 6:30 tip in quarterfinals of Big 10 tourney.

I really hope the terps win. When we lost in Indiana the fans really seemed to enjoy the fact that the terps lost more than the hoosiers win.

chanting "nah nah nah nah hey hey goodbye" and "overrated".

of course the terps faithful have no room to complain about another fan base chants but the hoosiers away game was the most obnoxious fan base i saw this year.

i was surprised terps fans didnt give them the same chants when we beat them at home.

Hoosiers will be real hungry as they are on Lunardi's "last 4 in" and need this win to help secure a spot in the big dance. The terps are travelling to chicago and have nothing really to play for except dez wells, who realizes this is it for him, wont let a single second slip away from him.

Chico23231 03-14-2015 04:04 PM

I'm pulling for Maryland in the big ten tourney...lets get this done

Vcu just beat the shit out of Davidson to advance to the a10 finals.

Uva and unc was a great game, too bad for uva but they have had a great season. Coach Bennett should be coach of the year, class act

Chico23231 03-15-2015 02:05 PM

Otm and ru tough loss yesterday...but vcu is holding it down

over the mountain 03-16-2015 10:07 AM

terps seemed real flat and had a lack of interest in second half.

it was like they were told to just not get injured.

Dez:

dez early foul trouble 10 mins into 1st half really made him a non-factor the rest of the game. he just never settled in and when he did touch the ball he forced it.

dez at 6'5" needs to show he can hit the 3 for NBA scouts. real surprised he hasnt been a little selfish over the last 10 games or so to try and showcase his NBA talents. if he stays a slasher he will be an in-betweener. Dez needs to make the tourney about him and his draft stock. take the ball. command respect.

get that 1st round guaranteed money. dez hogging the ball helps him and the terps. terps do not get past 2nd round if wells doesnt take over.

layman:

disappearing man. it seems like turgeon runs some sets for him but he gets the ball a few steps farther than intended or he doesnt make the open 3.

layman needs to assert himself. turgeon has been saying so for a few weeks now in interviews.

melo:

the long nba 3 is nice but please do not make it a habit. there is nothing bad i can say about melo's game.

dodd:

if you could assert yourself as our big man we could have had a real chance at being something really really special. the terps will never get past KU w/out a big man. they have none.

terps are just a slightly flawed team. they are 1 dominant/good big man away from being legit contenders. sadly, next year we will not have dez wells and who knows what we will look like next year.

really hope this top 10 prospect diamond stone picks us over wisconsin. 6'10" supposed stud.

over the mountain 03-22-2015 11:55 AM

terps game always start the same.

Dodd wins tip off.

terps have possession.

Dodd in some way is part of a turnover (normally bc someone tried dishing him the ball too hot when he is under the rim).

if vegas takes bets on who wins the tip, you could win a zillion dollars. dodd will win the tip. he has lost exactly one tip off all year (against MSU).

Wells needs to touch the ball every possession. That game against Valpo was frustrating. why is dodd and smotryzk taking all the shots?

every possession should be wells on a clear out iso or wells given the ball at the elbow and let him dish or drive.

wells needs to take over.

big rivalry game tonight.

terps v WVU at 8:40.

DynamiteRave 03-22-2015 01:09 PM

Terps better win or else my bracket is seriously f'ed.

over the mountain 03-22-2015 01:52 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1109976]Terps better win or else my bracket is seriously f'ed.[/quote]

the terps will win by 5 or less.

they will be down by 10 or more pts half way through the first half but tie game at half. they will again go down by 6-8 pts half way through 2nd half but will close the game out at the free throw line for the close win.

melo will go 3-5 on nba range 3s. its his thing now. he could get a closer look but he settles for these unnecessarily long 3s.

im at work trying to prep for all day depos tomorrow and i cant think anything but terps bball at 840. this sucks.

over the mountain 03-23-2015 04:20 PM

well I was about wrong as you can get.

Wells absolutely disappeared the past 2 games. did the stage get to him?
feel bad for him. he cost himself a good bit of money if he bounced himself from being a late 1st round pick.

trimble ... lots of jawwing from both sides, trimble hits a big shot to make it a 3 pt game, does some jawwing then he gets that moving screen on the next play.

WVU plays like seattle D did 2 years ago. the refs arent going to call everything and eventually the refs will adjust to WVU handys play and stop calling hand fouls.

sad and odd ending to a great season. inconsistent play all season.

lock this up?