Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What's your take on our coaching?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan be on the "hot seat"?
Yes 39 27.46%
No 103 72.54%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
The Goat
Pro Bowl

What's your take on our coaching?

Starting with the top down...

My frustration with Mike is building. I think as the "big picture" goes he's wasted two years with the QB situation and (therefor) to a large extent the offense. To be sure Kyle has much to do with the QB mess, assuming he's the primary reason we have Rex on the roster at all. But at the end of the day Mike is still the HC. The other frustration with Mike is our lack of preparedness, especially on offense and teams. The delay of game today on the field goal turned punt is a prime example.

In general I don't feel like the offense consistently works together and fights to win. When Helu took a big shot today on that short pass (he couldn't make the catch and got the wind knocked out of him) just one player, a lineman I think, came over to check on him, and that guy didn't even help Helu up. WTF?! This kid is a promising rookie and just got plastered. I think the lack of camaraderie on offense is a symptom of Mike's failure in leadership.

On the defense there's plenty of camaraderie and these guys are definitely fighting to win. Haslett is a great motivator IMHO. His scheme is suspect part of the time, but I will go on record Haslett has exceeded my expectations.

So, I'm disappointed in the Shanahans and pretty damn impressed with Haslett. Very curious to know what ya'll are thinking...so discuss!

PS I think Mike's history as a returning 2X championship HC has to be taken into account when assessing his performance here. I definitely expected him to come in with a solid plan of action and have the offense, especially the QB situation, moving in a better direction by now.

Advertisements
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: What's your take on our coaching?

Well mike came into a cluster **** of a team that went 4-12 let's b real here.. Hes done a very good job of drafting and has the team competitive. I still say this team wins 8/9 games and that's pretty good IMO
Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
skins89moss
Playmaker

My take is that the Redskin coaches no more about the NFL game than any fool on here who tries to pretend he knows more.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Bucket
Playmaker

I think building a defense is a little different then building on offense. We focused a lot on defense in the offseason and it's showing. I'm happy with our defense this year, and I think we have a playoff caliber defense.

When building an offense, you need one essential part. A QUARTERBACK.... You can load him up with talent, and you may be able to squeek by with an average record or even make the playoffs, but you really need a QB and we didn't have that in Rex.

Will we have that in Beck? Only time will tell, and knowing Redskin nation. Most of us will "know" by next week. =)

I do like Kyle's play calling. A lot of people were begging for the run this week, but we really didn't have anywhere to run. I remember getting stuffed on almost every play. Now, that's when the Eagles were thinking pass as we were down most of the game. Imagine if the Eagles actually played the run? I think it would of been even worse.

Shanny's know what they have in this team at the moment, and it's a work hard attitude and younger roster which isn't ready to play with the big boys. It's only typical that most Redskin fans have Daniel Snyder syndrome and wanna call for these guys heads after 2 years. When it was Snyder who blew this team up for the past 10 years.

Give it some patience boys. No Super Bowls this year, but it doesn't mean we wont win games and keep getting better.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
GTripp0012
Living Legend

We don't show any specific signs of being a poorly coached team. If you limit the assessment to just the interaction between the coaches and the players, the players respect the coaches and they respond to them, so it's not that we're suffering from being a poorly coached team.

We are suffering from being a bad team, particularly on the offensive side. And so then you have to ask questions. What were the reasonable expectations for this year. Contention in the NFC East. Internally, that sounds like it was pretty much the case. We expected to beat teams like the Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles with our current personnel. If not, I doubt we would have built the team this way. So far, we're 1-2 on offense, but the pass defense has shown up three straight times.

What's troubling about the coaching is not that the offense isn't good, but that the coaches wanted you to believe this would work. Just trust us, they said. John Beck is better than you think. Rex Grossman is better than you think. Chris Chester is the missing piece of our offensive line. We'll manage the situation, and we'll use the running game. We'll make it work.

I don't know if they were necessarily wrong so much as that they thought they themselves (Kyle and Mike Shanahan) were the missing link in the chain that would make all of this effort worth it. But if Mike Shanahan was planning on building a team in his own image that wins on discipline, on down and distance, and on a couple of big plays a game, he picked the wrong guy to call that offense.

Mike was being silly to think that he could be hands off with the offense, and still build it in his own image. He should have built an offense that Kyle can win with: doesn't run much, but it can drop back 45 times per game and hit open receivers. He hasn't built that. He's not even building towards that. Our head coach and OC aren't anywhere near the same page. And we can't fix that. Because they have a relationship that goes beyond their professional one.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
My take is that the Redskin coaches no more about the NFL game than any fool on here who tries to pretend he knows more.
My take is that football isn't rocket science and the coaches aren't infallible.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Our 2 losses have nothing to do with coaching, blame Rex Grossman. People complaint about KS, who would you like as your OC? Brian Shottenhimer? Go ask Santonio Holmes how he feels. KS
Has done a decent job, the Redskins
Move the ball up and down the field, the problem is in the RZ. I would like to see Austin and Paul more involved.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

It seems like the OP's take is more concerned with Mike the GM than Mike the coach.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I don't know if they were necessarily wrong so much as that they thought they themselves (Kyle and Mike Shanahan) were the missing link in the chain that would make all of this effort worth it. But if Mike Shanahan was planning on building a team in his own image that wins on discipline, on down and distance, and on a couple of big plays a game, he picked the wrong guy to call that offense.

Mike was being silly to think that he could be hands off with the offense, and still build it in his own image. He should have built an offense that Kyle can win with: doesn't run much, but it can drop back 45 times per game and hit open receivers. He hasn't built that. He's not even building towards that. Our head coach and OC aren't anywhere near the same page. And we can't fix that. Because they have a relationship that goes beyond their professional one.
Excellent points. Agree 100%.

I'll add, based on being in the NFC East (bad weather late in the year) and how our team is built currently, the best bet is to build in MS's image.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

My take is you can't turn a team into a superbowl contender after one off season.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
My take is you can't turn a team into a superbowl contender after one off season.
But can you turn it into a .500 team with some promise in two offseasons?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
pg86
No new threads for you

My take is Wait until next week before u call the season dead....were still in this. 2 loses and we were supposed to be worst right now
pg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
But can you turn it into a .500 team with some promise in two offseasons?
Different of opinions I suppose, and we can only wait till the end of the season to decide on who was right, but I think we are a .500 team and we have one of the most talented youthful teams we've had here in years.

I was beating up Rocky Mc. all year last year, but he's finally looking better every game like the coaches said he would, and D. Hall is having a great year as well. Wilson is a great #2 and could possibly be our #1, and we don't even need to talk about our D Line.

We are adding the pieces and at a much cheaper price and younger age, and it's showing all around.

Future is bright in my eyes, and 3-2 is much better for Redskins Nation then 2-4.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
It seems like the OP's take is more concerned with Mike the GM than Mike the coach.
Or is it Mike, Kyle and Bruce playing GM? Let me ask it another way: how many GM's would go into the season w/ Rex and John Beck as the only QBs on the roster? I think a lot of the predicament has to do w/ Kyle saying he can make Rex a significantly better QB than he's been up to this point in his career. Because of scheme. Because of play-calling. Well, Rex is who he's always been. Now we'll all find out who John Beck is...I hope we get lucky
Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Different of opinions I suppose, and we can only wait till the end of the season to decide on who was right, but I think we are a .500 team and we have one of the most talented youthful teams we've had here in years.

I was beating up Rocky Mc. all year last year, but he's finally looking better every game like the coaches said he would, and D. Hall is having a great year as well. Wilson is a great #2 and could possibly be our #1, and we don't even need to talk about our D Line.

We are adding the pieces and at a much cheaper price and younger age, and it's showing all around.

Future is bright in my eyes, and 3-2 is much better for Redskins Nation then 2-4.
If you ignore the run defense, we're one of the four or five best defenses in the NFL. But the only way we are going to discourage teams from running on us is to score points in bunches.

I don't see the offensive woes as a "lets change the quarterback, then wait and see." That may be a difference of opinion, sure, but even the parts of the offense I was counting on: the receivers and the backs, just haven't been good. And it's because those guys haven't been good that we've gotten to a point after just five games where Grossman is no longer a viable quarterback.

Not only did that experiment fail, but it failed so spectacularly that we couldn't even finish up our third home game of the season without it blowing up on our home turf. Should Grossman be held responsible for his role in this? Of course. But if you can't even manage a quarterback like Rex Grossman (or John Beck) to hide their weaknesses for five games, how in the world did you think you'd be able to survive 16?