Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #46
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Would the Saints really let the actual mayor of New Orleans get away? Brees is just one small notch below Jesus down here.
They're far apart...but both sides want an agreement so I suspect an agreement will be reached.

But maybe, just maybe, they won't be able to keep Brees and their back-up. What's his name?

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #47
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

^ Yeah it's that Charlie Daniel guy right?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #48
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They're far apart...but both sides want an agreement so I suspect an agreement will be reached.

But maybe, just maybe, they won't be able to keep Brees and their back-up. What's his name?
On a side note (from the D. Brees talk): Smoot, what is your take on the colts situation? Do you see some power plays coming and do you have any sense on where A. Luck will finally land?
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #49
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
On a side note (from the D. Brees talk): Smoot, what is your take on the colts situation? Do you see some power plays coming and do you have any sense on where A. Luck will finally land?
I couldn't even begin to guess. I think whoever finishes the worst record, and I think it will be the Colts (barring something unforeseen), will draft and keep Luck.

I don't think even the Colts thought they'd be in this situation
Old 12-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #50
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

If the Aints let Brees go, the rioting in NOLA will be ugly...the fans' feelings of betrayal will be deep.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #51
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Doesn't matter. Who ever has the top pick in the draft holds all the cards. If Luck pulls an Eli and does not sign with the team that drafted him, in all likelihood he will leave MILLIONS on the table.

When a player decides not to sign with the team that drafted him, he has to sign a contract by a specified date (sometime in October I think). If unsigned by that date, then his only recourse is that he re-enters the following years draft. Even after the signing deadline, the drafting team still owns the rights to him.

And when he re-enters the following years draft, he is almost assuredly going to be drafted in a later round. That means a loss of a lot of money.

Teams will not "gamble" a first or second round draft pick on a guy who already has proven that if he does not want to play for you, he won't. Best to pick him in the later rounds.

And I believe that when the player is selected in that second draft, the original drafting team gets their draft pick back.

So If the Colts select him in the first round of 2012. Luck does not sign. Enters the 2013 draft. And if he is selected by another team in the 2013 draft, the Colts get their original first round draft pick back in 2014 draft.

The only caveat being that if Luck re-enters the 2013 draft, the original drafting team in 2012 (Colts for example) are forbidden from drafting him a second time.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #52
saden1
MVP

Brees isn't leaving the Saints...the man is elite and has at least 2 great years and 2 solid years left in the tank. The Saints will pay him what he wants for sure.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #53
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Doesn't matter. Who ever has the top pick in the draft holds all the cards. If Luck pulls an Eli and does not sign with the team that drafted him, in all likelihood he will leave MILLIONS on the table.

When a player decides not to sign with the team that drafted him, he has to sign a contract by a specified date (sometime in October I think). If unsigned by that date, then his only recourse is that he re-enters the following years draft. Even after the signing deadline, the drafting team still owns the rights to him.

And when he re-enters the following years draft, he is almost assuredly going to be drafted in a later round. That means a loss of a lot of money.

Teams will not "gamble" a first or second round draft pick on a guy who already has proven that if he does not want to play for you, he won't. Best to pick him in the later rounds.

And I believe that when the player is selected in that second draft, the original drafting team gets their draft pick back.

So If the Colts select him in the first round of 2012. Luck does not sign. Enters the 2013 draft. And if he is selected by another team in the 2013 draft, the Colts get their original first round draft pick back in 2014 draft.

The only caveat being that if Luck re-enters the 2013 draft, the original drafting team in 2012 (Colts for example) are forbidden from drafting him a second time.
Is this true? Can someone confirm?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #54
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Archie Manning says son, Andrew Luck could coexist as quarterbacks in Indianapolis - The Washington Post

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #55
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Is this true? Can someone confirm?
True
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #56
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Saints won't let Brees go and Colts won't let 18 go.. Why would they??
Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #57
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Well it seems as though the Colts would get Luck if they get the #1 draft choice of 2012. As it looks like they are going to get that. But IMHO, Peyton M wouldn't allow that. And would try to prevent that from happening. Still hurt or not, Manning is the face of the Colts.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #58
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I hope not. I never liked Elway for pulling that shit on the Baltimore Colts and Eli on SD. As much as I love Luck I would dislike him if he pulled that crap too.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #59
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I hope not. I never liked Elway for pulling that shit on the Baltimore Colts and Eli on SD. As much as I love Luck I would dislike him if he pulled that crap too.
If I said to you that you can be picked first overall by the Cleveland Browns and make 3 million or you can go to the dolphins in Miami for the second overall pick and make 2.5 million, where would you rather go?

Not appealing to be going to Cleveland when you could be in beautiful sunny Miami. Thats one of the reasons why these guys don't want to go to certain places.

Also keep in mind most the time it is the parents that want whats best for the kids.

Where would you rather go? San Diego with AJ Smith who doesn't let players go and makes them all play by his rules, or Giants which is a stable franchise with a winning past, but in a city with critical fans? Thats what Eli faced, But it was Archie who said I don't want Eli going there because AJ Smith is the Lord of No Rings. My son has a better chance of getting and doing what he wants in New York, than he does in Sunny San Diego.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #60
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post

Okay, I looked it up on the NFLPA web site that has the 2011 CBA in it's entirety on there.

The contract sign date is actually the tenth week of the regular season. If the draftee does not sign by week 10, then he can re-enter the next years draft. Unless, before the next draft he agrees to a deal with the club that drafted him, that deal is for the NEXT season and he is ineligible to play after week 10 even if he signs a contract. He would actually start playing the next league year.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote