Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

This team is good.....but it's coaching that's holding it back

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #31
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: This team is good.....but it's coaching that's holding it back

Once again guys, if you don’t have a QB you won’t win consistently. It’s just that simple. You can have the weapons like we do but it doesn’t matter if the guy passing the ball can’t get it to them. The OL Isn’t good either so yes we definitely need to address both once again this off-season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #32
MTK
\m/

The offense has potential to be very good, imagine Cousins with these skill players? We'd be a serious force offensively. TH is at the bottom in most QB metrics and CW isn't very far ahead of him. Until we get that figured out we're going to be a .500 ish type of team at best.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #33
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The offense has potential to be very good, imagine Cousins with these skill players? We'd be a serious force offensively. TH is at the bottom in most QB metrics and CW isn't very far ahead of him. Until we get that figured out we're going to be a .500 ish type of team at best.
I just saw this QB rankings done by CBS:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...eep-on-rising/

I think you put any of the top 15 QBs on the list, and we would be a serious force offensively (with question marks on Purdy, Geno, and Fields).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #34
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

SF is winning due to their Run game and amazing defense. But that won’t happen every year for them. You still need a QB which is why they sold the farm for Lance who is still a huge ?.

For the folks that say we are not a QB away, I disagree. The offense is stacked with skill players , OL needs some help but with a QB like Herbert or Burrow, this team would be a SB contender

Old 12-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #35
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
SF is winning due to their Run game and amazing defense. But that won’t happen every year for them. You still need a QB which is why they sold the farm for Lance who is still a huge ?.

For the folks that say we are not a QB away, I disagree. The offense is stacked with skill players , OL needs some help but with a QB like Herbert or Burrow, this team would be a SB contender

A stud QB would completely change things on offense, no doubt. A couple of upgrades on the OL too and we'd be cooking with fire.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #36
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
A stud QB would completely change things on offense, no doubt. A couple of upgrades on the OL too and we'd be cooking with fire.

We’ve won 7 games and should be 8 or 9 with no QB lol. It’s actually impressive for this coaching staff can’t deny it.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #37
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Cousins on this team would be awesome. Oh well. Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:53 PM   #38
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

This team is good.....but it's coaching that's holding it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I just saw this QB rankings done by CBS:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...eep-on-rising/

I think you put any of the top 15 QBs on the list, and we would be a serious force offensively (with question marks on Purdy, Geno, and Fields).

100 percent. BUT (big but), we had one of them on our team, and he should still be on it.

Purdy has an extremely small sample size, and an incredible team and staff around him. Definitely a question mark.

Geno I like. I think he would undoubtedly make us a force.

Fields too. He has definitely proven himself. He hasn’t got any weapons in Chicago.

Edit:
Dak more a question mark imo than Fields. Probably Geno too. He is an int machine of sorts this year.

Last edited by punch it in; 12-21-2022 at 10:15 PM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:24 PM   #39
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
This.

Sure some o-line upgrade would help, but the QB position even covers those issues

I want a athletic QB in the first round

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:39 PM   #40
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
This is precisely why Washington needs to draft for need when the draft rolls around......QB in the 1st round, OL in the 2nd round, TE in the 3rd round, OL in the4th round, LB in the 5th round, CB in the 6th round, and WR in the 7th round.....
Old 12-22-2022, 03:54 AM   #41
That Guy
Living Legend

The last comment Ron made on Howell was that he still needed to fix his footwork - sloppy footwork = you get to the drop at the wrong time = WRs aren't where you expect them to be = improv offense.

That was weeks ago, I'm not against seeing what he's got, but I'm also not selling the farm that a random 5th-round QB is going to be the guy. Always a chance though I guess.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #42
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
My read on the team exactly. The only quibble one could make with the defense would be turnovers, and the lack of sacks is what contributed to no turnovers. But allowing 13 points says the gameplan worked whether you got the turnovers or not - we didn't rush the passer with abandon because of the way Jones hurts you with his legs. So it ain't the defense's fault.

It all comes back to QB, it's the reason we have such a small margin for error, and it's the reason that pounding the ball 35 times is our best chance to win. We can't make max use out of our passing game weapons without a QB and a line that can hold up better.

The failures are on Ron's personnel side more so than on the coaching side. Coming into the season with Norwell and Turner at guard was terrible. They are trying on the QB side. It's hard to land one. But there's no excuse for the guards.
This is all true.

For the O-line, we do need better players, but a lot of it is injuries too. This is the second year in a row that we've gone through at least 2 starting centers, and used 'I think' 4 different players at that position. Both guards have been injured, right tackle...by the way where is Cosmi? Is he not good enough to be one of the best 5? That too is worrisome. And the Ereck Flowers scenario is bizarre...there must be more to the story that we don't know, because he hasn't suited up for anyone this year.

QB has to be priority #1A, and O-line has to be priority #1B. Ideally Howell turns out to be the guy, but not having seen him at all in the regular season tells me he's probably not. But if he is, that will make addressing the O-line and other position groups so much easier, financial-wise.

I hope Scott and Norv have a nice Christmas together, and they talk a lot about the last couple weeks of the season, because ST needs some coaching. I hope the conversation revolves around this principle: K I S S
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:32 AM   #43
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Your future QB is sitting on the bench, inactive. River boat Ron should gamble and put him as a back up to TH, if TH struggles bring in Howell. He needs to find out what he has, he can’t be worse than either TH or CW. Going back to CW with BRob won’t make a difference, he’ll still get sacked, overthrow and make questionable decisions. I don’t care what Howell shows during practice, it’s not the same as being in a real game.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #44
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Your future QB is sitting on the bench, inactive. River boat Ron should gamble and put him as a back up to TH, if TH struggles bring in Howell. He needs to find out what he has, he can’t be worse than either TH or CW. Going back to CW with BRob won’t make a difference, he’ll still get sacked, overthrow and make questionable decisions. I don’t care what Howell shows during practice, it’s not the same as being in a real game.
You've been consistently optimistic about that. I do hope you are correct.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #45
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I've strongly considered Sam Howell.....this kid was once considered the best QB in division 1 college football.....he was a steal in the 5th round.....he very well could take over the command of the offense soon