Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post Draft Free agency targets

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #91
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: Post Draft Free agency targets

Based on WFT's actions in the past week, I think WFT isn't interested in signing Boston. Boston has been available ever since the beginning of FA and there's no news of WFT reaching out to Boston, and then we immediately asked McCain to visit us right after he was released.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #92
SunnySide
Playmaker

Weve been adding hybrid type players, RR uses the word "position flex", sports radio guys talk the emergence of "positionless" players on defense.

I wouldnt be surprised if they dont even use the term FS. Everett is the closest we have to a traditional FS but I imagine he gets maybe 50% or less of D snaps (injuries dictating play aside)

Collins, Curl, Fuller will be moved all around the field.

Curl will probably play 3rd CB on big nickel with big nickle being our most used package.

For the most part .. we schemed and masked our personnel weaknesses in the secondary last year. With our front 4 it makes it easier. Hopefully it continues in 2021.

edit - pretty sure i heard radio guys say the team talked to collins about LB but he said no.

Last edited by SunnySide; 05-10-2021 at 12:31 PM.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #93
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Good point. You could argue that traditional depth charts need re-thinking/writing. RB by committee alone makes the traditional depth chart a bit of a waste of time, At best it can only be used as a guide. Coaches are probably quite happy with it though, as it doesn't really give anything away about the packages we'll actually use.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #94
SunnySide
Playmaker

According to John Keim of ESPN, Washington is talking to Collins about switching positions.

“I initially dismissed [Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah] as a possible pick, even though I know they liked him in this range (19th pick overall). But I know they’re talking to Landon Collins about a move to the same position. … This potential move doesn’t take JOK off their list,” Keim stated during his podcast.

Collins initially shot down the idea of moving to linebacker on social media, saying “not happening…”

However, Washington head coach Ron Rivera had a much different tone earlier this month.

“That was Landon,” Rivera said. ““Our plan for Landon is to have him here, have him compete and have him be a part of what we’re doing going forward,” Rivera said.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...16457_34730234
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #95
EdmundDorf
The Starter

JDR stated Collins is a SS and would be playing there
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #96
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Weve been adding hybrid type players, RR uses the word "position flex", sports radio guys talk the emergence of "positionless" players on defense.

I wouldnt be surprised if they dont even use the term FS. Everett is the closest we have to a traditional FS but I imagine he gets maybe 50% or less of D snaps (injuries dictating play aside)

Curl will probably play 3rd CB on big nickel with big nickle being our most used package.

For the most part .. we schemed and masked our personnel weaknesses in the secondary last year. With our front 4 it makes it easier. Hopefully it continues in 2021.

edit - pretty sure i heard radio guys say the team talked to collins about LB but he said no.
Makes sense. How often did we see a true 4-3 with 4 in the dirt?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #97
njant
Special Teams

Any word on MCCain or Leno signing or not with us .
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:27 PM   #98
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Based on WFT's actions in the past week, I think WFT isn't interested in signing Boston. Boston has been available ever since the beginning of FA and there's no news of WFT reaching out to Boston, and then we immediately asked McCain to visit us right after he was released.
I think Boston is a guy you don't have to rush to sign. He was a solid but not elite FS who has lost a step. We can't have known McCain would be released. I favor giving reps to younger players with upside, but the problem is we have lots of second string FS at best and no starter. McCain was once a CB I believe, is undersized, but seems to be a true center fielder FS. He's 27. If the price is right, could be a smart signing, but he isn't some world beater and may not be the long term answer. He has what Skins love, position flexibility, and a 1 or 2 year deal for $2-$4M per year might make sense. He would easily be best FS on our roster, but that isn't saying much.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #99
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njant View Post
Any word on MCCain or Leno signing or not with us .
Leno and McCain both just met with the team yesterday, so we should know something soon. I hope we sign both.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1391743446663278594

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...685047296?s=20
Old 05-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #100
njant
Special Teams

I agree I think both will make us that much better especially McCain.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #101
skinsnut
Playmaker

Leno isnt that much of an upgrade at LT and may stunt the growth of our youth. McCain aint that great either, but a turd would be better than out free safeties. I bet we dont sign either
Old 05-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #102
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Could be.
McCain a much better player than Boston at this point.
With Curl, Collins, Reaves, Forrest, might be room for a 5th.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #103
njant
Special Teams

Very disappointed looks like we are not going to sign McCain or Leno or both we could of really used them both especially McCain at FS
Old 05-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #104
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njant View Post
Very disappointed looks like we are not going to sign McCain or Leno or both we could of really used them both especially McCain at FS
Did something specific come out? I think we still may sign one or both. Since these contracts are usually not eye popping value, this part of free agency can take longer for contracts to get signed as players mull their options.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #105
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Call it what you want, we need someone who can play deep center or deep half in passing situations.