Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Grossman, Beck or-ton?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Re: Grossman, Beck or-ton?

Sign Orton, cut Beck. Play Grossman this year. Get Orton ready for next year. Draft 1 or 2 QB's next year.
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post
Sign Orton, cut Beck. Play Grossman this year. Get Orton ready for next year. Draft 1 or 2 QB's next year.
This would be my game plan. I know we have many needs but I'd still take a 1st round QB and late round QB.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Orton and Grossman are basically the same guy. No thanks.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Orton and Grossman are basically the same guy. No thanks.
And you are correct but Orton has a better TD/INT ratio. Ya gotta go with the better one.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
mlmpetert
Playmaker

My thoughts are that Orton is better than Grossman. Grossman may have a better arm but has poor decision making. In our offensive i think better decision making is more important than a better arm.

We have a lot of uncertainty at the QB position next year. Grossman is a FA. We will likely be drafting a QB very high or trading a lot of picks for one. Beck will be gone. I dont even know who are PS QB is, but if Beck is still the second stringer at this point in the season i know the coaches dont have any faith in him. Even if we get Luck or RG3 at the bare minimum we need a second string QB next year, and having a vet that knows the offense would be a lot better in the development of a young guy.

Orton is a FA too, so I look at the reason we should try and get him is as a insurance policy. If he plays better then Grossman in our system then great, hopefully we can sign him to a contract and our roster is better, even if just depth. If he doesn’t then cool hes a FA and we get a supplemental pick when he signs with another team. Same thing with Grossman. Hopefully we would be able to keep one and hopefully it would be the better one. If not at least we will get 2 supplemental draft picks instead of just one.

Its real tough to get a decent FA QB right after we sign a 1st round draft pick, make a big trade for a guy or sign a big FA name like Matt Flynn. Having two chances to sign a decent guy that has familiarity with the offense but is basically conceding to the backup role is better than just one chance. And if neither work out at least we get something for our efforts and danny’s 2.5 million (money that doesn’t affect the future cap that Danny spends means absolutely nothing to me).

Last edited by mlmpetert; 11-23-2011 at 09:43 AM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

I'm kinda torn on this. I was in favor of trading for him prior to the season, but this late in the game and with the playoffs out of reach, I don't see the point now.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm kinda torn on this. I was in favor of trading for him prior to the season, but this late in the game and with the playoffs out of reach, I don't see the point now.
I agree, orton is really not very good. he's better than beck, but i wouldnt say he's better than grossman in this system now, and i have doubts he'd even represent a MARGINAL upgrade over grossman next year.

I say we stick with Grossman, draft a 1st round QB, draft a later-round QB, and pick up a FA QB next year. keep grossman and the 1st rounder in 2012 and then let the other two compete for a roster spot.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I agree, orton is really not very good. he's better than beck, but i wouldnt say he's better than grossman in this system now, and i have doubts he'd even represent a MARGINAL upgrade over grossman next year.

I say we stick with Grossman, draft a 1st round QB, draft a later-round QB, and pick up a FA QB next year. keep grossman and the 1st rounder in 2012 and then let the other two compete for a roster spot.
Grossman is a FA and at the very least is gonna shop around, what if he gets a better offer or doesnt want to serve as back up to a rookie?

No one knows how Orton will compare to Grossman in our system. With the season over why not find out now and try to keep the best one for 2012? What if we are unable to get any of the QBs in the draft or FA we really want?

And if we are able to get Orton it just means Beck is gone. Thats it. Maybe if Orton shows a lot of promise he gets a couple starts at the end of the year. But not wanting Orton means that you want Beck and/or you want Grossman to go unchallenged.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:

All things being equal Orton is definitely a better QB than Grossman. Better career numbers, better W/L %, and he simply passes the eyeball test over Grossman.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
All things being equal Orton is definitely a better QB than Grossman. Better career numbers, better W/L %, and he simply passes the eyeball test over Grossman.
No doubt, Orton took his job lol.. I wanted KO before the season but whats the point now?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
No doubt, Orton took his job lol.. I wanted KO before the season but whats the point now?
For this year, it doesn't make much sense. But it makes sense if they feel he can be the guy next year until a rookie is ready. And he's definitely an upgrade over Grossman.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
in a vacuum maybe, but my post related to how he would do in this system. the system is supposed to be soooo complex it takes years for a QB to integrate in it.

I certainly hope that our rookie would win the job outright in training camp next year; however, worst case senario for a 1st round QB as high as well be drafting would be starting by week 4-6. With that in mind, i highly doubt orton would perform better than grossman between now and week 4-6 of next year. and even if he could, would it really be worth taking a new stop gap in for such a short period of time?

Assuming Kyle doesnt "step down" after this season and remains our OC in 2012, id rather have grossman, an experienced QB in the system as our backup/mentor than Orton.

The one and only reason i'd think Orton would be a good idea is if we felt he had a legitimate shot to become our Franchise QB, meaning we could draft a rookie in the later rounds next year and use our early picks on something else.... like starting-caliber offensive linemen.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.

Last edited by BigHairedAristocrat; 11-23-2011 at 01:49 PM.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
in a vacuum maybe, but my post related to how he would do in this system. the system is supposed to be soooo complex it takes years for a QB to integrate in it.
I bet it's a huge challenge to learn 5 total running plays, a handful of screens and downfield routes lmao...I suspect there's high school teams with more sophisticated offensive scheme.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:

I certainly hope that our rookie would win the job outright in training camp next year; however, worst case senario for a 1st round QB as high as well be drafting would be starting by week 4-6. With that in mind, i highly doubt orton would perform better than grossman between now and week 4-6 of next year. and even if he could, would it really be worth taking a new stop gap in for such a short period of time?

Assuming Kyle doesnt "step down" after this season and remains our OC in 2012, id rather have grossman, an experienced QB in the system as our backup/mentor than Orton.

The one and only reason i'd think Orton would be a good idea is if we felt he had a legitimate shot to become our Franchise QB, meaning we could draft a rookie in the later rounds next year and use our early picks on something else.... like starting-caliber offensive linemen.
#1- I'd wager QB will be taken 1st round. If nothing else then to develope.

#2- It does make sense to take Orton cause god forbid the Rookie gets injured or doesn't start, you'll want a smarter more accurate QB.

#3- KS is going no where unless his father gets canned. No way will MS ruin that relationship, but MS might take over more of the OC duties while leaving the title to his son.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:

A full offseason and I'd bet Orton would be more proficient than Rex will ever be in this offense. Rex simply isn't a starting QB in this league. Orton is flat out the better player.