PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2023, 09:41 PM   #62
calia
Playmaker

Re: Sweat to the bears for a 2nd rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Rebuild my ass!! All we needed was 2 OT, MLB and better coaching. To give away two of the best DE’s is fucking stupid.
That's how I felt. Many of us (although admittedly not all) had some optimism headed into the season while recognizing that OL was not going to be a strength and that we did nothing meaningful on the LB front. Sure it would have been great to have more assets there, but virtually every team has holes somewhere and there's a difference between competing and being a SB contender. I thought we'd least compete, but here it is in fucking October, and we're throwing in the towel on yet another lost year.

I cannot imagine that some of our core players -- Allen, Payne, McLaurin -- are particularly happy right now. Going full rebuild, assuming it takes a few years, means that they've squandered a lot of their careers playing for the fuckwads running this team.

I am so tired of having so little to root for with this team come November. I know, I know -- the stench of Snyder runs deep, RR was the best we could get and he's not a good coach (your record says what you are), etc. But fuck, man -- it is a soul-sucking experience to root for this team (or at least, it has been for the last 25 years; my first 25 years rooting for this team were pretty fun). Is fucking Alice in Wonderland -- jam yesterday and jam tomorrow but never, ever jam today.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:43 PM   #63
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Sweat to the bears for a 2nd rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Great trade. I'm happy with it. Better than a conditional 3rd rounder. I think we fleeced the Bears in this trade.

Big time. Sweat isn’t worth a pick in the 30s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2023, 11:30 PM   #64
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Sweat to the Bears for a 2nd rounder

Sounds like the plan was to end the day with Chase traded away for whatever they could get for him. I thought he was on the rise, getting better each week, but maybe that's the fan in me. Coming off that injury there was probably enough doubt that they decided to cut their losses today. I was hoping to get more for him, but obviously the market wasn't there, so he probably wasn't worth more. Oh well. Better to have a 3rd in 2024 than hope for a 3rd in 2025.

From all the reporting from various outlets I get the feeling that they didn't expect to get such a great offer for Sweat, and when they did, it was too much to turn down. A pick in the top half of the 2nd is a really good trade.

When you combine the results of the two trades, I guess I'm fine with the overall haul. With five picks in the first three rounds, we should be able to fill some holes with legit players - if we have people who know what TF they are doing.

Funny thing is I don't even look at today as throwing in the towel like some of you. This defense is ranked in the bottom 5. There's not much lower they can go. Maybe some new, young blood in the lineup will make a difference. If not, then we'll probably just be as good a team over the next 9 games as we have been over the first 8.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:38 AM   #65
Meks
Pro Bowl

I don't at all see it as throwing in the towel. I feel like Ron ripped the towel in half tho, and threw the first half in by not going for 2 in philly.

But yea acquiring picks for these 2 doesn't wave a white flag for me at all given the state of this D unit. I hope the players feel the same and this, if anything, serves as a wake up call.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:56 PM   #66
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Re: Sweat traded to the Bears, Young to the 49ers

Sweat's jersey will cost less after this trade.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:08 PM   #67
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Sounds like the plan was to end the day with Chase traded away for whatever they could get for him. I thought he was on the rise, getting better each week, but maybe that's the fan in me. Coming off that injury there was probably enough doubt that they decided to cut their losses today. I was hoping to get more for him, but obviously the market wasn't there, so he probably wasn't worth more. Oh well. Better to have a 3rd in 2024 than hope for a 3rd in 2025.

From all the reporting from various outlets I get the feeling that they didn't expect to get such a great offer for Sweat, and when they did, it was too much to turn down. A pick in the top half of the 2nd is a really good trade.

When you combine the results of the two trades, I guess I'm fine with the overall haul. With five picks in the first three rounds, we should be able to fill some holes with legit players - if we have people who know what TF they are doing.

Funny thing is I don't even look at today as throwing in the towel like some of you. This defense is ranked in the bottom 5. There's not much lower they can go. Maybe some new, young blood in the lineup will make a difference. If not, then we'll probably just be as good a team over the next 9 games as we have been over the first 8.
First two paragraphs - we are riding on the same wave Chief. That is my perception of both trades as well. They locked in the third for Chase next year knowing that getting it now allows flexibility to pursue options in FA and still get something worthwhile for him knowing he was most likely going to walk because they weren't comfortable paying.

Anyways I just came in here to share this:

Montez says goodbye to DC - it's all love from him. Thanks for the good 4+ years Tez. Wishing him luck in Chicago except when he plays us.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:58 PM   #68
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Big deal, makes me feel better about the trade

Quote:
Ian Rapoport

New #Bears edge Montez Sweat has agreed to a massive 4-year extension, worth $98,000,000 in new money (24.5m apy). Getting $72,865,360 guaranteed. Deal done by @KlutchSports Damarius Bilbo & Kelton Crenshaw. Total deal is $105m.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #69
Are Jay
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Makes me feel MUCH better! Damn!
Are Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #70
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Good for him, he earned it.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:38 PM   #71
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Sweat getting paid is the only way the trade remotely made sense for the Bears. Sweat is a good football player and a great dude. I'm happy for him, and I have nothing against the Bears. I hope both teams benefit from this trade.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 09:24 PM   #72
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

LOL. Bears are fucking idiots. Their GM is a complete moron. Sweat not even remotely close to worth that contract. Just driving up the price for guys who are.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 11:12 PM   #73
That Guy
Living Legend

I mean, we could get the 3rd and turn around and still sign young in FA (if this were madden). I don't think that's a great idea (100% depends on the contract $$), and I don't think players that get their option year turned down and then get shipped off for a comp pick would feel super inclined (unless it was a lot more money).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 11:15 PM   #74
That Guy
Living Legend

sweat trade was a 10/10 though (I think the young trade was overall fine too, no guarantee he stays w/o tag or that we'd get a comp pick). Trade down 9 spots for 4.5 years of cheap high-level starting production. I do think he's a good player, not sure on 25m/year though. best of luck!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:37 AM   #75
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I mean, we could get the 3rd and turn around and still sign young in FA (if this were madden). I don't think that's a great idea (100% depends on the contract $$), and I don't think players that get their option year turned down and then get shipped off for a comp pick would feel super inclined (unless it was a lot more money).
I'm pretty sure there is zero intent to sign CY in free agency, should he get there. I believe they intended to trade him for whatever they could get, because they want to cut their losses.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote