Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #151
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Pre Draft Thread 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Wow if that happens.

I kinda like sitting at 19 and waiting for a WR, T or LB to drop to us ... but Riverboat Ron said there are no rebuilds in this league anymore, hes here to win. Not sure how trading 2-3 1st rounders for a QB to sit a year helps win now but In Ron I Trust.
Albert Breer is speculating that it will not happen, unless it is a short move up, if a QB falls past the #10 pick

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/07/nf...ngton-dolphins
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #152
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Interesting speculation

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...artner=ya4nbcs

The first three picks in the draft belong to the Jaguars, Jets and 49ers -- in that order. All three teams are expected to take quarterbacks with those picks, with Clemson's Trevor Lawrence expected to go first and BYU's Zach Wilson to follow. Who San Francisco takes at third remains uncertain, but signs are pointing towards Alabama's Mac Jones.

With this being the case, the draft truly begins at the fourth pick, one that currently belongs to the Falcons. However, reports surfaced yesterday that Atlanta is willing to move back from the pick, should a QB-needy team like Washington want to trade up for that selection.

Lombardi doesn't think Washington will strike a deal with Atlanta right away. He believes the asking price is too high for what Washington is willing to pay.

"They're going to wait for the draft. And, if Trey Lance starts to slide, they're going to go get his ass," Lombardi said. "They're gonna go get his ass. 'We're going to react to what happens in front of us.' He's not lying. Ron [Rivera] is just being totally honest."

But, if Lance makes it past the fourth pick in the draft - by Atlanta or whatever team trades up into that spot - the analyst thinks Washington could make a move.

"I think they want Trey Lance. I think they're willing to go get him. I think they want to do it in a way to where they can minimize their cost," Lombardi said. "And so the only way you can do that is get on the clock and wait for that draft to start and wait for who goes four, who goes five, who's at six. Maybe I can get to six and they'll be willing to move down [to 19] and I'll give them next year's [first-round pick] and yada yada yah. And move on that way."

If Washington were to select Lance, he would not be put into action right away, especially after adding Fitzpatrick in free agency.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #153
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Trading up to number 4 is too risky unless you love all 4 of the top guys. I still think the 9ers take Lance.
We'd have to wait until after SF picks.

If they take Lance, we're at 4 with a choice between Fields and Jones, neither are worth a #4 pick.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #154
Ohioskins
Special Teams

Monkeydad, you are saying a guy who has played essentially against Division 2 competition,and then sat out this past year is worth the Number 4 pick but the QB who directed the destruction of Clemson in the Nation Championship semi Final (against Trevor Lawrence) is not worth the Number 4 pick? Are you friggin kidding me?
Ohioskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #155
Ohioskins
Special Teams

Of the QB's in this draft, Jones and Lance are the most likely busts.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #156
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
Monkeydad, you are saying a guy who has played essentially against Division 2 competition,and then sat out this past year is worth the Number 4 pick but the QB who directed the destruction of Clemson in the Nation Championship semi Final (against Trevor Lawrence) is not worth the Number 4 pick? Are you friggin kidding me?

Fields' career will look a lot iike Haskins', and every other bust OSU QB.

When you play with WRs the caliber of McLaurin and Samuel...and 1st round talent all over the offense, against the likes of Akron, Cincinnti, Rutgers, Indiana and the rest of miserable Big 10 conference...you look good.

Same can be said for Mac Jones. Just playing for Alabama pads his stats.

Between the two, I'd take Jones though. Ohio State has a LONG history of not being able to produce pro QBs. We just learned that lesson. We'd be fools to take another OSU quarterback after what we just went through.

That same QB that beat Clemson got destroyed by Alabama if you want to bring that up.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #157
Ruhskins
Living Legend

QB needy teams between #4 and #18:

- Atlanta (#4): given that they are willing to move out of the #4 spot, I would say they may not be THAT desperate to get a QB.

- Detroit (#7): I honestly feel like Detroit is going to tank this upcoming season and get their QB in 2022.

- Carolina (#8): Darnold didn't cost them much, so they could go after someone here. But they could also go for talent.

- Denver (#9): They don't seem to be that happy with Lock, but they could potentially give him another year.

- New England (#15): If Lance and Fields are available, one of them would be picked up here by NE. If Washington really likes one of them, they'd need to get ahead of NE to draft one them. I think the Cowpukes (#10), Gmen (#11), and Philly (#12) will probably want to pick up a player with their picks. But the Chargers (#13) and Minnesota (#14) could be potential trade partners.

- Raiders (#17): Gruden could go crazy and draft a QB if Lance or Fields are available.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #158
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

I hope this is a bunch of smoke. And that we don't trade up for either Trey Lance or Mac Jones (or anybody for that matter).

Give me Kellen Mond later, and let him learn from Fitzmagic, being ready in his second year.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #159
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post

Fields' career will look a lot iike Haskins', and every other bust OSU QB.

When you play with WRs the caliber of McLaurin and Samuel...and 1st round talent all over the offense, against the likes of Akron, Cincinnti, Rutgers, Indiana and the rest of miserable Big 10 conference...you look good.

Same can be said for Mac Jones. Just playing for Alabama pads his stats.

Between the two, I'd take Jones though. Ohio State has a LONG history of not being able to produce pro QBs. We just learned that lesson. We'd be fools to take another OSU quarterback after what we just went through.

That same QB that beat Clemson got destroyed by Alabama if you want to bring that up.
I don't think you can judge the player by the school he goes to. There is so much more that goes into it than the school, and it's almost all individual-based. Talent, football IQ, work ethic, coachability, leadership, etc...

I do think the competition they play against matters somewhat in the evaluation process, but it's not a game changer; and if anything having a lot of talent around a QB puts more pressure on them to perform.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #160
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Yeah as it is in the having to be with teamwork, slowly working way to be a leader. As well as coaching and IQ. Not just in the talent.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:45 PM   #161
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
You don't mortgage the future. Half the first round QBs will be busts. Some lower rated QBs will be better than the busts, we have to find one of those, if not this year, then next or year after. We have too many holes to trade up. Incredibly stupid move, even if we get Jones or whoever.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #162
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I don't think you can judge the player by the school he goes to. There is so much more that goes into it than the school, and it's almost all individual-based. Talent, football IQ, work ethic, coachability, leadership, etc...

I do think the competition they play against matters somewhat in the evaluation process, but it's not a game changer; and if anything having a lot of talent around a QB puts more pressure on them to perform.
Having a lot of talent around QB, like fielding an All-Pro team against normal teams, does but pressure on them, but also makes them look WAY better. Good scouts cut out the gravy train plays and look at the film of NFL type plays, usually a smaller sample set. This leads to significant discrepancy between the Homers wowed by the highlight reels, and what the scouts see. Point is, good scouts can project much more accurately, though still not exact science.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #163
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...artner=ya4nbcs

The first three picks in the draft belong to the Jaguars, Jets and 49ers -- in that order. All three teams are expected to take quarterbacks with those picks, with Clemson's Trevor Lawrence expected to go first and BYU's Zach Wilson to follow. Who San Francisco takes at third remains uncertain, but signs are pointing towards Alabama's Mac Jones.

With this being the case, the draft truly begins at the fourth pick, one that currently belongs to the Falcons. However, reports surfaced yesterday that Atlanta is willing to move back from the pick, should a QB-needy team like Washington want to trade up for that selection.

Lombardi doesn't think Washington will strike a deal with Atlanta right away. He believes the asking price is too high for what Washington is willing to pay.

"They're going to wait for the draft. And, if Trey Lance starts to slide, they're going to go get his ass," Lombardi said. "They're gonna go get his ass. 'We're going to react to what happens in front of us.' He's not lying. Ron [Rivera] is just being totally honest."

But, if Lance makes it past the fourth pick in the draft - by Atlanta or whatever team trades up into that spot - the analyst thinks Washington could make a move.

"I think they want Trey Lance. I think they're willing to go get him. I think they want to do it in a way to where they can minimize their cost," Lombardi said. "And so the only way you can do that is get on the clock and wait for that draft to start and wait for who goes four, who goes five, who's at six. Maybe I can get to six and they'll be willing to move down [to 19] and I'll give them next year's [first-round pick] and yada yada yah. And move on that way."

If Washington were to select Lance, he would not be put into action right away, especially after adding Fitzpatrick in free agency.
The real question is, who is the traitor in the organization leaking this stuff. Remember year Chiefs took Mahomes, traded up, NO ONE knew they were interested. Unless this is disinfo, meant to make another team trade up for QB and help ensure all five QBs gone so we get better player when we pick, you would NOT want stuff like this leaked, as you up the price.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #164
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

It's all smoke & mirrors right now and will be until the draft. The only organizations that have no reason to hide their intent are JAX, NYJ, and SF. Everyone else is in full disinformation mode...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #165
Ohioskins
Special Teams

Monkeydad, if you think Haskins and Fields are the same type of quarterback just because they both came from OSU, you are not a particularly astute fan. To begin with Haskins was coached by and played in a system designed by Urban Meyer. While Meyer had a great win/loss record his offense was not designed with a pro set. It was more of a Tim Tebow type system.

By contrast, Fields has played under Ryan Day who runs a pro style offense. Day himself was a QB coach in the NFL. Your anti Big Ten bias is also showing.