Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


The Good News Thread

Parking Lot


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2024, 11:09 AM   #511
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 23,039
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Global Life Expectancy Rises by 6.2 Years After Drop in Deaths from Stroke, Diarrhea, and Respiratory Infections

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/glob...ry-infections/

I never would have guessed diarrhea was one of the leading causes of death. Learn something new every day. Yesterday I learned how to fix a dryer. Today i learned the next time i have diarrhea it will be followed by a panic attack. Lol
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2024, 05:19 PM   #512
Giantone
Gamebreaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,594
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I never would have guessed diarrhea was one of the leading causes of death. Learn something new every day. Yesterday I learned how to fix a dryer. Today i learned the next time i have diarrhea it will be followed by a panic attack. Lol
LOL, I think the cause of the diarrhea is more of the problem then the diarrhea it's self.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:21 PM   #513
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 23,039
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL, I think the cause of the diarrhea is more of the problem then the diarrhea it's self.

Yes and I will think i have the bad diarrhea instead of the normal diarrhea. Lol.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:20 AM   #514
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,325
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Got home from work- 10 hour shift - walk in and the first thing my wife says is I put sneakers in the dryer and now it doesn’t turn. One of the sneakers got jammed so the dryer wouldn’t turn and the belt snapped. I am not a mechanically inclined person but YouTube is awesome. Took the dryer apart - panic set in once it was all taken apart. Found out what kind of belt i needed. Went to lowes and got one. Came home and started the video again and fixed the son of a bitch. Belt cost 15 bucks. Saved probably 400. Win.
Love a DIY feel good story punch, congrats. Glad it worked out and you saved a bunch of money. I have a similar one.

About 6 months ago I was backing my car in and I bent my LH side mirror forward when I turned too close to the bull bars on my coworkers' Silverado dually. So I needed a new mirror (I can reuse the mirror cover) and to pay someone for the install. I work in auto parts and I can do basic pm stuff on my car but I've never done anything body related before. I used my connections to get a quote on an OE mirror - even at wholesale price they wanted $250 for it.

Got it for 75 on Rock Auto and borrowed some tools from a technician friend of mine and watched a YT video on how to do it. Got it done in about 20 minutes at home with a plastic pry bar, 10mm socket, and a Phillips screw driver. The interior door trim is secured by like 2-3 screws and 10+ push pin clips (plastic pry bar) and the mirror is secured by x3 10mm bolts. No doubt if I had paid someone to do it it would've cost me several hundred. YT can be a real lifesaver sometimes.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:47 AM   #515
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 23,039
The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Love a DIY feel good story punch, congrats. Glad it worked out and you saved a bunch of money. I have a similar one.

About 6 months ago I was backing my car in and I bent my LH side mirror forward when I turned too close to the bull bars on my coworkers' Silverado dually. So I needed a new mirror (I can reuse the mirror cover) and to pay someone for the install. I work in auto parts and I can do basic pm stuff on my car but I've never done anything body related before. I used my connections to get a quote on an OE mirror - even at wholesale price they wanted $250 for it.

Got it for 75 on Rock Auto and borrowed some tools from a technician friend of mine and watched a YT video on how to do it. Got it done in about 20 minutes at home with a plastic pry bar, 10mm socket, and a Phillips screw driver. The interior door trim is secured by like 2-3 screws and 10+ push pin clips (plastic pry bar) and the mirror is secured by x3 10mm bolts. No doubt if I had paid someone to do it it would've cost me several hundred. YT can be a real lifesaver sometimes.

Awesome. The crazy thing is a sideview mirror is harder to fix than a dryer belt! More little parts for sure. Everyone always says you can fix that just watch YouTube and I am always like yeah right. Now i am a believer.

Last edited by punch it in; 04-17-2024 at 08:07 AM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:42 AM   #516
Giantone
Gamebreaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,594
Re: The Good News Thread

UAW wins big in historic union vote at Volkswagen Tennessee factory


This is a feel good story to me, Unions making some Headway in the South.

https://news.yahoo.com/finance/news/...021405622.html

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (Reuters) -Workers at Volkswagen's Tennessee plant have voted to join the United Auto Workers, in a seismic victory for the union as it drives beyond its Detroit base into the U.S. South and West.

A majority of eligible workers cast ballots in favor of the union, with the final tally on Friday at 2,628 to 985, or 73% for joining the UAW.

The landslide win will make the Chattanooga factory the first auto plant in the South to unionize via election since the 1940s and the first foreign-owned auto plant in the South to do so.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:10 AM   #517
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams
 
Darrell Green Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Mount Airy, MD
Posts: 104
Re: The Good News Thread

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few months ago. After countless tests I am set to start my treatment. Guys if you are getting cancer I strongly recommend you sign up for stage 2 prostate cancer, my survival rate is like 98%. Stay up with your blood work and listen to your doctors is my advice.

I had two scares. I had traces of blood in my urine and my bladder needed to be checked. I was terrified that the cancer had spread to my bladder, then the numbers change dramatically. Well the bladder was clear and I learned prostate cancer does not spread to the bladder. Next the urologist said I needed a PET scan, apparently the new protocol is if any sample was over 50% carcinoma they need to check for spread. I asked where prostate cancer spreads and was told the lymph nodes or the bone. Ouch. With 3 weeks to wait on the scan bad thoughts started to creep in . Anyone who is facing a PET scan who claims they have not considered their mortality is lying.

But the oncologist said he was wrong, it's not 50% of any one sample, it is if over 50% of all the samples are cancer I had 2 out of 16 so she told me to cancel the scan. After that I relaxed. No chemo, 30 minute treatments 5 times a week for 4 weeks and I am done. Can't wait to ring that bell.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #518
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 23,039
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few months ago. After countless tests I am set to start my treatment. Guys if you are getting cancer I strongly recommend you sign up for stage 2 prostate cancer, my survival rate is like 98%. Stay up with your blood work and listen to your doctors is my advice.

I had two scares. I had traces of blood in my urine and my bladder needed to be checked. I was terrified that the cancer had spread to my bladder, then the numbers change dramatically. Well the bladder was clear and I learned prostate cancer does not spread to the bladder. Next the urologist said I needed a PET scan, apparently the new protocol is if any sample was over 50% carcinoma they need to check for spread. I asked where prostate cancer spreads and was told the lymph nodes or the bone. Ouch. With 3 weeks to wait on the scan bad thoughts started to creep in . Anyone who is facing a PET scan who claims they have not considered their mortality is lying.

But the oncologist said he was wrong, it's not 50% of any one sample, it is if over 50% of all the samples are cancer I had 2 out of 16 so she told me to cancel the scan. After that I relaxed. No chemo, 30 minute treatments 5 times a week for 4 weeks and I am done. Can't wait to ring that bell.

Damn DG sounds like you had quite a scare. Sorry to hear that man. Glad Glad you’re on top of it.
Good luck with the treatments and keep us posted!
Good news indeed!!! And here me and Mooby are excited about dryers and side view mirrors. Lol
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:26 PM   #519
Giantone
Gamebreaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,594
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few months ago. After countless tests I am set to start my treatment. Guys if you are getting cancer I strongly recommend you sign up for stage 2 prostate cancer, my survival rate is like 98%. Stay up with your blood work and listen to your doctors is my advice.

I had two scares. I had traces of blood in my urine and my bladder needed to be checked. I was terrified that the cancer had spread to my bladder, then the numbers change dramatically. Well the bladder was clear and I learned prostate cancer does not spread to the bladder. Next the urologist said I needed a PET scan, apparently the new protocol is if any sample was over 50% carcinoma they need to check for spread. I asked where prostate cancer spreads and was told the lymph nodes or the bone. Ouch. With 3 weeks to wait on the scan bad thoughts started to creep in . Anyone who is facing a PET scan who claims they have not considered their mortality is lying.

But the oncologist said he was wrong, it's not 50% of any one sample, it is if over 50% of all the samples are cancer I had 2 out of 16 so she told me to cancel the scan. After that I relaxed. No chemo, 30 minute treatments 5 times a week for 4 weeks and I am done. Can't wait to ring that bell.
So sorry, hope all the best for you and I'll say a prayer.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:29 AM   #520
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams
 
Darrell Green Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Mount Airy, MD
Posts: 104
Re: The Good News Thread

Appreciate the good thoughts guys but I'm good. I got off easy when compared to what so many others have to go through. I only told a handful of people, I now know why people keep it quiet. I found quickly that when you tell people you have cancer they tend to bow their head and treat you like a dead man. I didn't want to go through that, I didn't want people to worry or to treat me differently. So I post about it on message boards, it's kind of therapeutic.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:15 AM   #521
Giantone
Gamebreaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,594
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
Appreciate the good thoughts guys but I'm good. I got off easy when compared to what so many others have to go through. I only told a handful of people, I now know why people keep it quiet. I found quickly that when you tell people you have cancer they tend to bow their head and treat you like a dead man. I didn't want to go through that, I didn't want people to worry or to treat me differently. So I post about it on message boards, it's kind of therapeutic.
You have to do what's best for you, others be damned!(jk) Best to you!
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:18 AM   #522
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 51
Posts: 99,383
Re: The Good News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few months ago. After countless tests I am set to start my treatment. Guys if you are getting cancer I strongly recommend you sign up for stage 2 prostate cancer, my survival rate is like 98%. Stay up with your blood work and listen to your doctors is my advice.

I had two scares. I had traces of blood in my urine and my bladder needed to be checked. I was terrified that the cancer had spread to my bladder, then the numbers change dramatically. Well the bladder was clear and I learned prostate cancer does not spread to the bladder. Next the urologist said I needed a PET scan, apparently the new protocol is if any sample was over 50% carcinoma they need to check for spread. I asked where prostate cancer spreads and was told the lymph nodes or the bone. Ouch. With 3 weeks to wait on the scan bad thoughts started to creep in . Anyone who is facing a PET scan who claims they have not considered their mortality is lying.

But the oncologist said he was wrong, it's not 50% of any one sample, it is if over 50% of all the samples are cancer I had 2 out of 16 so she told me to cancel the scan. After that I relaxed. No chemo, 30 minute treatments 5 times a week for 4 weeks and I am done. Can't wait to ring that bell.
That's scary man, but considering the possibilities it sounds like you dodged a bullet. Keep us posted and good luck.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:59 PM   #523
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 52
Posts: 23,039
The Good News Thread

Wrong thread

Last edited by punch it in; 05-03-2024 at 01:24 AM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #524
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hanahan, South Carolina
Age: 40
Posts: 19,398
Re: The Good News Thread

Washington Commanders were clearly not the case-study for this research. But this is great, as I need any more reasons to be obsessed w/ sports:

Watching Sports Boosts Well-being and Improves Your Health, According to ‘Ground-breaking’ Research

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/watc...king-research/

For any of you married folks, if your spouse gives you shit for too much sports, just say it's for your mental health.

"What, babe, you don't support my mental health?"
__________________
Turkish: What's happening with them sausages, Charlie?
Sausage Charlie: Five minutes, Turkish.
Turkish: It was two minutes five minutes ago.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Commanders or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.11141 seconds with 10 queries