Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #46
DrFaust
Camp Scrub

Re: Why I feel there is reason for concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
16-21 The nine seasons he went to the playoffs.
0-4 for the 82 Super Bowl season.
1-3 for the 91 Super Bowl season.
3-1 (1988) & 3-2 (2004) the two losing seasons he had.

I couldn't find stats for the 83 or 87 Super Bowl years.
Thanks for the stats.

It would be nice to have those stats for 83 and 87. Without them, it is hard to say that Gibbs' preseason record doesn't matter. But if you just want to go to the playoffs, then we have nothing to worry about. If you want to win the Superbowl, then there might be reason for concern.
DrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #47
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I don't think anyone here is saying that preseason football is meaningless. What's meaningless are the records and the knee-jerk reactions that it causes. From a superficial standpoint, going 0-4 during the preseason is cause for concern. If you delve deeper into the scenarios, situations, play calling, players utilized, etc etc etc etc etc etc, you start to realize that the only meaningful things gained from preseason football in most cases are the case by case player evlauations that are being made.
cpayne speaking the truth as always, preach on brother!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #48
derrickskins
Camp Scrub

My concern is that Gibbs started camp late because 98% of the playes particpated in all offseason OTA's. Some players were at Redskins Park every day. You play as you practice and preseason games are basically practices. There is a very legitime reason for concern, and if you aren't concerned now, you don't know football. As badly as this team is playing now, anyone who dismisses this as preseason vanilla football will be the same ones reading the Post Tuesday morning going, "How did they lose so badly to Minnesota?" You can't just flip a switch, or game plan crisp playing. I agree with the observation that every other NFC East team's first team looks dominant. Each team has gone right down the field and scored. I will point out one very, very positive thing, not too many penalites.
derrickskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #49
firstdown
Living Legend

Just for a good example remember how bad Big Ben played last year in preseason and all the int's. he threw. Pits looke terrible last year in preseason and alot of people where saying that Ben was now feeling the effects and speed of the NFL. We all know what the out come of that was. Look at the other teams that have not won a preseason game colts, tenn., buf., pits., kc., and us most all made the playoffs.I think certain teams and coaches approach preseason differently. Yes I have some concerns but until we see them on Sept 11th its just to hard to tell what kind of team we have.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #50
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickskins View Post
There is a very legitime reason for concern, and if you aren't concerned now, you don't know football.
That is an ignorant statement.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #51
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickskins View Post
My concern is that Gibbs started camp late because 98% of the playes particpated in all offseason OTA's. Some players were at Redskins Park every day. You play as you practice and preseason games are basically practices. There is a very legitime reason for concern, and if you aren't concerned now, you don't know football. As badly as this team is playing now, anyone who dismisses this as preseason vanilla football will be the same ones reading the Post Tuesday morning going, "How did they lose so badly to Minnesota?" You can't just flip a switch, or game plan crisp playing. I agree with the observation that every other NFC East team's first team looks dominant. Each team has gone right down the field and scored. I will point out one very, very positive thing, not too many penalites.
Well I guess Gibbs and company have no idea what they're doing then. That's basically what you're saying.

We started camp late last year, and we didn't look all that great in the preseason either.

11 wins later how much did that matter?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:34 AM   #52
DrFaust
Camp Scrub

Quote:
I don't think anyone here is saying that preseason football is meaningless.
You're right. I don't get that feeling. I just thought it was an interesting quote.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #53
PSUSkinsFan21
The Starter

Just to clarify, I could care less if the Redskins as a franchise never win another preseason game for the rest of their existence. I put no stock in preseason records because in 3 of the 4 games starters don't even play for over half of the game. My concern comes from what I've seen in terms of execution, and comparing how much rustier the Skins look right now than the rest of the NFC East. I guess it's more the competition that worries me because they look like they are all a step ahead of us right now in being ready for the regular season.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #54
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Exactly PSU. My fear doesn't come from lack of wins. It comes from the poor execution we've had before. A more accurate stat would be how did the Redskins starting teams play in those preseason games?

The wins in the preseason are meaningless, the play isn't.

I completely agree with PSU!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #55
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Well I guess Gibbs and company have no idea what they're doing then. That's basically what you're saying.
Well I guess gibbs and company are infallible and know everything in a league full of question marks. That's basically what you're saying.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #56
cpayne5
Playmaker

Since I know how much you love boolean logic, this is just for you, Daseal!

GibbsandCO.knowledge > Daseal.knowledge && GibbsandCO.KnowEverything != true

I think it sums it up nicely.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #57
derrickskins
Camp Scrub

Excellent clarification. The wins don't mean SQUAT in preseason. The records don't mean SQUAT in preseason. How you first unit plays the two series against the opponents first unit is what it's all about and our first unit offense (and last week defense) has me very concerned. There is no good execution of nay play. Aren't vanilla plays easier to execute?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #58
derrickskins
Camp Scrub

Excellent clarification. The wins don't mean SQUAT in preseason. The records don't mean SQUAT in preseason. How you first unit plays the two series against the opponents first unit is what it's all about and our first unit offense (and last week defense) has me very concerned. There is no good execution of nay play. Aren't vanilla plays easier to execute?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #59
DrFaust
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
The wins in the preseason are meaningless...
I agree with you, unless we're talking about winning the Superbowl. Historically, there is a correllation between winning preseason records and winning Superbowls.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #60
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Alright guys, I'm not that concerned yet. I'm not very concerned at all. Does anyone know what our preseason record is the years we won the super bowl. I don't think we ever finished better than 1-3. The offense is going to be spectacular this year. Remember we have yet to see motion, yet to see CP, Moss, Lolyd, Cooley, and Antwan on the field at the same time for more than one play, and also remember that we don't want to reveal anything about our new offense. Just think how hard it is going to be for Minnesota's defense and Dallas's defense to gameplan for our offense. I think we are giving ourselves an advantage when the season starts. Hail to the REDSKINS!!!