2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #196
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: 2022 Commanders Training Camp discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I never said they didn't draft them in the 3rd round. I said if skinsfan69 were a GM I wouldn't draft any...lol. But I am obviously not an NFL GM or coach.

Shanahan's have had a lot of success w/ backs that were taken late... Mike Anderson, Terrell Davis, Arian Foster, Alfred Morris, Olandis Gary to name a few..
You said that you used the Shanahans as an example when it came to running backs, and would never take one in the first 3 rounds of a draft.

I took that as you saying the Shanahans never drafted RBs in the first three rounds.

Anyway, as with all draft picks, if they turn out to be productive NFL starters, or even better - game changing superstars, I don't think it matters much where they were picked.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #197
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Maurice Clarett, Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis, Detron Smith
Wasn't Alfred Morris a 3rd rounder?
Old 08-18-2022, 02:02 PM   #198
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
Wasn't Alfred Morris a 3rd rounder?
6th
Old 08-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #199
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
6th
Drat!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #200
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

JDR was very poised and parsimonious with his words in his first press conf since the "dust up" fine. Which is good.
He didn't take any bait regarding the issue. Had "nothing to add". Asked about his Twitter account suppression, he replied "personal choice". That was exactly what he needed to do IMO. Shut up, move on, let's talk ball.

One thing I thought was interesting was, in his reply about the firing of the previous DL coach, "I'd have to defer to Coach [...] I think he spelled that out with you guys, I have nothing to add. [...] Coach has a good sense of what he wants to do, and our job as STAFF MEMBERS is to make it come to life [...]".
I guess technically anybody underneath the Head Coach can be referred to as "coaching staff" but you don't hear a Defensive Coordinator talk about himself as a "staff member". Not trying to read too much into it, but the whole thing sounded like he was actively trying to build this image that he is a mere soldier following Commander Ron's orders. I guess that's a good thing, but with what we know about Jack's personality, you can't help but wonder how long he's going to quietly enjoy this low tone Private Jack's role.

Also, when asked about what he liked about the new DL coach, coach Z, he didn't exactly sound overly excited, and the thing he kept saying was show well "the guys" were responding to him. It really felt like this was a decision the players asked for and Ron made, but not something JDR was really consulted about.

Not trying to find drama where there's maybe nothing at all. But with a lot of us feeling like it's a do or die year for Jack, his relationship with Ron is something to keep an eye on.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2022, 09:52 PM   #201
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I still question it. Could have got a RB in the later rounds that can do the same things that BR can do. He is basically a one cut and go type of runner. Nothing fancy, he's going to move the chains but he isn't a home run hitter. He isn't special catching it out of the backfield or great in space. I just think this organization is obsessed with Bama players. It's lazy scouting imo.

I used the Shanahans as an example when it came to running backs. I would never take one in the first 3 rounds of a draft. They have had so many no name runners that got a 1,000 yards.
You’re too dazzled by the measurables.
Give me a RB with vision.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:19 AM   #202
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
JDR was very poised and parsimonious with his words in his first press conf since the "dust up" fine. Which is good.
He didn't take any bait regarding the issue. Had "nothing to add". Asked about his Twitter account suppression, he replied "personal choice". That was exactly what he needed to do IMO. Shut up, move on, let's talk ball.

One thing I thought was interesting was, in his reply about the firing of the previous DL coach, "I'd have to defer to Coach [...] I think he spelled that out with you guys, I have nothing to add. [...] Coach has a good sense of what he wants to do, and our job as STAFF MEMBERS is to make it come to life [...]".
I guess technically anybody underneath the Head Coach can be referred to as "coaching staff" but you don't hear a Defensive Coordinator talk about himself as a "staff member". Not trying to read too much into it, but the whole thing sounded like he was actively trying to build this image that he is a mere soldier following Commander Ron's orders. I guess that's a good thing, but with what we know about Jack's personality, you can't help but wonder how long he's going to quietly enjoy this low tone Private Jack's role.

Also, when asked about what he liked about the new DL coach, coach Z, he didn't exactly sound overly excited, and the thing he kept saying was show well "the guys" were responding to him. It really felt like this was a decision the players asked for and Ron made, but not something JDR was really consulted about.

Not trying to find drama where there's maybe nothing at all. But with a lot of us feeling like it's a do or die year for Jack, his relationship with Ron is something to keep an eye on.

This is something that I've been wondering about recently.

JDR has gone from having good to great defences everywhere he's been to having middle of the pack to poor defences while here.

Not being able to do what he wants to do would certainly be one explanation.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #203
GridIron26
Playmaker

JDR improved the defense in his first year here, last year was mixed results although the defense started to play better toward the end of the season. I believe this year is JDR's last chance to prove himself.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:00 AM   #204
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

They were a top 5 defense two years ago. Yeah they played against some backup QBs, but they were still top 5, and they looked much better than before he got there. That says something. Last year they were riddled with injuries, and devastated by COVID down the stretch. No team's depth would have overcome that.

I agree though, there has to be a significant turnaround this year - like top 15 - for him to keep his job.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #205
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
This is something that I've been wondering about recently.

JDR has gone from having good to great defences everywhere he's been to having middle of the pack to poor defences while here.

Not being able to do what he wants to do would certainly be one explanation.
I don't know if it's JDR not being able to do what he wants, or players not being on synch with what coaches tell them to do, or a mix of both.
But there's definitely something off, the defense has not been performing too its roster, nor coaching staff, talent level, let's see if they can fix it (and we all know winning fixes anything, including broken relationships)

Old 08-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #206
SunnySide
Playmaker

My fan impression on the outside looking in was that RR gave JDR a lot of autonomy running the D. Also got the impression that JDR philosophy going into last season was get pressure rushing 4 or 5 (since we have studs up front) and play base nickel. Which I think made a lot of sense given the roster but it just didnt work w our LB corps getting worked on 3rd and passing plays.

Perhaps JDR was bit to slow to give up on the rush 4 approach but the thought process was there imo.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #207
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Linebacker is so important it doesn’t really matter what your scheme is. Without good linebacker play it probably will not work very well.
I think I am still stunned it wasn’t addressed but D line was, all because we let Settle walk. Cannot make sense of that still.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:44 AM   #208
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I think it is personal.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #209
EdmundDorf
The Starter

At least some of the position coaches are RR guys which must make it difficult for JDR to have any authority, it was RR choice to replace Mills so you have to wonder how much control JDR has other than in game play calling. And as for the personnel he has, it is up to RR and the FO to find the LBs, so again it is difficult to know whether JDR is just being told to work with what he is being given or whether he is OK with the players he has
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #210
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

For all we know, JDR recommended that Mills go. He was never a JDR guy anyway, so that scenario makes the most sense. I think we're making too much out of a press conference where JDR rightfully referred to himself as a "staff member". That is after all, what he is - a member of the coaching staff.