Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-08-2021, 12:34 AM   #1546
Scalper

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Watson has earned 40Million Cash so far. The Texans aren't bankrupting him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I'm not going to regurgitate my previous posts.
He has less than $20M after taxes agent fees and has easily blown at least $10M. I'd bet he has less than $5M in bank or short-term liquid assets by conventional balance sheet reckon. His $30M last year included $27M signing bonus prorated at $7.xM last year, $5.4M next four years. It is not salary he collected free and clear without obligation, like normal salary, it is a bonus against future performance, which is again why him holding out is so atrocious. He sits out games holding out, team can go after him for bonus, plus fine him just under $4M a year. So if he holds out and team goes after bonus, yes he will be bankrupt very quick, as I explained previous post, especially because he can't get the taxes he paid or agent fees he paid back. Wilson shows up week 11 next year, team can go after him for $3.375M of bonus, and he only gets about $4M in salary for 30% of season, which fines approach or exceed. So next year he would earn nothing or less than $1M in salary, and owe team $3.4M in bonus. Your post looks at raw income without the qualitative factor of what form of income it was. 68% of what Watson has earned is signing bonus, and he is on hook for huge percentage of that if he holds out.

But even if he doesn't go bankrupt, he has 5-8 years of top earning potential, the owners earn forever owning the team. Every year Watson holds out he is the big loser because his window of his prime is finite and closing. Houston will let him wither on the vine holding out, just on principle. Serves the turd right for signing a huge deal and then having no loyalty. McDonald's is always hiring. :-)
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #1547
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I'm with you, with all the reasons to keep him, I think if one team is willing to put an absolute block-buster never seen before offer, you take it rather than dragging yourself into a lose-lose situation... Because if Deshaun starts sitting games, he'll lose money, but they'll lose trade leverage.
But that's not how billionaires think. Especially not Texans ownership. They aren't caving ever. It is about real world up yours for screwing me, not about winning on the field.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:42 AM   #1548
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
No but your odds are surely increased drafting a QB high. A Tom Brady is a once in a generation find.

I still think at the end of the day, the Redskins Twitter and Social Media base are ravenous for a fix/winner/franchise QB, but as Ron’s history has shown, he’s going to play the calculated, methodical, fiscally responsible long game and not bet the farm on big name FAs like we have been known to do in this franchise for so long. We as a fan base have been conditioned to expect splash moves and don’t know how to handle the ups and downs without it. Ron’s not ready to pull the trigger on Deshaun or trading it all in for moving up to take a top 5 QB prospect. He’s going to continue to do his homework, draft well, pick up value free agents that fit what he’s looking for and fill a need, and continue to fill out the starting roster and depth so that when it’s time, and we are ready, he can go get that QB that puts us over the top.
Yes, odds better high, but price of trading up to that spot not worth it.
And you don't have to hope for a 6th round franchise QB. There is a huge chasm of draft space between top-10 and 6th round. Lots of franchise QBs drafted late 1st round. Harder but far from impossible, especially with long term view. Sometime in the next 3 drafts a QB that turns out to be a franchise QB will be available to us in 1st or 2nd round, in historical statistical sense.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #1549
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
It does when you’re down several first and second round picks due to previous trades.
I disagree. Yeah they are at a disadvantage but 1st rounders miss all the time. They have the most important position taken care of.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #1550
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
I'm not going to regurgitate my previous posts.
He has less than $20M after taxes agent fees and has easily blown at least $10M. I'd bet he has less than $5M in bank or short-term liquid assets by conventional balance sheet reckon. His $30M last year included $27M signing bonus prorated at $7.xM last year, $5.4M next four years. It is not salary he collected free and clear without obligation, like normal salary, it is a bonus against future performance, which is again why him holding out is so atrocious. He sits out games holding out, team can go after him for bonus, plus fine him just under $4M a year. So if he holds out and team goes after bonus, yes he will be bankrupt very quick, as I explained previous post, especially because he can't get the taxes he paid or agent fees he paid back. Wilson shows up week 11 next year, team can go after him for $3.375M of bonus, and he only gets about $4M in salary for 30% of season, which fines approach or exceed. So next year he would earn nothing or less than $1M in salary, and owe team $3.4M in bonus. Your post looks at raw income without the qualitative factor of what form of income it was. 68% of what Watson has earned is signing bonus, and he is on hook for huge percentage of that if he holds out.

But even if he doesn't go bankrupt, he has 5-8 years of top earning potential, the owners earn forever owning the team. Every year Watson holds out he is the big loser because his window of his prime is finite and closing. Houston will let him wither on the vine holding out, just on principle. Serves the turd right for signing a huge deal and then having no loyalty. McDonald's is always hiring. :-)
Thank you.

I'd also like to add I kinda see Scalper's point here.

In a rational world with a rational owner, Cal McNair and Jack Easterby would realize they have an unhappy asset worth beaucoup assets, and they would open the trade market for him.

But McNair and Easterby seem to operate on Snyder/Allen lines. Are they petty enough to not even entertain offers? Yes. Will Watson sit out a year? Yes. In our situation with Trent, Snyder and co. blinked first. I think McNair and Easterby will too eventually, even if it's not this year.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #1551
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Thank you.

I'd also like to add I kinda see Scalper's point here.

In a rational world with a rational owner, Cal McNair and Jack Easterby would realize they have an unhappy asset worth beaucoup assets, and they would open the trade market for him.

But McNair and Easterby seem to operate on Snyder/Allen lines. Are they petty enough to not even entertain offers? Yes. Will Watson sit out a year? Yes. In our situation with Trent, Snyder and co. blinked first. I think McNair and Easterby will too eventually, even if it's not this year.
I get Scalper's point, the owners have far more leverage. And it's true to a point. But, megastar players have shown that they can and will force their way off of a team. And the fact is, some team will be ready to sign Watson as soon as the door is cracked open. Watson knows it, and if that means he has to live off of a measly 3 million dollars this year, or the next two years even, he has said he is going to do that. In the meantime Houston loses out this year and loses trade value in the meantime.

Bottomline, yes bad ownership can fight the battle, and win a pyrrhic victory but the megastar players are learning that they can manipulate the market to get where they want to go to, even if it means a small setback up front.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #1552
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I get Scalper's point, but I still don't think he's in any danger of going broke. The team may go after his bonus, fine him, etc. However, he also has a dozen or more endorsements including Nike, Snickers, Rolex, and Beats by Dre...

He'll be fine financially, and I still think the organization will ultimately give in as long as there is a willing trade partner.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #1553
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

"If the price is right, Sam Darnold's most likely destination is Washington" - Jeremy Fowler

I don't really hate it as long as it's not a 1 or 2
Old 03-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #1554
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
"If the price is right, Sam Darnold's most likely destination is Washington" - Jeremy Fowler

Unless they offer us a 1 or a 2 to take him off their hands?

Actually, would our 1st for their 2nd, 3rd and Darnold be feasible? We move down 13 slots but pick up an extra pick and a likely starting QB?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #1555
MTK
\m/

Quote:

my reaction to getting Darnold would be...

Old 03-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #1556
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Listening to Sheehan he keeps saying over and over the going rate for Darnold will be a 1.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #1557
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Unless they offer us a 1 or a 2 to take him off their hands?

Actually, would our 1st for their 2nd, 3rd and Darnold be feasible? We move down 13 slots but pick up an extra pick and a likely starting QB?
They have no reason to make a deal like that. They have the luxury to wait until draft day, when teams are really desperate, and get a better deal.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #1558
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
my reaction to getting Darnold would be...

Haha I am not too excited but the only game I ever watched was when he played Washington and had la career day by the end of the first half.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #1559
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

We are down to...

Darnold
Newton
Fitzmagic
Rookie
Old 03-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #1560
Chief X_Phackter