Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

To 2021 and Beyond .... current politics

Debating with the enemy

Old 03-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: To 2021 and Beyond .... current politics

Not a fan of Cuomo in regards to the nursing home fiasco but I am pretty ignorant of him.. I really don't pay attention to politicians outside my state unless they are national level then that is my tax dollars paying their salary.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Not a fan of Cuomo in regards to the nursing home fiasco but I am pretty ignorant of him.. I really don't pay attention to politicians outside my state unless they are national level then that is my tax dollars paying their salary.
I'll accept that I'm partisan (which I am regardless), rather than go back thru all those comments. I moved on from Trump in November, hopefully NY can move on from Cuomo soon.

I am fairly critical of republicans too. But I'm definitely more critical of democrats.

Edit - Just now noticed, I totally replied to the wrong post. This was meant to be in reply to Punch's comment above yours.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 03-10-2021 at 12:22 AM.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
SunnySide
Playmaker

A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said the agency has offered local communities funding for testing, but it needs the state to sign off first: “We hope that Governor Abbott will reconsider his decision to reject DHS’s agreement with the Texan local authorities that would enable the very testing of migrant families that Governor Abbott says he wants.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...h=482d38c37ae7

"We hope that Governor Abbott will reconsider his decision to reject DHS's agreement with the Texan local authorities that would enable the very testing of migrant families that Governor Abbott says he wants," the spokesperson said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/polit...ing/index.html

Gov. Greg Abbott appeared this week to rebuff help from the federal government to give coronavirus testing to migrants before they are released from federal custody, saying it's a federal responsibility to screen immigrants coming into Texas.

The announcement came after Abbott, a Republican, repeatedly accused the administration of Democratic President Joe Biden of “releasing immigrants in South Texas that have been exposing Texans to COVID.” The Biden administration denied that Thursday, and CNN reported that Abbott was “stalling” on a federal offer to pitch in on testing migrants.

Asked for evidence of that claim, Abbott's office pointed to news reports from NBC News, Fox News and the New York Post earlier this week that 108 migrants had tested positive since Jan. 25 in Brownsville after being released by federal authorities.

The testing in Brownsville was reportedly administered by the city. NBC reported that 6.3% of the migrants tested were confirmed to have the coronavirus. That rate is smaller than the positivity rate statewide, in which an average of 8.3% of tests came back positive over the past seven days. The 108 tests over the past five weeks is a small share of the more than 3,800 confirmed cases in Cameron County reported by the state since Jan. 25.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03...rants-testing/
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said the agency has offered local communities funding for testing, but it needs the state to sign off first: “We hope that Governor Abbott will reconsider his decision to reject DHS’s agreement with the Texan local authorities that would enable the very testing of migrant families that Governor Abbott says he wants.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...h=482d38c37ae7

"We hope that Governor Abbott will reconsider his decision to reject DHS's agreement with the Texan local authorities that would enable the very testing of migrant families that Governor Abbott says he wants," the spokesperson said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/polit...ing/index.html

Gov. Greg Abbott appeared this week to rebuff help from the federal government to give coronavirus testing to migrants before they are released from federal custody, saying it's a federal responsibility to screen immigrants coming into Texas.

The announcement came after Abbott, a Republican, repeatedly accused the administration of Democratic President Joe Biden of “releasing immigrants in South Texas that have been exposing Texans to COVID.” The Biden administration denied that Thursday, and CNN reported that Abbott was “stalling” on a federal offer to pitch in on testing migrants.

Asked for evidence of that claim, Abbott's office pointed to news reports from NBC News, Fox News and the New York Post earlier this week that 108 migrants had tested positive since Jan. 25 in Brownsville after being released by federal authorities.

The testing in Brownsville was reportedly administered by the city. NBC reported that 6.3% of the migrants tested were confirmed to have the coronavirus. That rate is smaller than the positivity rate statewide, in which an average of 8.3% of tests came back positive over the past seven days. The 108 tests over the past five weeks is a small share of the more than 3,800 confirmed cases in Cameron County reported by the state since Jan. 25.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03...rants-testing/
Maybe I am misinterpreting here. This is federal policy when an asylum seeker reaches US soil correct? But the local government is paying for testing? That seems off to me.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:36 AM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Thoughts on the H.R. 1 Bill?
Old 03-10-2021, 01:52 AM   #6
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Talking Re: To 2021 and Beyond .... current politics

In regards to asylum. What is a legitimate reason for it to be accepted? It basically feels like anyone from any country not as good as America (which is all of them), should be able to claim asylum.

Does anyone think that every person that comes here illegally is coming for asylum or that they just want to be here (which I don't blame them for)? And even if they are claiming asylum because they think it's truly justified, does anyone think the government is setting up asylum hearings for everyone, and when they don't show up, trying to find them and deport them back?

Illegal immigration is a problem in this country and so is the process the government has created. All this talk about reform has been going on since Reagan, at least. Where the hell is the reform? Does it take 100 years? The people in charge don't care about reform. But not enough Americans demand actual change, so the same cycles go on and on.

Note - I have a tendency to get frustrated and make sweeping generalizations. This is the only place I actually regularly talk about politics. Doesn't justify it, but I take my frustrations in general, out here. So you guys see me at my political worst very often. And I love all y'all, but it's still different without actually meeting anyone ever. Gonna try to ask more questions and set up a possibility for actual conversation. Bear with me, if even my questions still seem one-sided. That'll be a work in progress.

Go Washington!!
Old 03-10-2021, 03:22 AM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

United Teachers Los Angeles:

"If you are planning any trips for Spring Break, please keep that off of Social Media. It is hard to argue that it is unsafe for in-person instruction, if parents and the public see vacation photos and international travel."

What are they even Spring Breaking from lol? Not working must be tough.

But the hilarious part is they aren't saying don't take Spring Break vacations during a pandemic, where we're not doing our jobs because COVID is too dangerous, it's take the vacations, just leave the cell phones in the hotel room.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

"Progress"

Arkansas Passes Near-Total Abortion Ban As Lawmakers Push For Supreme Court Case
Old 03-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #9
nonniey
The Starter

Problem is the extremists on both sides drive the legislation and lawsuits on this issue. It is the whole loaf or nothing position which is what Arkansas is trying here.
The US allows for the most extreme abortion permissions on the planet. Most Americans want abortion to be legal but with some actual restrictions - right now states are permitted to have abortions with no restrictions if they so choose (ie Vermont, NY etc.). Arkansas should have pushed for legal abortions in the 1st trimester with strong restrictions after that. But no they pass a law that will get thrown out because they want to ban all abortions.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:42 AM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Problem is the extremists on both sides drive the legislation and lawsuits on this issue. It is the whole loaf or nothing position which is what Arkansas is trying here.
The US allows for the most extreme abortion permissions on the planet. Most Americans want abortion to be legal but with some actual restrictions - right now states are permitted to have abortions with no restrictions if they so choose (ie Vermont, NY etc.). Arkansas should have pushed for legal abortions in the 1st trimester with strong restrictions after that. But no they pass a law that will get thrown out because they want to ban all abortions.
Really?

I feel like your perspective is lacking because any woman who carries a baby into the second and third trimester is someone who wants the baby. Most women who get second/third trimester abortions do so because the pregnancy is unviable and the mother or baby's life is at risk.

Imagine carrying a baby for 3-6 months and then deciding nahhh, flush that shit out of me. How many women do you know of have done that?
Old 03-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #11
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Really?

I feel like your perspective is lacking because any woman who carries a baby into the second and third trimester is someone who wants the baby. Most women who get second/third trimester abortions do so because the pregnancy is unviable and the mother or baby's life is at risk.

Imagine carrying a baby for 3-6 months and then deciding nahhh, flush that shit out of me. How many women do you know of have done that?
Yes really, and yes it is likely most women who get a late term abortion have to for medical reasons. You said it yourself - most.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Yes really, and yes it is likely most women who get a late term abortion have to for medical reasons. You said it yourself - most.
Vermont had 1204 abortions in 2018. 20 were performed at 21 weeks or later.

I would assume that those 20 involved women who wanted to carry to birth but had to abort for medical reasons. But idk.

Abortions after 21 weeks or so is so small a percent, I dont think that abortion laws should be based on that 1% and ignoring the other 99%. .. unless you think all abortions should be illegal, then you tunnel vision on that 1% as guiding your argument
Old 03-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #13
SunnySide
Playmaker

Abortion .. pro choice .. pro life ... thats always a hard one for me. I think most reasonable heads agree there should be a time line where you can only have an abortion if it is medically necessary and recommended.

But I understand if people thinks its murder, theres no concession from them. My problem with that segment is that they are usually very religious so they say at conception vs doctors who define life as when the fetus would be viable outside womb. I strongly disagree with religion steering politics.

Besides .. doesnt the bible say a baby gets its soul at its quickening when it takes its first breath after birth and God enters and gives the baby its soul?

91% of abortions are within the first 13 weeks

1.4% of abortions occur after 21 weeks

24 weeks - around the time the fetus would be viable outside womb

Did you know that the "clock" starts the day after their last period ends. So a woman could go almost 5-6 weeks before starting to wonder whey her period is late and then reasonably take steps to take a test.

----

I think:

- there should be a 24 hour waiting period. Woman gets consult, then they set appointment at earliest 24 hours from then

- Given literature on adoption options and counseling on that area if they want it

- any abortion after 22 weeks would need a doctor approval

- any abortion after 26 weeks would need doctor approval and medical necessity
Old 03-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
Giantone
Gamebreaker

No man should have any say on whether Abortion should be legal.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #15
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
No man should have any say on whether Abortion should be legal.

Was coming in here to point out the comedy of a bunch of dudes deciding what is best for women. I am sure they will be taking all of our advice into consideration. Lol.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote