Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Media Bias

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Media Bias

The 2 bottom posted articles that blame police, so that's part of the narrative I'm talking bout. It only makes news if it incriminates the police as the problem for folks picking up guns and shooting one another. This thinking doesn't make sense.

Could the policing improve in Chicago...yup, I think so. Are the motive for these killings is becuase the community hates police? It doesn't make sense.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

Media Bias

July isn't recent?? Google news has plenty of more recent ones if it suits your fancy. Not sure I'd say it's an issue that's being ignored.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Chicago+violence+news+
Old 08-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I just pointed out the dates. I googled as well. Point is Zika, which hasn't done nearly as much damage, is in the news daily, with 14 confirmed cases, maybe, just maybe, 65 murders in a month demands as much national attention.

maybe not, who knows which lives matter anymore.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Disease is always the sexier story I guess.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Another story being way under reported is the Isis/Syrian/Iraq conflict. Why is this important: the most well financed, well armed, largest terrorist organization of all time. They are a well oiled machine and our currently they are responsible for acts of terror at the at an enormous rate in something like twenty-some countries over the last 3 year. Scope people. They are committing genocide openingly and proudly broadcasting it. Even the most evil of past regimes would go through a lot to cover up genocide and war crimes.

Once again the media is ignoring it and covering it in very limited basis. Instead of the media asking the administration tough questions...they look the other way. You don't see editorials or opinions that our critical of the administration current policy.

When folks look back at these atrocities, it's clear we could have done more to save lives across the world. They will wonder why we were so weak during this time period. I mean the pope came out and said we are at war...

All right I'll stop my bitching, I just think around the country we are paying attention to the wrong things and we will continue to pay a heavy price until things change. I think the media has done a pretty terrible job of honest reporting.

Reactive type thinking, headline grabbing stories with little substance and worst of all :editorial and opinion rather than fact based reporting has really not help our society deal with obvious problem.

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 08-01-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #21
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Disease is always the sexier story I guess.

Finally I get to post this article!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...exy-again.html
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

For the scientifically challenged among us, Zika has the potential to cause a massive number of birth defects and do damage to a very large number of lives. It's a scary story because of the potential considerations for anybody looking to get pregnant and travel to South Florida or Central America.

Researchers don't currently have a great understanding of the illness, how it causes the birth defects, how to detect it often enough, and how to prevent transmission.

It's not the number of problems it has caused so far that matters, it's the potential for the number it could cause.

Gun violence in Chicago is daily life. There's no news story there. What changed? Why is it different? So why would it be a big headline?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

It's all Obama's fault
Old 08-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
For the scientifically challenged among us, Zika has the potential to cause a massive number of birth defects and do damage to a very large number of lives. It's a scary story because of the potential considerations for anybody looking to get pregnant and travel to South Florida or Central America.

Researchers don't currently have a great understanding of the illness, how it causes the birth defects, how to detect it often enough, and how to prevent transmission.

It's not the number of problems it has caused so far that matters, it's the potential for the number it could cause.

Gun violence in Chicago is daily life. There's no news story there. What changed? Why is it different? So why would it be a big headline?
Well that's kinda the point. Its not because anybody is ignorant, its because the media has not informed folks around the country that it hasn't been just a normal 5 years of typical violence within Chicago...this year especially has been terrible. Its been an epidemic.

It does buck the trend of violence in the country has been down across the country and it puts away the case for gun control because Chicago has the strictest in the country. But most wouldn't know Chicago has the strictest gun control...its not covered because it doesn't support the narrative.

The only time Chicago had any REAL coverage this year was the release of the video showing the police officer basically commit murder of the young man with the knife. The truth is Police involved killings have been WAYYYYY down over the last 5 years in Chicago. How would you know that? Well, you wouldn't because that doesn't support a media driven narrative of young minorities are being hunted by police. Its complete and utter nonsense.

The media has supported efforts in an attempt to almost entice them for coverage opportunities. Editorials, Opinions are passed off as facts, which is incorrect and violates principle ethics of journalism. When you sensationalize stories for ratings, advertisements or clicks by tapping in emotional issues, Im sorry, you are part of the problem. Look what happened in Baton Rouge and in Dallas with the killings of police.....it was never BLM or protest groups over very real problems within some communities across the country....it was the driving of high emotional issues on a 24/7/365 news cycle with little facts or rationale.

He Gets Us
Old 08-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

We're in an age of information overload. Ultimately it falls on people to be critical thinkers and to not take things at face value.

"Think for yourself and question authority".
Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Well that's kinda the point. Its not because anybody is ignorant, its because the media has not informed folks around the country that it hasn't been just a normal 5 years of typical violence within Chicago...this year especially has been terrible. Its been an epidemic.

It does buck the trend of violence in the country has been down across the country and it puts away the case for gun control because Chicago has the strictest in the country. But most wouldn't know Chicago has the strictest gun control...its not covered because it doesn't support the narrative.

The only time Chicago had any REAL coverage this year was the release of the video showing the police officer basically commit murder of the young man with the knife. The truth is Police involved killings have been WAYYYYY down over the last 5 years in Chicago. How would you know that? Well, you wouldn't because that doesn't support a media driven narrative of young minorities are being hunted by police. Its complete and utter nonsense.

The media has supported efforts in an attempt to almost entice them for coverage opportunities. Editorials, Opinions are passed off as facts, which is incorrect and violates principle ethics of journalism. When you sensationalize stories for ratings, advertisements or clicks by tapping in emotional issues, Im sorry, you are part of the problem. Look what happened in Baton Rouge and in Dallas with the killings of police.....it was never BLM or protest groups over very real problems within some communities across the country....it was the driving of high emotional issues on a 24/7/365 news cycle with little facts or rationale.
What are the stats in Chicago? How many firearm murders this year vs previous years?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

sorry for the delayed response:
These numbers are from:
http://heyjackass.com/category/2016-stats/
YTD 2016:
Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 370
Shot & Wounded: 2087
Total Shot: 2457
Total Homicides: 410

JULY 2016:
Shot & Killed: 66
Shot & Wounded: 382
Total Shot: 448
Total Homicides: 71

4 days into August:
August to Date
Shot & Killed: 5
Shot & Wounded: 33
Total Shot: 38
Total Homicides: 7

July 2016 Final Stupidity Tally: 71 killed, 382 wounded
July 2015: 58 dead, 271 wounded
July 2014: 46 dead, 277 wounded

Graphic below is 1st quarter only. (That's what came up when I googled Chicago Homicide Rate)

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 08-04-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #28
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

NBC exec: 'Negative stories good for ad sales'

Benefits from pushing negative news stories. This isn't from a garbage mid-level associate...but an executive who has a say in the strategy of the company.

He Gets Us
Old 08-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Well - Chicago violence got on the front page of CNN:

Chicago police release video related to shooting of unarmed man - CNN.com
Old 08-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #30
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We're in an age of information overload. Ultimately it falls on people to be critical thinkers and to not take things at face value.

"Think for yourself and question authority".

Exactly what I am saying. Again, amazing that after all the human race has accomplished that we cannot grasp this.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote