Message board 101

Playbook

Old 10-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: Message board 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Being an asshole has it's place though (said the asshole).

But seriously, if people are cluttering the boards with duplicate threads or starting ridiculous threads, why wait for the mods? There should be a degree of vigilance, everyone should feel free to jump on someone for being a retard. There's an unspoken social aspect to this site, one where nobody wants to feel like the new kid at school who got made fun of for his haircut. In my opinion, mocking definitely has it's place. While the mods can lay down the law, we as members can still reinforce the message. We may not be able to ban or give official reprimands, but we can make people feel silly, that's for darn sure. It's a big site, especially during the season. If you see someone being a retard by starting dup threads or writing illegibly, let them know it. This also sends the message to the general public that we as members stand behind the mods; nobody likes dup threads.

Now, I'm NOT advocating personal attacks. I'm not saying jump all over their religious beliefs or something. Just give 'em what's coming to them. You want to act like a retard, you get treated like a retard. It's that simple.

So if people criticize the mods for being Nazi's, just release the hounds on 'em. The mods, as site administration, can't really come down on idiots the way they like to. When someone starts a dup thread, I get a sense that's almost palpable that Matty is THIS CLOSE to writing a post that says "LOOK AROUND BEFORE YOU POST, RETARD." But he can't do that, so he just links to the other thread and locks it. But believe me, he wants to say it. So, let a non-mod say it for him. He can live vicariously through us.

Don't mean to put words in your mouth, Matty, but that's the way I see it.
LOL

Yep, pretty much sums it up.

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #32
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Keep in mind, the mods speak to offenders privately and we keep a record of who the repeat offenders are. And amongst us we discuss the site and its troublemakers on a nearly daily basis.
So would you prefer that us members not mock people for doing something like creating dup threads or writing like a kindergartner?

I'll do whatever you want, just figured that there's a social aspect involved when a group comes down on somebody. Plus I figured it's a way for us members to reinforce your message.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #33
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
So would you prefer that us members not mock people for doing something like creating dup threads or writing like a kindergartner?

I'll do whatever you want, just figured that there's a social aspect involved when a group comes down on somebody. Plus I figured it's a way for us members to reinforce your message.
I think a.) the perception that we just lock a thread and move on is inaccurate and b.) there's a really fine line here when someone starts to mock another because the "victim" becomes defensive and problems start to escalate

There's no right answer I suppose. I think the key is to always remember you should "attack the post, not the poster"
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #34
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I think a.) the perception that we just lock a thread and move on is inaccurate and b.) there's a really fine line here when someone starts to mock another because the "victim" becomes defensive and problems start to escalate

There's no right answer I suppose. I think the key is to always remember you should "attack the post, not the poster"
The problem is people are bound to take things the wrong way no matter what you do.

Personally I'm getting tired of tip toeing around certain people. I've found that some people aren't worth saving, and lately I've been booting people left and right it seems. We're cleaning house you could say, because frankly it's not worth letting a few morons ruin things for everyone else.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #35
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

Fair enough, I can do that. I'll make sure I refer to the thread or the post as retarded, rather than saying the person who wrote it is retarded.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #36
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Fair enough, I can do that. I'll make sure I refer to the thread or the post as retarded, rather than saying the person who wrote it is retarded.
You should have been a lawyer.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:29 PM   #37
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Hate the sin, not the sinner, eh?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
The problem is people are bound to take things the wrong way no matter what you do.

Personally I'm getting tired of tip toeing around certain people. I've found that some people aren't worth saving, and lately I've been booting people left and right it seems. We're cleaning house you could say, because frankly it's not worth letting a few morons ruin things for everyone else.
True, true. We are taking a harder stance on many people. Like you say, some people aren't worth saving.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #39
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:

About time. Thanks for this thread/post. Lately I've been wanting to avoid this site instead of looking forward to logging on...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM   #40
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:

And there were quite a few "morons" on the thread re: Bill Belichick's apparent lack of class this past weekend. It became personal with some and after awhile I just bailed out to just read some of the insane and immoral comments. It was like reading some weird fiction novel or something. Anyway, thanks for doing the dirty work for the rest of us that sincerely enjoy this site.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #41
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Being an asshole has it's place though (said the asshole).

But seriously, if people are cluttering the boards with duplicate threads or starting ridiculous threads, why wait for the mods? There should be a degree of vigilance, everyone should feel free to jump on someone for being a retard. There's an unspoken social aspect to this site, one where nobody wants to feel like the new kid at school who got made fun of for his haircut. In my opinion, mocking definitely has it's place. While the mods can lay down the law, we as members can still reinforce the message. We may not be able to ban or give official reprimands, but we can make people feel silly, that's for darn sure. It's a big site, especially during the season. If you see someone being a retard by starting dup threads or writing illegibly, let them know it. This also sends the message to the general public that we as members stand behind the mods; nobody likes dup threads.

Now, I'm NOT advocating personal attacks. I'm not saying jump all over their religious beliefs or something. Just give 'em what's coming to them. You want to act like a retard, you get treated like a retard. It's that simple.

So if people criticize the mods for being Nazi's, just release the hounds on 'em. The mods, as site administration, can't really come down on idiots the way they like to. When someone starts a dup thread, I get a sense that's almost palpable that Matty is THIS CLOSE to writing a post that says "LOOK AROUND BEFORE YOU POST, RETARD." But he can't do that, so he just links to the other thread and locks it. But believe me, he wants to say it. So, let a non-mod say it for him. He can live vicariously through us.

Don't mean to put words in your mouth, Matty, but that's the way I see it.
Sometimes I think that the chance to mock complete strangers is the only reason I come here on a regular basis.

I like the football talk too. But nothing beats laying down a good zinger on some tool's new thread.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #42
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
True, true. We are taking a harder stance on many people. Like you say, some people aren't worth saving.
Is there any chance I could trade, say, New Thread privileges for one month in exchange for a peek at the list of people on the shit list?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #43
over the mountain
Playmaker

question - i got benched a few months ago for being sarcastic although it wasnt over-the-top obvious sarcastic. so how do i get unbenched?

to get a permament bench for 1 post out of a few hundred is alil unfair and compels me to join the jerk side of the force.

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #44
12thMan
MVP

LOL....OTM how does that pine feel?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
question - i got benched a few months ago for being sarcastic although it wasnt over-the-top obvious sarcastic. so how do i get unbenched?

to get a permament bench for 1 post out of a few hundred is alil unfair and compels me to join the jerk side of the force.

go skins!
You're back on the practice squad.

Now someone give him negative rep points for rehashing an old thread and complaining about rep points (j/k)