Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What's your take on our coaching?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan be on the "hot seat"?
Yes 39 27.46%
No 103 72.54%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #61
irish
Playmaker

Re: What's your take on our coaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The way rookie QBs come in and contribute right away these days, there's no reason that a rookie QB can't be factor next season with solid pieces around him. A QB is absolutely critical, I made the point that I thought we should have even added two young QBs this past offseason, but in the meantime we are building a solid core around that position
Yes, rookie QBs come in and play right away, the days of sitting around for 2 or 3 years to learn are over. QB is obviously the Skins biggest probelem because the NFL is a QB league and the Skins dont have one.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #62
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
The way rookie QBs come in and contribute right away these days, there's no reason that a rookie QB can't be factor next season with solid pieces around him. A QB is absolutely critical, I made the point that I thought we should have even added two young QBs this past offseason, but in the meantime we are building a solid core around that position
I would have liked to see them pick up a QB in the later rounds. A 4th/5th/6th round QB would not have cost the team much, and it would have been an option if the worst were to happen (both Rex and Beck screwing up). At the least, we could have ended up with a third-stringer or back-up for 2012.
R.I.P. #21

Last edited by Ruhskins; 10-17-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #63
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Yes, rookie QBs come in and play right away, the days of sitting around for 2 or 3 years to learn are over. QB is obviously the Skins biggest probelem because the NFL is a QB league and the Skins dont have one.
But most of those QB's came in with a decent OL waiting to protect them. We had neither a decent QB nor a decent OL. If we drafted a QB he would have been learning on the go with out an OL to protect him. As Smoot said hopefully with all the young talent at OL next year whoever we bring in will already have an established OL to protect them while they learn the game and scheme.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #64
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I would have liked to see them pick up a QB in the later rounds. A 4th/5th/6th round QB would not have cost the team much, and it would have been an option if the worst were to happen (both Rex and Beck screwing up). At the least, we could have ended up with a third-stringer or back-up for 2012.
You already got that?..... in Jonathan Crompton. He was drafted in the 5th round of 2010 by the Chargers. He not good enough for you? This is what you get from a 5th rounder.... practice squad material.

But if you want we all can start the chant for Crompton just in case Beck does not work out.

Crompton, Crompton, Crompton.............
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #65
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
You already got that?..... in Jonathan Crompton. He was drafted in the 5th round of 2010 by the Chargers. He not good enough for you? This is what you get from a 5th rounder.... practice squad material.

But if you want we all can start the chant for Crompton just in case Beck does not work out.

Crompton, Crompton, Crompton....
The closer we get to elimination, the more likely you are to hear that chant from me.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #66
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Crompton the new Bartel?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #67
Meks
Pro Bowl

trade deadline less than 24 hours away .. wonder if our coaches, will be tryna.make.ne moves
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #68
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Crompton the new Bartel?
If we had kept Bartel and developed him, we might have a very different QB scene right now. But that's water under the bridge.

What is relevant now is that neither Beck nor Rex are real options for the future. The sooner we can begin to turn over our QB roster, the better.

I don't know if Crompton is ready to play now - needless to say, I've never seen him throw a pass as a Redskin. But at worst case, if we are eliminated we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving him the ball. He might or might not work out but either way we will have moved towards a real future at the position.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #69
Gary84Clark

Quote:
As long as we know what we doing. Kyle needs to be humble and listen to his dad. His marginal success in Houston was be cause of talent not because of his genius.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #70
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I dunno, Kyle still seems like a kid to me.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #71
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Kyle drives me nuts. To be sure, he is an excellent designer of pass plays and seems to always get someone open. But his playcalling, especially in the red zone, is suspect. And his game planning seems dim. This team needs to run to win, especially against poor run defenses, but Kyle appears to be unaware of this, just as he seemed unaware of the run when he was in Houston.

Mike has brought us a professionalism which was sorely lacking before and I appreciate it. But he lacks the necessary professional relationship with his offensive coordinator. When it is time to tweak things, does he undertake the actions appropriate for a head coach? And if/when it is time to find a new OC, will Mike recognize this and follow through appropriately?
I'll say this about Laurainitis' pick of Rex Grossman: it was a poorly designed trap pass. For all the talk about how great of a play designer KS is, he designed a play where its a two receiver route, and the receivers (who cross off the snap) sit down in the linebacker's coverage zone. That Grossman pick was on KS.

He's definitely got a bit of John Shoop in him. I don't think he understands coverages too well, or at least the difference between anticipating man coverage and anticipating zone coverage. And I think that's an important ability of a playcaller which he doesn't have.

He could cover up a lot of these issues by calling more 4 and 5 receiver patterns. But Kyle and Mike both put a huge premium on protecting the QB. Such a huge premium that our offense is limited because of it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #72
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I'll say this about Laurainitis' pick of Rex Grossman: it was a poorly designed trap pass. For all the talk about how great of a play designer KS is, he designed a play where its a two receiver route, and the receivers (who cross off the snap) sit down in the linebacker's coverage zone. That Grossman pick was on KS.

He's definitely got a bit of John Shoop in him. I don't think he understands coverages too well, or at least the difference between anticipating man coverage and anticipating zone coverage. And I think that's an important ability of a playcaller which he doesn't have.

He could cover up a lot of these issues by calling more 4 and 5 receiver patterns. But Kyle and Mike both put a huge premium on protecting the QB. Such a huge premium that our offense is limited because of it.
There is nothing wrong with limiting the offense to protect the QB. Ball security is job one. But when you have Rex just floating it out there like Claussen did last year for the Panthers, then we have a problem. It's not a sin to punt the ball and let Haz win the game. Protect the QB, don't turn it over then you win. Kyle wants his offense to look a certain way, I just want the Redskins to win.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #73
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Kyle drives me nuts. To be sure, he is an excellent designer of pass plays and seems to always get someone open. But his playcalling, especially in the red zone, is suspect. And his game planning seems dim. This team needs to run to win, especially against poor run defenses, but Kyle appears to be unaware of this, just as he seemed unaware of the run when he was in Houston.

Mike has brought us a professionalism which was sorely lacking before and I appreciate it. But he lacks the necessary professional relationship with his offensive coordinator. When it is time to tweak things, does he undertake the actions appropriate for a head coach? And if/when it is time to find a new OC, will Mike recognize this and follow through appropriately?
Brilliant post Lotus. This sharpens up the concerns I wanted to express.

Good point as well about the offensive scheme in Houston! I don't think that team developed a dominant ground attack until Kyle left, and now we seem to see him "wasting" our talent in that regard. It's pretty ironic considering Mike's history as one of the sports most successful rushing-scheme coaches.

As others have said w/ injuries to the o-line the best way to get that unit going is to run the rock and grind away at the defense. Committing to the run is also a great idea when half your QB's completions are to the wrong effing team.

...hate you Kyle lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #74
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
PS I think Mike's history as a returning 2X championship HC has to be taken into account when assessing his performance here. I definitely expected him to come in with a solid plan of action and have the offense, especially the QB situation, moving in a better direction by now.
Goat:

When Mike Shanahan showed up in San Fran to be the offensive coordinator, the QB was Steve Young. And there was some guy named Rice on the team too... Let's just say, there wasn't much that needed "fixing".

When Mike Shanahan showed up in Denver to be the head coach, John Elway was the QB. And there were guys named Davis and Sharpe on the team too... Let's just say there wasn't much that needed "fixing".

When Mike Shanahan showed up here in DC, he had Jason Campbell to deal with and no WRs worth the time of day, and he decided that was not going to work for him. Hey, if you are used to having Young and Elway waiting for you, I can see how a welcoming committee of Jason Campbell would surely be "disappointing".

The problem is that Mike Shanahan made a bet and lost that bet. The bet was that Donovan McNabb had two or three good years left in him and that would give Shanahan the time to find a free-agent or a kid in the draft or a guy in the Canadian League or an Arena Leaguer or...

Last year when he benched McNabb in the Detroit game with 2 minutes to play, the most prominent reaction was along the lines of:
OK, he benched McNabb because he wasn't playing well but WTF HE PUT IN REX "BLEEPING" GROSSMAN!!
Shanahan's problem is that he does not have a top-shelf QB on the roster. He is going to say all the right things about Grossman and Beck and Clemens and any other guy who is here on the roster with a QB label on him; that is what coaches do. Those pronouncements do not change the facts however; he does not have a good QB to play yet.

The effect of his "losing the bet" on McNabb will wear off at the end of this year when he can figure out what his next wager will be. Right now, he is hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with one of these guys getting on a streak where one of them plays WAAY over their heads for a 10-game stretch. It can happen; it's not likely to happen, but it can happen.

Don't be too angry. He actually did have a plan when he came here as to how he was going to make the offense better. He implemented that plan and lost his bet on the key guy in the plan. That is a minor hiccup and not a fatal flaw...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #75
Bucket
Playmaker

Screw protecting QB's... Where is Steve Spurrier when you need him?
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote