Happy New Year - Ring in the year with a wish and a warning

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-03-2024, 10:52 AM   #46
mredskins
MVP

Re: Happy New Year - Ring in the year with a wish and a warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Wait you're 50 now??? That just made me feel old. I have been a member here for 17 years
i remember when you first came and everyone was annoyed with your immature =)

time flies

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2024, 10:56 AM   #47
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
So you're suggesting they're more likely to trade our picks for draft capital than trading up to #1?

Not sure it would have to be a slash and burn approach though. Even if they don't draft a top QB, it wouldn't need a hoard of picks to rebuild most of this roster. With cap space and the picks we do have, we could rebuild the OL and LB cadre, get a good DE and improve the secondary, plus probably add a good (great?) WR. Right coaching and we'd be competitive next year. They want revenue and the best way to do that is give the fans hope, not effectively tell them "another 2 years folks).
That was the whole thinking in Philly, it was almost a marketing campaign; kept telling the fan base to trust THE PROCESS; process became a noun, this unseen entity that the fan base had to be patient for; it hasn't paid off in championships but PHL has been pretty elite for awhile now
Old 01-03-2024, 12:04 PM   #48
Hoglips
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
So you're suggesting they're more likely to trade our picks for draft capital than trading up to #1?

Not sure it would have to be a slash and burn approach though. Even if they don't draft a top QB, it wouldn't need a hoard of picks to rebuild most of this roster. With cap space and the picks we do have, we could rebuild the OL and LB cadre, get a good DE and improve the secondary, plus probably add a good (great?) WR. Right coaching and we'd be competitive next year. They want revenue and the best way to do that is give the fans hope, not effectively tell them "another 2 years folks).
The so-called "Process" would stomp any remaining loyalty out of this fan base, I think. It would feel like an extension of the Snyder-era exhaustion.
Hoglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:01 PM   #49
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglips View Post
The so-called "Process" would stomp any remaining loyalty out of this fan base, I think. It would feel like an extension of the Snyder-era exhaustion.
at this point who is still here is probably staying, the hope is to grow the base

I am not saying the PROCESS is great bad or whatever, i am just showing how harris has done it in the past and generally the past predicts the future

whether you want believe it or not we are in the process right now; if anyone thinks we are going be the ravens next year, be prepared to be disappointed
Old 01-03-2024, 02:24 PM   #50
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
That was the whole thinking in Philly, it was almost a marketing campaign; kept telling the fan base to trust THE PROCESS; process became a noun, this unseen entity that the fan base had to be patient for; it hasn't paid off in championships but PHL has been pretty elite for awhile now

Big Sixers fan here. The process has had a lot of ups and downs. There were definitely some piss poor draft choices and hires in that organization that stalled “the process”. Overall though, they have become perennial contenders so I trust Harris.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:28 PM   #51
Ruhskins
Living Legend

My wish: a good GM and coach hire, and a good draft that gets us our franchise QB.

My warning: for people to realize that a lot of opinions they have are being influence by Ashburn syndrome.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:43 PM   #52
Hoglips
Camp Scrub

Quote:
at this point who is still here is probably staying, the hope is to grow the base

I am not saying the PROCESS is great bad or whatever, i am just showing how harris has done it in the past and generally the past predicts the future

whether you want believe it or not we are in the process right now; if anyone thinks we are going be the ravens next year, be prepared to be disappointed
Thank you for the background--maybe I should have directed my post at you, but I appreciate the civil response.

I believe that we are the Commieskins right now ;-) so we're not winning anything next year, but a 2-15 year in 2024 would definitely be deflating. My issue is that "the process" in Year 3 will send me running to the hills!
Hoglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:43 PM   #53
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Big Sixers fan here. The process has had a lot of ups and downs. There were definitely some piss poor draft choices and hires in that organization that stalled “the process”. Overall though, they have become perennial contenders so I trust Harris.
The ability to correct mistakes and move forwards is a good sign. No way we're going to hit on every player in the draft. But that's not an excuse to be as terrible as we always are.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 05:33 PM   #54
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
QB above all else.

If a new GM thinks a trade up to grab their guy is necessary then just do it.
Fuck no. Did we not learn our lesson or learn one from the 49ers, the Browns, the Bears....etc...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. If we trade up, this franchise is fucked. Period.

Also, just having a QB doesn't mean jack shit. Look at the Chiefs record right now and they got the best on the planet.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:26 PM   #55
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I am Celtics fan so I have watched it over the years

The NBA is a whole different beast then NFL ; the players in the NBA rule the roost; you get 3 superstars and they want play together they can make a huge impact very quickly

The NFL the best teams are built through the draft and some timely FA pick ups
Old 01-03-2024, 09:46 PM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Fuck no. Did we not learn our lesson or learn one from the 49ers, the Browns, the Bears....etc...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. If we trade up, this franchise is fucked. Period.

Also, just having a QB doesn't mean jack shit. Look at the Chiefs record right now and they got the best on the planet.
I generally agree, and if we have the 2nd, and Chicago tries to get some crazy compensation then don't do it. BUT, if they take their 2nd back and next year's first, and the FO is absolutely convinced of the best one, then they should take the shot.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:56 AM   #57
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I am Celtics fan so I have watched it over the years

The NBA is a whole different beast then NFL ; the players in the NBA rule the roost; you get 3 superstars and they want play together they can make a huge impact very quickly

The NFL the best teams are built through the draft and some timely FA pick ups

I actually had said the same in my post about the nfl being a different animal. I edited it out. Totally agree though.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:33 AM   #58
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

How many SBs have they won with him so far?
Old 01-04-2024, 09:47 AM   #59
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
How many SBs have they won with him so far?
Exactly there will be down years but they are always in the mix

honestly he gets in the playoffs, don't count him out, the nfl is a one and done playoff system ; KC on any given Sunday could beat anyone
Old 01-04-2024, 10:37 AM   #60
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Agreed on both counts.

We fuck up picking the wrong qb it will set this franchise back another 3-5 years.

Cred I agree, I'd love a name change. But it's not a priority. Whatever the name is I want people to put respect on it because we're a tough team to play.
Clev Browns are going to the playoffs and winning games with a QB they picked up off the couch. It won't set us back 3-5 years.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote