Thread: Net Neutrality
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #49
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Net Neutrality

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
As a consumer, I haven't seen any real choice. What I've seen are a lot of "gotchas" with each company that provides Pay TV and internet service. For me, it really comes down to only one choice for internet. I can choose different sources for TV, or choose no source at all, but then, the choosing no source at all usually means I supplement with HULU or NETFLIX, which brings me back to the point earlier. If Spectrum forces you to use their streaming app, then they may shut off access to Hulu and Netflix, or either charge me more to use those apps on top of the monthly charge with those companies. After awhile, they really force you back on their own products, which is what a lot of us in the tech biz fear will happen, because we've seen it over and over again.
so you don't think you have a choice in how you overnight a package or which cell phone company you go with.

Competition doesn't work in milliseconds, or hours. AOL was a dominant ISP, it isn't anymore. maybe Spectrum offers a better HULU, or maybe enough people become a market place for an ISP that will offer HULU.

If we can keep the regulations down for 6 years, let's see what happens. I am confident that a free market for ISP's would result in far better options then the dismal picture you paint, but, no it is true that tomorrow there won't be miniISP's knocking at your door ready to tear you away from Spectrum. Although with wifi, and localized 5g networks coming online you may see more options sooner than you think.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.03883 seconds with 10 queries