Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Pre Draft Thread 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-09-2021, 09:00 PM   #181
Scalper

Re: Pre Draft Thread 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The Trey Lance hype train is really picking up.. I just don't see us trading into the top 7 to get him but what do I know?
I watched a little of Lance. Jimminy F-ing X-mas does that guy have a strong arm. Takes more than that to be a QB in NFL of course, but I was blown away. Not like all-time strong, but this is really a deep class for QBs. A lot of years he would be 2nd overall QB. Not saying you should trade farm for him, but man does he have arm strength. He also seems to have only average accuracy at best, which mental aside, is probably primary determinant of NFL success. So who knows. I'm not a pro scout, but you watch the guy throw and I think some team before us takes him for sure, possibly in top 10. Watching him throw, top 5 doesn't sound ridiculous, for some team desperate for QB help.

I would guess that FO has very quietly determined approximate price of moving up to different spots in draft--before draft day desperation ups the price, which is why SF probably made deal early.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #182
Scalper

I think if the FO trades up, and I don't like the idea, the thinking might go something like this. In any other year, you'd have to trade up top-10 to get a player like (QB X), but if one falls, you can get him trading up less high, because class is so deep. So the cost less punitive this year than will be future year. I again don't buy the argument, but it is not preposterous either, especially if you think we'll be 5 spots lower in draft next year.

It is not like there is ever going to be a year where top-10 teams all have QBs, but Rodgers others drafted later in draft.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #183
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I don't think it's realistic that we'd trade up to 4, but what if he starts to slide down towards the 10-12 range? That's probably when teams will start calling.

In the end if he's the next Mahomes there's no price that's too much.

Same can be said about Mac Jones being the next Tom Brady.

Who I'd obviously draft now, knowing what we know.

But chances are very good that Lance and Jones are neither Mahomes or Brady.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:03 AM   #184
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

If Atlanta doesn't select a quarterback at #4, I can see a scenario where Washington moves up to #8, trading with the Carolina Panthers, and drafting a quarterback. NOT Trey Lance though - Justin Fields. Assuming neither NY or SF doesn't draft him.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:18 AM   #185
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post
Trading all of our picks for an unproven, 1 year starter is the most Redskinsey thing I’ve ever heard.
It must be true.. 😢
Hopefully some other poor fool of a team will save us from ourselves. 😁
Is the shadow of Dan Snyder lengthening as the sun goes down on our draft?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #186
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Why Washington's priority in 2021 NFL draft could be finding a left tackle

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington...-a-left-tackle

Good article here. My advice don’t reach for Tackle in the first as the draft is deep with talent

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #187
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Why Washington's priority in 2021 NFL draft could be finding a left tackle

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington...-a-left-tackle

Good article here. My advice don’t reach for Tackle in the first as the draft is deep with talent
This is why I don't want to see us trade up in the 1st. There's no point selling out to get someone like Lance or Jones (or even Fields) and not being able to protect them. Just look what happened to Burrow. And if the guy proves a bust then you've not only wasted the picks you've traded, you have to do it all over again next year or the year after, AND still have to build a line around them (as you threw away the picks on your failed QB). Too much potential downside for the unknown upside if you ask me.

But likewise, I wouldn't trade back. Right now I can see Darrisaw and Jenkins being gone by 19, but if not I'd take one of them, and if they are gone, I'd take an LB and then draft LT in round 2 (or maybe package a trade for that rd 2 pick that allows us to still get an LT plus an extra pick. Can't help thinking trading away that 1st round pick means we will miss out on a stud player.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #188
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

19: R1 P19 OT Christian Darrisaw - Virginia Tech
51: R2 P19 G Wyatt Davis - Ohio State
74: R3 P10 LB Nick Bolton - Missouri
82: R3 P18 S Andre Cisco - Syracuse
124: R4 P19 LB Cameron McGrone - Michigan
163: R5 P19 TE Tre' McKitty - Georgia
244: R7 P16 WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette - Iowa
246: R7 P18 CB Bryce Thompson - Tennessee
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:35 AM   #189
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
This is why I don't want to see us trade up in the 1st. There's no point selling out to get someone like Lance or Jones (or even Fields) and not being able to protect them. Just look what happened to Burrow. And if the guy proves a bust then you've not only wasted the picks you've traded, you have to do it all over again next year or the year after, AND still have to build a line around them (as you threw away the picks on your failed QB). Too much potential downside for the unknown upside if you ask me.

But likewise, I wouldn't trade back. Right now I can see Darrisaw and Jenkins being gone by 19, but if not I'd take one of them, and if they are gone, I'd take an LB and then draft LT in round 2 (or maybe package a trade for that rd 2 pick that allows us to still get an LT plus an extra pick. Can't help thinking trading away that 1st round pick means we will miss out on a stud player.
We have too many needs to be trading up for QBs with potential but also massive question marks.

You would hate to see all five QBs and the 3-4 top LTs off board when we pick, but if so, there will be studs at some other position that fall. We are looking pretty good no matter how you slice it. Trading back always depends on the value. I probably don't trade back if I feel a surefire franchise LT is there, but depends on what is being offered. If the deal is good enough, it almost always makes sense to trade back, taking a top-tier franchise QB if you don't have one being an exception.

Look at the cascading effect of Miami trading repeatedly. They have piles of picks. You never get those opportunities if you don't make first trade. You need true studs at 5 high-leverage positions but can get by with very good players everywhere else. We still need LT and QB, so it is interesting to ask how good the trade-back offer has to be to make you pass on a franchise LT. How soon will we be picking top 15 or top 10 again in a draft deep with LTs?
Old 04-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #190
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Worth pointing out with Miami that a number of their trades started out as moving players that were arguably top level to start with (Landry, Tunsil etc.). I get the idea of trading players that are not as good as you hoped or have passed their peak, but moving good players for future picks isn't always wise. Using Miami as an example with this years haul of picks is a little disingenuous, given their recent history. They've traded multiple times in recent years with middling success to show for it. Having a raft of picks doesn't translate to success half as much as knowing what to do with those picks does.

In other words I'd rather stick with what we've got and pick the BPA than have more picks and ending up with little to show for them. I mean if the brain trust thinks they have 2 or 3 nailed on studs further down the order and trading out of #19 will deliver those guys to our roster then maybe, but I'd want to be pretty damn certain before I pull the trigger on that trade. Especially if we then see the guy we would have picked at #19 become a star.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #191
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quarterback: Washington doesn’t need a quarterback. It will enter the draft with four of them. But it needs the right quarterback, someone who has the ability to become the starter and hold that role for years to come. Given Ryan Fitzpatrick’s presence and the team’s other needs, it’s a crapshoot whether Washington decides to draft one. The team has an interest in Stanford’s Davis Mills, as The Athletic’s Ben Standig has reported, but that’s no guarantee it would take him — or any other player at the position — for the sake of having one.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #192
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

We don't need to take a QB. But if the value is there when our pick comes around, regardless of round, we should pull the trigger.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #193
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

If Lance falls out of the top 10 (I know very unlikely) then I pull the trigger
Old 04-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #194
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I'm not a fan of trading up, and I definitely wouldn't trade up for Lance. If he's there at 19, and they like him, fine...

IF a QB falls and they decide to trade up, I would rather that target be Fields.

Staying at 19 or trading back if it makes sense is what I would rather them do.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #195
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I'm not a fan of trading up, and I definitely wouldn't trade up for Lance. If he's there at 19, and they like him, fine...

IF a QB falls and they decide to trade up, I would rather that target be Fields.

Staying at 19 or trading back if it makes sense is what I would rather them do.
The biggest, dumbest mistake would be trading up for Lance, Mac or Fields

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote