Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

U.S. Vacation Spots

Parking Lot

Old 10-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #46
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: U.S. Vacation Spots

Anybody looking for a good deal right now, Southwest is running sale fares through Thursday. Saw some good prices on there.

Nonstop/one way
BWI to:

Boston $50
Cancun $179
Ft. Lauderdale $79
Midway $89
Vegas or LA $150

I think the fares only apply through the end of this year though.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #47
SunnySide
Playmaker

First time using airbnb. Its the offseason but just booked an oceanfront room in Myrtle Beach for like $39 a night.

is airbnb really that cheap? i think I changed the way I forever plan vacations.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #48
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
First time using airbnb. Its the offseason but just booked an oceanfront room in Myrtle Beach for like $39 a night.

is airbnb really that cheap? i think I changed the way I forever plan vacations.
Considering what's going on and the hit place's have taken it's a possibility.

You driving or flying down?
Old 10-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #49
SunnySide
Playmaker

Driving. About 6.5 hours from DC area. I love driving. ill stop if I see a funky little store or diner.

With covid, Im no where near flying. Even this is kinda too much of a risk for me.

I have a big immediate family, both my parents are still alive and it seems like every other week its someones birthday or some get to together so Im still trying to limit my exposure.

Ive eaten in restaurants a few times now but mostly take out.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #50
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I think Montana is my next vacation.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #51
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Driving. About 6.5 hours from DC area. I love driving. ill stop if I see a funky little store or diner.

With covid, Im no where near flying. Even this is kinda too much of a risk for me.

I have a big immediate family, both my parents are still alive and it seems like every other week its someones birthday or some get to together so Im still trying to limit my exposure.

Check out Tannersville, NY. We went snowboarding at Hunter Mountain last winter. Stayed at a hotel called Villa Vosilla. The restaurant there looks straight out of Goodfellas. We ate at Last Chance Cheese and Antiques great food and beer selection. Had dinner at Pancho Villa's too. Both are great.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #52
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I think Montana is my next vacation.
Montana is awesome. It has been over a decade but used to go out there to elk hunt. I have tried to convince my wife to move over there.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #53
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

My first time using Airbnb was in NYC 7 years ago, paid $30 a night to stay in the Bronx for 4 nights. I started traveling heavy 3 years ago and it's always been my go-to when I need to stay somewhere on the cheap.

Not sure if you prefer renting entire houses/apts. vs. just a room but for me the price means willing to accept compromises vs. renting a hotel room. For me the big one is sharing a bathroom. If I'm staying somewhere for several days, I like spread my toiletries out which I can't do in a shared bathroom.

Also I usually stock up on yogurt for a quick and a cheap breakfast in the morning and occasionally I've gone to the fridge to discover someone else ate it. Nitpicking on this one but it annoys me when it happens.

The other complaint I have is showing up to a place to discover the owner doesn't live there. I find when the owner lives there they tend to be very accessible and upfront about any needs or concerns you have. If the owner doesn't live there and is just renting all the rooms out on Airbnb then everything tends to be super cheap, i.e. flimsy mattresses that give me back pain, cheap towels, thin pillows that barely even qualify to be called a pillow. I hurt my back sleeping on a terrible mattress for 4 nights in Toronto last year.

TL;DR: Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it ain't. I still use it all the time though, mainly in places where a 2 star motel can still be around $100 a night.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #54
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

I wanna say closer to 7.5 -8 hours. Still a nice ride ,are you thinking of stopping at "South of the Boarder"?

https://www.sobpedro.com/
Old 01-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #55
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

This year might look similar to last year in terms of COVID, at least the 1st half, actual vacation trips might be rare again.

Does anyone have any trips planned for this year as of today?

I'm planning on moving out of state this year, so no actual vacations for me. Gonna start another thread about moving momentarily.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #56
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
This year might look similar to last year in terms of COVID, at least the 1st half, actual vacation trips might be rare again.

Does anyone have any trips planned for this year as of today?

I'm planning on moving out of state this year, so no actual vacations for me. Gonna start another thread about moving momentarily.
Currently no plans, I booked a flight to Chicago for Februrary because Southwest had a fantastic sale where they were offering 1 way for $39, but my plan is to keep rescheduling it until COVID calms down. Also have a May flight booked for BWI-LA that I bought when it was on sale, but same story with that too. Just buying now because prices are insanely cheap but I don't on flying anywhere until COVID numbers aren't sky high. In the meantime I'll still take some roadtrips here or there.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #57
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Currently no plans, I booked a flight to Chicago for Februrary because Southwest had a fantastic sale where they were offering 1 way for $39, but my plan is to keep rescheduling it until COVID calms down. Also have a May flight booked for BWI-LA that I bought when it was on sale, but same story with that too. Just buying now because prices are insanely cheap but I don't on flying anywhere until COVID numbers aren't sky high. In the meantime I'll still take some roadtrips here or there.
Smart strategy. Buy now, hope for the the best, and use the funds later instead if needed.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #58
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Any updates on the vacation plans? We're in a weird middle spot now. COVID is still infecting people, but people are starting to get vaccinated, and we're slowly re-opening.

My last vacation was January 2020. It was an awkward month for me to go on a trip. But COVID ended up making it a lucky decision. I'm ready to go somewhere again.

Anyone else have any plans or looking into locking down a trip?
Old 03-18-2021, 05:44 AM   #59
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Doing a weekend trip to NJ ,need to take care of some family things , no vacation .
Old 03-18-2021, 05:45 AM   #60
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Any updates on the vacation plans? We're in a weird middle spot now. COVID is still infecting people, but people are starting to get vaccinated, and we're slowly re-opening.

My last vacation was January 2020. It was an awkward month for me to go on a trip. But COVID ended up making it a lucky decision. I'm ready to go somewhere again.

Anyone else have any plans or looking into locking down a trip?
I booked two flights for this year because Southwest is having a sale every week it seems. Going to Cali/Vegas for the first time hopefully in May and going to Denver this fall. Assuming vaccinations keep up the pace I'm hoping everything will be back to semi-normal in May.