Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #16
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Stafford in WFT Plans? He’s Available

As much as I like Stafford, it's hard for me to justify giving up at least our first this year plus additional picks for a guy who is on the wrong side of 30.

If we were assured to get 5+ years out of him I wouldn't have an issue, but we've had pretty terrible luck trading for qb's on the wrong side of 30 recently.

On the flip side, qb is the most important position and without a good qb your chances are nil of going anywhere in the playoffs. So it's easy to see why the price is so high.

I say do it, but I have reservations about the deal. If for some reason something bad happens and he has a serious injury we basically are back to square one for the next year or two (but with the bonus of having Heinicke as the backup).

Advertisements
Old 01-23-2021, 11:36 PM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I hadn't considered the Steelers but he would be a great fit there too. The poll came from a yahoo sports article.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:43 PM   #18
rocnrik
Playmaker

I’m in !!!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #19
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I hadn't considered the Steelers but he would be a great fit there too. The poll came from a yahoo sports article.

I do not see the Patriots being an option with Patricia back. That experiment was a shit show.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:48 PM   #20
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I'll be the odd man out here. I don't want Stafford. He's likely more talented than anyone on our roster - but he's on the wrong side of 30, is a perennial loser even with pretty decent offensive weapons, and would have us giving up draft capital to get him. Not everyone is Tom Brady that can play until they're 40, especially a player that hasn't proven they can elevate the talent around them.

I think we saw during the playoffs we're way more than just a QB away from being a perennial competitor. Henicke had an exceptional game in the playoffs that still wasn't able to bring it home, largely due to large gaps with our LBs, WRs, and DBs.

Honestly, I'm okay seeing what we have in Henicke and Allen this season at QB - or going after a younger vet that would take less/no draft capital (Mariotta, Dak, etc.) while building up the team around. If those players do poorly this year, start looking to being aggressive in the draft for a long-term answer.

Tannehill is also 32 and looked outstanding in Tennessee also, Mariota absolutely sucks

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #21
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Arbitrarily picking an age and saying a person is too old is a little short sighted. QB is a position where you can not have that number be the sole judge of a player.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #22
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

As much as Stafford is a known commodity I would not not give up a first for him. I'd rather role the dice and see what we can get in the draft and sign a free agent or see what #4 & #8 can do for one year....
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #23
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post
As much as Stafford is a known commodity I would not not give up a first for him. I'd rather role the dice and see what we can get in the draft and sign a free agent or see what #4 & #8 can do for one year....
I don't see Rivera being in that mindset. Last season, when it became clear there was even a chance to win the division, his mindset clearly changed. Now with a division title gained, I see him taking every shot at getting the qb situation settled beyond question.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #24
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

So people wouldn’t have traded for Brady 10 years ago because he’s on the wrong side of 30?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #25
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
So people wouldn’t have traded for Brady 10 years ago because he’s on the wrong side of 30?
This is a stupid question.

Are you saying people wouldn't trade for literally the greatest quarterback in NFL history because he was over 30?
Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #26
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
This is a stupid question.

Are you saying people wouldn't trade for literally the greatest quarterback in NFL history because he was over 30?
It’s not a stupid question. People are on here saying don’t do it because Stafford’s over 30. That’s stupid. QBs last longer than the average player for the most part, he’s a known commodity as a really good QB and could make us a ton better. Argue the price? Sure. Saying no just because he’s 32? That’s stupid.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #27
Schneed10
A Dude

Stafford would be my preferred QB move over Watson given the significant difference in the price. Rivera had this team much improved over the Gruden / Allen days, but there are significant holes on the roster. LB and DB, depth at WR, depth at TE, a long term answer at LT, these are all things we could really use our first round picks on in 2022 and 2023. Watson is a great player but I don’t want to trade so much for a guy and put him in the position of having to hoist the entire offense on his back.

Stafford will only cost a 1 and a 3 or something like that, which is still plenty but not so much that you can’t build a young nucleus.

For those who question how good Stafford is, school yourself. Watch some football outside of the NFC East. Since 2011, no QB has more game winning drives than Stafford.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...gwd_active.htm
Old 01-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #28
Schneed10
A Dude

All time, 4th quarter comebacks:

7th all time, tied with John Elway

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...cks_career.htm
Old 01-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
It’s not a stupid question. People are on here saying don’t do it because Stafford’s over 30. That’s stupid. QBs last longer than the average player for the most part, he’s a known commodity as a really good QB and could make us a ton better. Argue the price? Sure. Saying no just because he’s 32? That’s stupid.
If you could provide some statistical evidence to back up your assertion, that would be great. There is literally no evidence qb's last longer other than recent history with Brees and Brady playing until 42/43. Historically they haven't lasted longer than any other position and the ones that did basically stayed injury free for most of their careers.

I'm saying the price should go down because he's 32 and you're not getting a decade of prime talent. Historically players also don't get better at avoiding injury with age too.

The argument you're looking for is demand far exceeds supply for talented qb's right now, which is gonna drive the price up.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #30
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I don't know what the stats say, but with the increased protection of qb's by the league it seems the trend would be for more of them to have longer playing careers.