Haskins released

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2020, 05:18 AM   #211
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Haskins released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I don't know man. This defense is good and has played well, but they've also played the 4th easiest schedule in the NFL, and four of the six wins came against backup quarterbacks.

Plenty of work to be done. Can't be trading away D-linemen, and gotta shore up the LB position, but I like the state of the safety position with Collins, Curl, Everett, Reaves, Apke.
I agree with not shaving off pieces of the D for the sake of it, to help the O, which already ties up a lot of cap space.

But Apke should be gone in the offseason, and possibly Collins too if we can work something out. And we can't ignore opportunities that present themselves to improve the QB and WR situation in FA/pre-draft if they offer a clear means to improve either.

WR should be addressable in FA with at least 2-3 top tier receivers available. We will likely draft OL, LB, DB and TE at least. If a good/top QB prospect is there when we pick, great, but we can't just ignore the possibility of a vet being a good alternative to an unproven rookie. So if they can persuade AS to retire I'd definitely bring someone in like Fitz with current experience and something still in the tank who can produce next year.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #212
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/1344423831751028736

Most telling item from Ron Rivera’s Wednesday press conference. #WashingtonFootball

Asked if this team could still contend for the playoffs if Smith wasn’t here?

Ron: “Well, if we had a healthy Kyle Allen, I think we could have. I really do. I think we could’ve.”

100% totally agree. It’s a little bit of a hint of where he stands on the team and he is still in their plans.

I also think they don’t feel pressed to make rash decisions at the position.

I think the most obvious positions the Skins need to make changes and where money/draft capital should be spent: WR and LB.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #213
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Bottom line for me - don't trade any D-linemen, keep all the draft picks (unless there's a chance to maneuver a little to get your future QB in the draft), start to extend some contracts for guys that will be the core of this team moving forward, upgrade the QB, Oline, WR, TE, and LB positions via free agency, bring back Heinicke, draft a QB, and win the SB.

THIS .. especially the bolded part. But this whole paragraph is spot on.

Given how RR and gang operated in the free agent market last year, I expect them to lean more on the draft, supplementing the roster with capable, under-the-radar type free agents. Sometimes a gem will be uncovered (Logan Thomas), but more often than not, we'll find decent depth that can fill in when injuries hit.

Having said that ... they may swing for the fences on one guy again (like they tried with Amari Cooper last year) ... so ... they could go after one of those big $$$ QB's out there.

But I think they really want to build this roster via the draft. Last year's was pretty productive so far. We do that again, we'll be on our way.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #214
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Getting 6 starters on low end FA contracts this year should win Front Office exec of the year for someone if we make the playoffs
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #215
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Getting 6 starters on low end FA contracts this year should win Front Office exec of the year for someone if we make the playoffs
For sure
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #216
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Try telling that to Ron who wants to bring his retread buddy Hurney.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:05 PM   #217
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Journalisic supposition. Right now RR is focusing on the season and I don't think he has given the front office that much thought, that, like player contracts, is something he will sort out when the season is done, I will give him the benefit of the doubt given the results so far
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #218
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
You mean his buddy and him who got the team to 15-1 and the Super Bowl? Yeah that sure would suck after the last 25 years....
Old 12-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #219
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
You mean his buddy and him who got the team to 15-1 and the Super Bowl? Yeah that sure would suck after the last 25 years....
You mean his buddy responsible for 3 winning seasons in 9 years, oh yeah.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-31-2020, 07:48 PM   #220
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
You mean his buddy responsible for 3 winning seasons in 9 years, oh yeah.
Sorry but if you dig deeper.....of course it takes a couple years to build a 2-14 team up, so there will be a few years with losing seasons. One year with a 7-9 record they won the division. The last two years the biggest reason they had a losing record was because Cam was out. Also in their division the Saints and Falcons were both very good most of the time. I don’t know if Smith is your guy or something, but he’s not irreplaceable.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #221
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Sorry but if you dig deeper.....of course it takes a couple years to build a 2-14 team up, so there will be a few years with losing seasons. One year with a 7-9 record they won the division. The last two years the biggest reason they had a losing record was because Cam was out. Also in their division the Saints and Falcons were both very good most of the time. I don’t know if Smith is your guy or something, but he’s not irreplaceable.
Bottom line Hurney sucks compared to Smith. If Smith leaves you'll see the talent will decline. I've watched football long enough to know evaluators like Smith don't grow on trees. I'm tired of 29 years of losing and mediocre talent, we finally have a young guy that is building this team into a possible powerhouse and you are going to replace him with an old mediocre evaluator? No thanks, one 15-1 season in 9 seasons doesn't do shit for me.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #222
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Bottom line Hurney sucks compared to Smith. If Smith leaves you'll see the talent will decline. I've watched football long enough to know evaluators like Smith don't grow on trees. I'm tired of 29 years of losing and mediocre talent, we finally have a young guy that is building this team into a possible powerhouse and you are going to replace him with an old mediocre evaluator? No thanks, one 15-1 season in 9 seasons doesn't do shit for me.
Ok well that’s your opinion.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:11 PM   #223
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok well that’s just like your opinion, man.
Fixed it

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:50 PM   #224
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Fixed it
Dude...
Old 01-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #225
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Are we really talking up a guy because ONE TIME they made a super bowl appearance?

You know who else did that, SUPER BOWL APPEARING COACH JEFF FISHER.

Ron Rivera did 9 seasons in Carolina and only 4 of those seasons were considered "winning" seasons. The other years, he finished either 6-10 or 7-9. When he was fired during his last season, he was at 5-7 but for all we know he could have went 5-11.

I'm still skeptical of Ron because I don't think he is this savior for this franchise like so many people thought, but I am willing to trust him for a few seasons to see if he can succeed where everyone else has failed.

But I also don't like seeing so many ex Panthers hired. At times it seems like we are the Washington Football Panthers. I would rather see them go a new way with a fresh face as GM instead of always getting re-tread, fired guys to come here.