Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64797)

SkinzWin 01-18-2021 09:47 AM

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

[quote=Warthog;1274425]Watson may be available. The question is whether the team will go “all in” with a monster trade package to get him. The bidding will be high, but it’s similar to Brees coming to New Orleans. He propels your team to the top for the rest of his career. He’s worth WHATEVER the cost.

First, except for Stafford, I do not think the WFT will go for ANY QB over 30. Rivera is trying to set his QB for the next 5 years, not finding some old guy with a season or two left (that means Alex Smith is out also).

Resigning Heinicke is important. He’s a GREAT #2 and he can compete for the #1 if the QB the WFT picks is not ready for prime time.

Alex Smith is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE as a backup. He may opt in for “one more season” but the Bucs showed how to beat him - blitz him early and often, forcing him to beat you with his feet - which will be better next season, but NOT to the level needed in the NFL today. You need a QB who can run 40-70 yds a game and Smith doesn’t have that anymore.

Allen is also not the future.

The new GM and Rivera may simply draft the best QB left at #19 and let him compete with Taylor Heinickle.

Other draft picks will be OL, WR, TE with FA going toward a monster WR to compliment MacLaurin, LB ( maybe more than one), OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

As much as I want to trade for Watson I think the realistic feasibility of it is non-existent. Media is reporting that multiple teams have been calling the Texans to inquire about his availability even though no one in the Texans organization have publicly stated he’s available for trade. With the #19 pick and no young QB to offer in a trade scenario, we just aren’t going to have the same trade capital to compete with other teams unless we mortgage the distant future (and that’s not going to happen). We will wind up getting a mid tier FA veteran QB for a modest price tag (just like Ron’s M.O. was this past off season).

SCRedskinsFan 01-18-2021 10:35 AM

[quote=SkinzWin;1274428]As much as I want to trade for Watson I think the realistic feasibility of it is non-existent. Media is reporting that multiple teams have been calling the Texans to inquire about his availability even though no one in the Texans organization have publicly stated he’s available for trade. With the #19 pick and no young QB to offer in a trade scenario, we just aren’t going to have the same trade capital to compete with other teams unless we mortgage the distant future (and that’s not going to happen). We will wind up getting a mid tier FA veteran QB for a modest price tag (just like Ron’s M.O. was this past off season).[/quote]

Don’t forget RR took a swing for the fence trying to sign Amari Cooper. So much for his MO in the past off season... I’m thinking that a blockbuster deal for a feature QB with at least 5 years of prime time left is not automatically off the table.

AnonEmouse 01-18-2021 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=SCRedskinsFan;1274431]Don’t forget RR took a swing for the fence trying to sign Amari Cooper. So much for his MO in the past off season... I’m thinking that a blockbuster deal for a feature QB with at least 5 years of prime time left is not automatically off the table.[/QUOTE]

That was a FA signing, not a trade, and we had the cap to do it. We were not faced with giving up a large part of our draft to sign Cooper.

I'm also inclined to think part of why RR did that was to pressure the Cowboys to offer him a bigger deal than they wanted to.

SunnySide 01-18-2021 11:08 AM

23M .. is reportedly what we offered in guaranteed money vs cowboys 60M guaranteed money.

[url]https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/3/17/21183020/redskins-significantly-outbid-cowboys-for-amari-cooper-he-resigned-w-dallas-for-5-years-100-million[/url]

If true .. we never really tried to sign Cooper.

Monkeydad 01-18-2021 11:16 AM

[quote=skinsnut;1274309]Wondering if it would be worth offering 2 of our dline for Watson. We have the depth to handle that. Perhaps we even keep our 1st that way. Thoughts?[/quote]

Hell no to 2. That's the strength of our team.

If we keep this defense intact and fill the couple of weak points, the D alone will put us in contention every year no matter how crappy the offense is.

The price to get Watson is going to be counterproductive, I'd rather get Stafford and an elite WR instead of Watson if we're moving on from Alex.

SkinzWin 01-18-2021 12:36 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1274444]Hell no to 2. That's the strength of our team.

If we keep this defense intact and fill the couple of weak points, the D alone will put us in contention every year no matter how crappy the offense is.

The price to get Watson is going to be counterproductive, I'd rather get Stafford and an elite WR instead of Watson if we're moving on from Alex.[/quote]

I agree as enticing was Watson sounds, I would be just as happy with Stafford and being able to keep more draft capital.

skinsfaninok 01-18-2021 01:23 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1274444]Hell no to 2. That's the strength of our team.

The price to get Watson is going to be counterproductive, I'd rather get Stafford and an elite WR instead of Watson if we're moving on from Alex.[/quote]

The Bears said that too and look what happened..

Offense over defense every day

AnonEmouse 01-18-2021 04:14 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1274461]The Bears said that too and look what happened..

Offense over defense every day[/quote]

The Bears problem is they are/were crap at assessing good QB's. 2017 wasn't a great draft for QB, but they took Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson (now that would be a great double act!). If they had taken either of them, with that defense and the weapons they have, they'd likely have been going deep into the playoffs the last 2-3 years.

sdskinsfan2001 01-18-2021 05:43 PM

[quote=AnonEmouse;1274467]The Bears problem is they are/were crap at assessing good QB's. 2017 wasn't a great draft for QB, but they took Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson (now that would be a great double act!). If they had taken either of them, with that defense and the weapons they have, they'd likely have been going deep into the playoffs the last 2-3 years.[/quote]

Man, being a Bears fan is gonna be torture for the next 10 or so years, with that info just sitting there. And didn't they trade up to get him?

AnonEmouse 01-18-2021 06:34 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1274472]Man, being a Bears fan is gonna be torture for the next 10 or so years, with that info just sitting there. And didn't they trade up to get him?[/quote]

Well as they haven't won a SB in 35 years, what's another 10...

AnonEmouse 01-18-2021 06:37 PM

RG3 is available again.

Hmm, nah.

Warthog 01-19-2021 09:28 AM

So are most of you saying Stafford over Watson? Watson is younger and has more upside. Getting either QB jets us into 10+ games won per season. Our defense went from the cellar in 2019 to a #4 rated defense this year. We can move even HIGHER with the addition of a couple of FA this off-season (LB, DB) and resign Allen and Payne. Sweat & Young will be even better next year!

It’s the offense that needs to improve. We draft heavily for the left side of the OL (OT, OG); we bring on a very good or better FA - WR burner to play oppose MacLaurin. We hire a FA TE. With WATSON or STAFFORD this offense goes from the bottom into the top 10 instantly.

We offer our #1 this season AND the #1 AND #2 next year. It’s going to take that much to get either of these elite QB. We also have Heinicke as a GREAT backup QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnonEmouse 01-19-2021 11:54 AM

If the Dolphins want to pull the trigger on the suggested trade of picks plus Tua, they have greater capitol, as do other teams closer to the #1 pick. I have to think that we'd have to offer more than 2 1's and a 2, not least because our draft position would likely be worse than 19th next year too.

Ruhskins 01-19-2021 12:02 PM

[quote=Warthog;1274523]So are most of you saying Stafford over Watson? Watson is younger and has more upside. Getting either QB jets us into 10+ games won per season. Our defense went from the cellar in 2019 to a #4 rated defense this year. We can move even HIGHER with the addition of a couple of FA this off-season (LB, DB) and resign Allen and Payne. Sweat & Young will be even better next year!

It’s the offense that needs to improve. We draft heavily for the left side of the OL (OT, OG); we bring on a very good or better FA - WR burner to play oppose MacLaurin. We hire a FA TE. With WATSON or STAFFORD this offense goes from the bottom into the top 10 instantly.

We offer our #1 this season AND the #1 AND #2 next year. It’s going to take that much to get either of these elite QB. We also have Heinicke as a GREAT backup QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I think Stafford is the QB that is more likely to be available. Who knows what will happen with Watson.

Chico23231 01-19-2021 12:12 PM

Watson isn’t coming here available if not. We can’t put together an attractive enough package versus Miami or Jets. Also think teams like San Fran or Carolina would put together better deals.