Post Draft Free agency targets

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #151
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: Post Draft Free agency targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
LS like K and P are designated positions. I don't believe Sundberg ever lines up on the OL in a game?
Correct
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #152
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm not going to critique a guy on his first NFL snap. He's going to be nervous as all hell unless he's got ice blood. The coaches will have seen him in x snaps in training and will know from that if he's got a hope. They won't keep a guy around if he hasn't got the tools they can use, whether he needs coaching up or not. If he didn't look like he had potential from training they'd have set him loose with an injury settlement. But this summer is when he needs to prove it. If he stays healthy but struggles or simply can't stay healthy he'll be gone.
Again, I have absolutely not enough football knowledge nor watched enough of him to know nor say that he has no potential. I actually know for a fact he has some.
All I'm saying is acting like he's a lock to become an NFL starter is a bit of a stretch, he has to be behind a lot of people on the depth chart right now.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #153
SkinzWin
Playmaker

I don’t understand how a free agent LT signed for 1 year and $5 mil this late in free agency is grounds to automatically crown him our week 1 starter? Look at their stats the last two years. Lucas has been better in false starts, holds and sacks allowed. I just don’t get it.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #154
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Who's anointed him wk 1 starter? Coaching staff certainly haven't.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #155
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

You gotta feel real good about our tackle depth.

Lucas, Leno, Moses, Cosmi, gives us a lot of protection. 3 guys that have proven they can start in the NFL and 1 of the most athletic tackle prospects ever to groom for 2022 and beyond.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #156
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Who's anointed him wk 1 starter? Coaching staff certainly haven't.
I’ve seen more fans and media talking heads say that Leno will be the starter than I’ve seen say Lucas will be after this signing.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #157
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
I’ve seen more fans and media talking heads say that Leno will be the starter than I’ve seen say Lucas will be after this signing.
5 million for a legit starting LT in the league, even as a backup is still worth it.

Lucas already played for us, and played pretty well. So I hope he gets a fair chance to win the job. And I hope that he does win it.

I like the Leno signing whether he starts or not.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #158
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
I don’t understand how a free agent LT signed for 1 year and $5 mil this late in free agency is grounds to automatically crown him our week 1 starter? Look at their stats the last two years. Lucas has been better in false starts, holds and sacks allowed. I just don’t get it.
Lucas backed up Leno, thus the presumption that Leno is better. In head to head competition, admittedly a few years ago, Leno won out.
That doesn't mean this will happen now, but that is the basis for the assumption.
Leno made a Pro Bowl within last 3-4 years, a single time. Lucas never did.
And cetera.
I don't place stock in all this necessarily, but the assumption is hardly ludicrous. Leno 7th rounder I think, Lucas a UDFA. Neither is some wow-you player in terms of raw athletic talent.

Stats don't always tell the whole story.
Remember, we beat ONE winning team last year.
ONE.
We got SOUNDLY beaten by most winning teams we played.
Lot of causes.
One is getting absolutely owned by elite DLs and elite edge rushers when it counted.
Our OL is not as good as stats suggest. Our FO knows this, which is why we have brought several players on OL.

I doubt the FO knows who is starting. They just know that Lucas, while a solid mediocre to above average player, doesn't cut it against winning teams with elite talent on DL or Edge. Lucas should be a swing backup tackle, not a starter, in terms of making OL a strength of team like DL.

You hope Cosmi is plug and play week 1 starter, but if he struggles, what's the plan, with a 38-year old QB who is above average at best with perfect protection?

Lucas, Leno, Christian, and cetera, are all JAGs in one form or another, short-term stopgaps, not long-term answers.

Washington doesn't sign Leno unless they think he is significantly better than Lucas. But they also probably plan to let competition sort it out. That being said, if you have to pick a starter for a depth chart, Leno not absurd. Question is how much of deal guaranteed, cost to cut?

To me, the more curious slotting is the presumption than Charles must be a G. End of this year, we have three Ts under contract: Cosmi, Charles, Moses. We will also have lots of guys counting larger numbers against cap. Moses is in last year of his deal and starts to look very expendable; start of 2022 he is 32, can be cut with no dead cap, and counts $7.5M. Charles is very good in space and pass blocking, but lacks strength and punch. He is the last sort of player you would want to move to G, where strength to take on huge DTs is essential. Maybe you keep 5 Ts and have him backup G, but he should be kept at T and developed, at a minimum as a potential starting RT in 2022 or swing backup T. We did not see Charles fail at T, ala Scherff. Charles got hurt. He should be kept at his more natural position T and developed there, and at minimum can be a swing backup T in 2022.

Very interesting decisions about present vs. future loom this year at OT. Cosmi, Charles young promising players on rookie deals, both with immense athletic upside. Everyone else older, less naturally athletic, and approaching wrong side of 30 on short term deals. Does not seem a sound decision to give roster spots for Cosmi Charles to stopgaps, unless Charles is unhealthy again, in which case he might just be stashed on IR again and be relegated to 4th T next year with a high pick spent on another T.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 AM   #159
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Tyler Larsen
Or Ismael.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:26 AM   #160
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The talking heads clip described Lokombo as playing the boundary halfback. Does that equate to what was mentioned earlier.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Hope so, but don't think so, in terms of deep center fielder. I'm not a big CFL guy, but LOT more space for DBs to cover, LOL, and I think the boundary halfback is like a slot DB close to line, but has more of a run support as well. Don't quote me on that. Does that mean bigger press CB? Not based on guys stats, he's like five foot ten or something?

But there is certainly room for a better 5th or 6th CB as well. Even if he's just a good slot corner. We have Jackson, Fuller, Juste, Moreland, and then a steep dropoff. If he is nothing more than a solid 6th CB, that is still essentially a free 5th round pick.

You factor in Reyes, the RB UDFA, Flowers, etc., it all starts to add up.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 AM   #161
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Or Ismael.
Go Aztecs!
Old 05-14-2021, 12:28 AM   #162
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I am honestly a little confused about this Leno signing honestly. I figured the T situation was Moses on the RT, and then it's a battle between Cosmi and Lucas for LT, with the other guy being the swing.

Now you get Leno - does it really improve you much over Lucas? It seems to be the end for Christian and Sharpe, which is a good thing. But we paid $5M here and I don't think the starting lineup got any better. Depth certainly did.

Seems we are setting up to have capable players deep at every position.

G is Scherff, Schweitzer, Charles, Flowers, all are capable or promising
T is Moses, Leno, Lucas, Cosmi all capable or promising
and C of course is Roullier

All of those guys can reasonably make a case for being a starter in this league with I guess Charles being the most questionable.

But if you weren't drafted or signed by Rivera and you play offensive line, you're in trouble.

Anyway, rambling post. Good depth move but $5M is a lot to not improve your starting lineup, so meh.
How much to cut Leno? We don't know that.
Nothing wrong with lots of competition.
If Lucas or Cosmi or Moses or Charles goes down, the signing looks brilliant.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #163
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Scalper makes a good point about next year. Had we gone into this season with only Moses, Lucas, Charles and Sharpe as our top 3 T's, next year we'd have 2 serviceable guys at 30+, a seemingly injury prone prospect and a 25 yo average at best backup. And 2 of those guys would have to be resigned or allowed to walk. So of course we strengthen T this year.

But it seems to have been done with a view to next year too. Lucas could be gone assuming he makes the roster this year. Leno is on a 1yr deal. Moses could easily be gone next year. If Leno re-captures his pro bowl form he likely gets re-signed. That could well put Cosmi at RT next year. So subject to drafting a starting T next year, we have 2 starting T's on good deals, Charles hopefully able to back them up or even start on a good deal. If it all plays out it gives the FO the freedom to draft a T as BPA not as a need (I'd argue Cosmi borders on BPA but definitely was a need). That's potentially 4 T's with starting quality on team friendly deals.

And I agree, this signing right now could easily double as injury insurance for Charles or Moses.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #164
MTK
\m/

Yeah the deck along the OL seems pretty stacked right now, seems like a little overkill but let's see how it goes. Ron must have a plan.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #165
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Anyone actually able to work out our cap hit next year if we let every OL FA walk in March 2022? Got to be pretty low per head I would think, as it stands. No Moses, No Scherff...