Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The Home Improvement Thread

Parking Lot

Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: The Home Improvement Thread

Just got to read all your posts and I really appreciate all the input.

The house is a new build, so we won't really know about any existing plumbing issues. Also, if people are saying Sheetrock is cheaper, I would definitely do that route. The workout room will be the only closed room really while the rest of the basement would be around 1000-1200 sq. ft.

Monkeydad, I actually didn't mind the look of those at all.

Everyone else: I think we can offset the cost of hiring a pro to do the ceiling since my dad and I can do the walls and floors.

So based on what everyone said, I THINK I'm gonna' go with Sheetrock. Thanks all!

Advertisements
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think you may be wrong. Drywall is pretty time consuming.

The Advantage of a Suspended Ceiling vs. Drywall
Of all the DIY projects you complete for your home, remodeling a room is the most rewarding. All the while you’re working on it, you imagine the beautiful room that is evolving under your creative direction and energies. If your project list includes a ceiling treatment, you may be wondering whether to install a suspended ceiling or a drywall ceiling. There are a number of good reasons DIYers choose suspended ceilings. Let’s look at a few.
With a suspended, or “drop,” ceiling, a grid of metal hangs by wires from the ceiling support beams. With the suspension system in place, you simply drop lightweight tiles or panels into each cell of the grid. Suspended ceilings come in a kit, pre-finished, and ready to install with common household tools. The critical part of the installation is leveling your suspended ceiling. A laser level takes only a few minutes to set up and will easily determine precise height measurements.
From start to finish, more physical work goes into a drywall ceiling vs. a suspended ceiling. Drywall sheets average about 60 lbs. and hoisting them up to the ceiling requires two sets of sturdy arms or a drywall lift. After the drywall is attached to the ceiling beams, there is still a lot of finishing work to do, including covering screw heads, sanding and painting.
You can complete a suspended ceiling installation in a weekend. Drywall will take longer due to extended drying and sanding times. As any enthusiastic DIYer knows, time is always of the essence in a remodeling project!
The biggest advantage suspended ceilings have over drywall is that you have easy access to plumbing, cable and electrical wiring and duct work – all of which can be smartly tucked above the grid. Also, if any maintenance issues arise, you simply remove a ceiling tile. If a tile gets damaged, it’s easy to replace it. Any damage done to drywall means tearing down the affected sheet and replacing it with a new one . . . and more prep, sanding and painting.
When it comes to inspiring design, drywall will leave you high and dry, while suspended ceiling options offer unique sizes and styles, like beautiful coffered panels and classic tin looks that can add flair, dimension and warmth to your space. Suspended ceiling tiles also come in paintable white so you can color coordinate the tiles with your walls and floors.
When investing your time and effort in a ceiling remodeling project, you’ll get a better return and beautiful looks by choosing a suspended ceiling.
I've done both. Doing drop ceilings well can be hard. I hate doing sheet rock too but never a drop again. I actually have sworn to never do sheet rock either. I'll build my next house myself but I'll hire someone to sheet rock it. Pros do such a better job and like 10x as fast.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I was looking at some estimate websites and I'm reading it should cost around 1500-2000 for materials and labor. Does that sound about right?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I was looking at some estimate websites and I'm reading it should cost around 1500-2000 for materials and labor. Does that sound about right?
for what part?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Maintenace is also more on a drop, When the tiles get dirty you replace them at $4 a pop. Sheet rock you paint with a $25 gallon of paint.
How does a ceilings get dirty? They show leaks but so does sheet rock.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Maintenace is also more on a drop, When the tiles get dirty you replace them at $4 a pop. Sheet rock you paint with a $25 gallon of paint.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
for what part?
Sheetrock ceiling and labor.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
How big is the room?

I plan to fix some cracks in my plaster within the year, and I plan on doing it via drywall. DIY of course.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
How is that stuff? I have a water stain on one of my ceilings, I'm not crazy about the idea of re-painting the whole damn thing so is this stuff any good?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
That seems high. Especially considering there are plenty of contractors needing work. Is the room huge?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
How is that stuff? I have a water stain on one of my ceilings, I'm not crazy about the idea of re-painting the whole damn thing so is this stuff any good?
Seems worth a shot. At worst you paid a few bucks and still need to repaint the whole thing. At best you saved some money and a bunch of time.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
That's for painting ceiling tiles in a drop ceiling. If you need to paint buy those 18" rollers it cuts the time in half.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #28
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
That seems high. Especially considering there are plenty of contractors needing work. Is the room huge?
Pretty big. For both rooms, it'll be around 1600-1700 sq. ft.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

Drop ceiling is much more practical, dads are right as usual. Don't you have any electrical running along the ceiling in your basement? We did. How about your backup FiOS battery, or whatever other support system you have for phone. All that kind of stuff needs to remain accessible.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #30
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Drop ceiling is much more practical, dads are right as usual. Don't you have any electrical running along the ceiling in your basement? We did. How about your backup FiOS battery, or whatever other support system you have for phone. All that kind of stuff needs to remain accessible.
Dude who stores their Fios battery in the ceiling? Mine is on the wall in the unfinished part of my basement. With your logic the whole house should be drop ceiling. Might as well move into a office building.