Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Free Agency

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Grade WFT's free agency haul so far (Fitz, Samuel, Jackson)
A 28 48.28%
B 26 44.83%
C 3 5.17%
D 1 1.72%
F 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2021, 02:16 AM   #361
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Re: WFT Free Agency

"Highest paid" is always hust a PR thing that far too many players are concerned with, it may be the length of the contract or the guarantees that are the real issue. He was always likely to reset the market but for a guy that gets injured as much as he does, it isn't worth the cap hit if it means losing other young talent down the road. I would have thought there would have been whispers if he was being made available for trade. If they draft a guard this year that will tell us a lot, but I am a little concerned that it appears the team is leaking this out after RR was questioned about it a couple of days ago.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-04-2021, 02:25 AM   #362
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
"Highest paid" is always hust a PR thing that far too many players are concerned with, it may be the length of the contract or the guarantees that are the real issue. He was always likely to reset the market but for a guy that gets injured as much as he does, it isn't worth the cap hit if it means losing other young talent down the road. I would have thought there would have been whispers if he was being made available for trade. If they draft a guard this year that will tell us a lot, but I am a little concerned that it appears the team is leaking this out after RR was questioned about it a couple of days ago.
We're far from BA having press conf to tell the world what incredible offer Cousins turned down... but yeah I agree the timing makes one wonder.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:10 AM   #363
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Like a recent article mentioned, If they were to give him a four or five-year contract, now or previously, they would still have had to pay around the same money ($33 million) in fully guaranteed funds that they are now, but they would also be stuck with massive salaries or a significant dead cap hit if they wanted to move on.

The alternative was to let him walk this year. I'm glad we have him for one more year...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #364
EdmundDorf
The Starter

The highest salary is also debatable point, did they offer him $1 more than the previous high, $15m ish I think, which is understandable that he may refuse, or is he looking for $18m+ pa. The fact that they didn't tell JK the number on the offer makes me think it was the former, so there may still be chance to meet in the middle at about $17m pa. Which like it or not will be the number for an allpro guard. Bear in mind Zach Martin just got an $18m pa extension, but Scherff is no Zach Martin ( injuries and does get beaten in pass protection occaisionally)
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #365
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
The highest salary is also debatable point, did they offer him $1 more than the previous high, $15m ish I think, which is understandable that he may refuse, or is he looking for $18m+ pa. The fact that they didn't tell JK the number on the offer makes me think it was the former, so there may still be chance to meet in the middle at about $17m pa. Which like it or not will be the number for an allpro guard. Bear in mind Zach Martin just got an $18m pa extension, but Scherff is no Zach Martin ( injuries and does get beaten in pass protection occaisionally)
Agreed 100%. On the 2 knocks, and on the fact I'd be ok with Scherff long term at 17M/yr. My issue is a big cap hit with no future.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #366
Schneed10
A Dude

Just like Cousins. Said all the right things but showed no genuine interest in making it work when it came time to negotiate. He didn’t want to be here, not much more complicated than that. So time to let him go in 2022.

He’ll get one of the biggest contracts next season which will lead to a 3rd round comp pick for us in 2023, assuming that at that point we’re focused on signing our own guys and not on bringing in FAs from the outside.

Good Gs can be had in the 2nd round of any draft. I think this saves the team from possibly making a mistake. He’ll play extremely hard this year as he always does, trying to earn that big deal in 2022.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #367
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Just like Cousins. Said all the right things but showed no genuine interest in making it work when it came time to negotiate. He didn’t want to be here, not much more complicated than that. So time to let him go in 2022.

He’ll get one of the biggest contracts next season which will lead to a 3rd round comp pick for us in 2023, assuming that at that point we’re focused on signing our own guys and not on bringing in FAs from the outside.

Good Gs can be had in the 2nd round of any draft. I think this saves the team from possibly making a mistake. He’ll play extremely hard this year as he always does, trying to earn that big deal in 2022.
This x 1000. Just like I think Cousins is a little rat and I hope he never wins jack, Scherff will be added to this list as well.

I don't even want Scherff back after this year. Hopefully he plays well for his own selfish purposes, so the team can benefit 1 more year. Then replace him with Ismael or draft/sign his replacement.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #368
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

That's why I'm thinking the team should look to see if there would be a team who would trade for him. I think there's a chance we will sign a player to a big contract next off-season, which will offset the 3rd round comp pick. This is probably likely if we don't have a good draft this year (i.e., LB or LT).

Even if a team offers an early 3rd round pick for him, I would take it. I think we can find a starter on day 2 of draft.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #369
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

So what would that trade even look like? Scherff for a 3rd, and they pick up the $18M FT salary?
Old 04-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #370
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
So what would that trade even look like? Scherff for a 3rd, and they pick up the $18M FT salary?
I would assume the team will want to sign Scherff to a long term contract right after the trade.

Obviously it would take a few things to fall together to make this happen. I just think we would be better off trying to get something for Scherff than hoping that we would get a 3rd round comp pick next year.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #371
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I think they did what they had to do. The choices were let him walk for nothing, or FT him. At least he's on the team for one more year.

I don't see anyone trading for him at this point.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:29 AM   #372
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I think they did what they had to do. The choices were let him walk for nothing, or FT him. At least he's on the team for one more year.

I don't see anyone trading for him at this point.
I hear that, and I'm not saying it's the worst move ever, but I would have rather signed a cheap stop gap RG and/or drafter a future replacement + have those 18M cap space available for a year where we're really gonna contend... but then again this offseason looks more and more like next year isn't that much of a "rebuild/3 to 5 years process" season, so the tag may ending up making more sense than I think now.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #373
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Is it possible BS is waiting for next years cap to go up where he thinks he can get more upfront than this year? I am thinking no. It is not like we are in cap difficulty right now so we could make it as enticing as we can, so I leaning toward the he is going to walk next year.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #374
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Is it possible BS is waiting for next years cap to go up where he thinks he can get more upfront than this year? I am thinking no. It is not like we are in cap difficulty right now so we could make it as enticing as we can, so I leaning toward the he is going to walk next year.
Yea, this was his year to get paid by the WFT with a long term deal. The space was there, seemingly the desire by the team was there. Not sure why it couldn't get done, but I can't imagine anything changing significantly to benefit BS' negotiation position.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #375
SunnySide
Playmaker

We could have had

TE Hunter Henry
G Thuney or Zeitler or Trai Turner or many other starting level Gs
3r comp

Instead we get an injury prone G who is taking up 18M in cap space all in 1 year

I understand you dont let high level homegrown players walk ... but Scherff is like maybe the 6th or 7th best G in the game and fuck him if he wants to over value himself

We are letting a G dictate to us.

Hes a guard. If we knew he wasnt going to resign with us .. then let him walk now vs next year.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote